win32api version 4

Wayne Stambaugh
As of version 4 of win32api, wxWidgets 2.9.x fails to build with both
gcc 4.7.2 and the latest 4.8.1 with the following error:

In file included from
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/msw/gccpriv.h:22:0,
                 from
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/platform.h:455,
                 from
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/defs.h:28,
                 from
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/wxprec.h:13:
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:
In member function 'virtual bool wxTreeCtrl::MSWOnNotify(int, WXLPARAM,
WXLPARAM*)':
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:3280:17:
error: 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' was not declared in this scope
                 TV_DISPINFO *info = (TV_DISPINFO *)lParam;
                 ^

It appears that TV_DISPINFO is getting defined as NMTVDISPINFOWW instead
of NMTVDISPINFOW.  I'm not sure where the problem is occurring.  I
grepped the wxWidgets source and I don't see TV_DISPINFO being
manipulated anywhere so I'm guessing it somewhere in the new win32api
headers.  This error first occurred when I updated my existing MinGW
installation last week and it also occurs on completely clean install as
of today.  I verified there a no other SDK header files in my $PATH that
could cause issues and I do not have mingw32-wsl_rc installed.  I want
to make sure I'm (or wxWidgets is) not doing anything wrong before I
file a bug report.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Wayne

Re: win32api version 4

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

> As of version 4 of win32api, wxWidgets 2.9.x fails to build with both
> gcc 4.7.2 and the latest 4.8.1 with the following error:
>
> In file included from
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/msw/gccpriv.h:22:0,
>                  from
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/platform.h:455,
>                  from
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/defs.h:28,
>                  from
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/wxprec.h:13:
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:
> In member function 'virtual bool wxTreeCtrl::MSWOnNotify(int, WXLPARAM,
> WXLPARAM*)':
> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:3280:17:
> error: 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' was not declared in this scope
>                  TV_DISPINFO *info = (TV_DISPINFO *)lParam;
>                  ^
>
> It appears that TV_DISPINFO is getting defined as NMTVDISPINFOWW instead
> of NMTVDISPINFOW.  I'm not sure where the problem is occurring.  I
> grepped the wxWidgets source and I don't see TV_DISPINFO being
> manipulated anywhere so I'm guessing it somewhere in the new win32api
> headers.  This error first occurred when I updated my existing MinGW
> installation last week and it also occurs on completely clean install as
> of today.  I verified there a no other SDK header files in my $PATH that
> could cause issues and I do not have mingw32-wsl_rc installed.  I want
> to make sure I'm (or wxWidgets is) not doing anything wrong before I
> file a bug report.  Thanks in advance for the help.

If you edit line 2217 of /mingw/include/commctrl.h to read

#define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO

instead of

#define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)

Does it help?

Re: win32api version 4

Wayne Stambaugh
On 9/3/2013 5:29 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> As of version 4 of win32api, wxWidgets 2.9.x fails to build with both
>> gcc 4.7.2 and the latest 4.8.1 with the following error:
>>
>> In file included from
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/msw/gccpriv.h:22:0,
>>                  from
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/platform.h:455,
>>                  from
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/defs.h:28,
>>                  from
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/wxprec.h:13:
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:
>> In member function 'virtual bool wxTreeCtrl::MSWOnNotify(int, WXLPARAM,
>> WXLPARAM*)':
>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:3280:17:
>> error: 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' was not declared in this scope
>>                  TV_DISPINFO *info = (TV_DISPINFO *)lParam;
>>                  ^
>>
>> It appears that TV_DISPINFO is getting defined as NMTVDISPINFOWW instead
>> of NMTVDISPINFOW.  I'm not sure where the problem is occurring.  I
>> grepped the wxWidgets source and I don't see TV_DISPINFO being
>> manipulated anywhere so I'm guessing it somewhere in the new win32api
>> headers.  This error first occurred when I updated my existing MinGW
>> installation last week and it also occurs on completely clean install as
>> of today.  I verified there a no other SDK header files in my $PATH that
>> could cause issues and I do not have mingw32-wsl_rc installed.  I want
>> to make sure I'm (or wxWidgets is) not doing anything wrong before I
>> file a bug report.  Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> If you edit line 2217 of /mingw/include/commctrl.h to read
>
> #define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO
>
> instead of
>
> #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
>
> Does it help?

That fixed it.  Thanks.  Do you want me to file a bug report against
this?  I wonder if there are any other definitions that use the __AW()
macro that also suffer from this problem.

Re: win32api version 4

Earnie Boyd
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

> On 9/3/2013 5:29 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>> As of version 4 of win32api, wxWidgets 2.9.x fails to build with both
>>> gcc 4.7.2 and the latest 4.8.1 with the following error:
>>>
>>> In file included from
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/msw/gccpriv.h:22:0,
>>>                  from
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/platform.h:455,
>>>                  from
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/defs.h:28,
>>>                  from
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/include/wx/wxprec.h:13:
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:
>>> In member function 'virtual bool wxTreeCtrl::MSWOnNotify(int, WXLPARAM,
>>> WXLPARAM*)':
>>> C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/Wayne/src/wxWidgets-2.9.5/src/msw/treectrl.cpp:3280:17:
>>> error: 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' was not declared in this scope
>>>                  TV_DISPINFO *info = (TV_DISPINFO *)lParam;
>>>                  ^
>>>
>>> It appears that TV_DISPINFO is getting defined as NMTVDISPINFOWW instead
>>> of NMTVDISPINFOW.  I'm not sure where the problem is occurring.  I
>>> grepped the wxWidgets source and I don't see TV_DISPINFO being
>>> manipulated anywhere so I'm guessing it somewhere in the new win32api
>>> headers.  This error first occurred when I updated my existing MinGW
>>> installation last week and it also occurs on completely clean install as
>>> of today.  I verified there a no other SDK header files in my $PATH that
>>> could cause issues and I do not have mingw32-wsl_rc installed.  I want
>>> to make sure I'm (or wxWidgets is) not doing anything wrong before I
>>> file a bug report.  Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
>> If you edit line 2217 of /mingw/include/commctrl.h to read
>>
>> #define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
>>
>> Does it help?
>>

> That fixed it.  Thanks.  Do you want me to file a bug report against
> this?  I wonder if there are any other definitions that use the __AW()
> macro that also suffer from this problem.

I'll open the report.  There maybe others, especially if they are
similar to this one.  I long for a good testing system for each
element.  Even an external build bot that runs a testing sequence and
creates an online report.  Dreaming ...

Re: win32api version 4

lollisoft
Hi,

I have the same issue because i have implemented a mingw installer for my source code.
This has worked for some time when I released my software.

As it gets the latest release of mingw now I am stuck and try to stick on an older mingw release.

I think one thing would be providing a patch file (replacing commctrl.h by a modified after mingw has been installed).

But what happens with future changes in mingw if I still get the latest version?

To overcome this I tried to use this batch file to stick on a version that I have tested:

@rem This batch will download and install MinGW by mingw-get

%1 is 4.6.* in my case

Develop\Tools\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install "mingw=%1"
Develop\Tools\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install "mingw32-make"
Develop\Tools\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install "g++=%1"

@rem Required to compile ACE
Develop\Tools\MinGW\bin\mingw-get install msys

But then I get other errors.

How could I stick on a release around the date 2013/7/20?

Thanks, Lothar

Beside the issue: I am trying to automate my deployment with these batch files that are called optionally
from my Innosetup installer. This may for me a starting point into Continuous Delivery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_delivery

Am 04.09.2013 um 22:35 schrieb Earnie Boyd:

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

>>> If you edit line 2217 of /mingw/include/commctrl.h to read
>>>
>>> #define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO
>>>
>>> instead of
>>>
>>> #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
>>>
>>> Does it help?
>>>

>> That fixed it.  Thanks.  Do you want me to file a bug report against
>> this?  I wonder if there are any other definitions that use the __AW()
>> macro that also suffer from this problem.
>
> I'll open the report.  There maybe others, especially if they are
> similar to this one.  I long for a good testing system for each
> element.  Even an external build bot that runs a testing sequence and
> creates an online report.  Dreaming ...
>
> --
> Earnie
> -- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de
Lothar Behrens
Ginsterweg 4
65760 Eschborn

Re: win32api version 4

Nathan Ridge
>>> If you edit line 2217 of /mingw/include/commctrl.h to read
>>>
>>> #define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO
>>>
>>> instead of
>>>
>>> #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
>>>
>>> Does it help?
>>>

>> That fixed it. Thanks. Do you want me to file a bug report against
>> this? I wonder if there are any other definitions that use the __AW()
>> macro that also suffer from this problem.
>
> I'll open the report. There maybe others, especially if they are
> similar to this one. I long for a good testing system for each
> element. Even an external build bot that runs a testing sequence and
> creates an online report. Dreaming ...

What is the status of this?

In w32api-4.0.3-1, TV_DISPINFO still seems to be defined as
__AW(NMTVDISPINFO), and as a result, wxWidgets still does not
compile. (And people are recommending using MinGW-w64 instead
as a solution [1].)

Thanks,
Nate

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19476533/error-while-compiling-wxwidgets-2-8-12-on-mingw-with-gcc-4-8-1

Re: win32api version 4

Manolo
El 31/05/14 08:02, Nathan Ridge escribió:

> In w32api-4.0.3-1, TV_DISPINFO still seems to be defined as
> __AW(NMTVDISPINFO), and as a result, wxWidgets still does not
> compile. (And people are recommending using MinGW-w64 instead
> as a solution [1].)

In the stackoverflow-link we can see 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' (notice the two 'W')
There's a problem (I don't know where) of a double use of __AW() macro.

Regards,
Manolo

Re: win32api version 4

Nathan Ridge
>> In w32api-4.0.3-1, TV_DISPINFO still seems to be defined as
>> __AW(NMTVDISPINFO), and as a result, wxWidgets still does not
>> compile. (And people are recommending using MinGW-w64 instead
>> as a solution [1].)
>
> In the stackoverflow-link we can see 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' (notice the two 'W')
> There's a problem (I don't know where) of a double use of __AW() macro.

The problem is on the line immediately below:

  #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
  #define NMTVDISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)

Perhaps the correct solution is to omit the second line.

Either way, the point is, this is a bug in the MinGW headers that's
preventing the compilation of a major open-source C++ project, and
it really should be fixed.

Regards,
Nate

Re: win32api version 4

Keith Marshall
On 31/05/14 20:37, Nathan Ridge wrote:

>>> In w32api-4.0.3-1, TV_DISPINFO still seems to be defined as
>>> __AW(NMTVDISPINFO), and as a result, wxWidgets still does not
>>> compile. (And people are recommending using MinGW-w64 instead
>>> as a solution [1].)
>>
>> In the stackoverflow-link we can see 'NMTVDISPINFOWW' (notice the two 'W')
>> There's a problem (I don't know where) of a double use of __AW() macro.
>
> The problem is on the line immediately below:
>
>   #define TV_DISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)
>   #define NMTVDISPINFO __AW(NMTVDISPINFO)

Right.  The intent of this is correct: MSDN tells us that TV_DISPINFO is
a deprecated name for the structure now known as NMTVDISPINFO, so it is
correct that TV_DISPINFO should map to one or other of NMTVDISPINFOA or
NMTVDISPINFOW, according to whether the context is ANSI or Unicode.

The problem lies in the definition of TV_DISPINFO, given that the __AW
macro expands its argument recursively: NMTVDISPINFO itself expands to
NMTVDISPINFOA or NMTVDISPINFOW, as appropriate, and the recursive round
trip to expand TV_DISPINFO then adds a second A or W suffix to the
already expanded result.

> Perhaps the correct solution is to omit the second line.

Nope.  If either is wrong, then it is the first; it could, perhaps,
simply delegate the expansion to NMTVDISPINFO:

  #define TV_DISPINFO NMTVDISPINFO

but perhaps the real problem is in the (overly complicated) definition
of __AW itself; does it really need to be expanded recursively?

> Either way, the point is, this is a bug in the MinGW headers that's
> preventing the compilation of a major open-source C++ project, and
> it really should be fixed.

So, fix it and submit a patch: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches
Better yet, join the project, and actively participate in maintaining
it.  Version 4.x of the MinGW runtime and W32API is TARFU; until the
original perpetrator of the shambles (Earnie) can find the time to fix
it, or someone else steps up to the plate with an offer of assistance,
it is likely to remain so.  Until such time, it may be better to stick
with version 3.20 of mingwrt, and 3.17 of w32api.

Re: win32api version 4

Nathan Ridge
> but perhaps the real problem is in the (overly complicated) definition
> of __AW itself; does it really need to be expanded recursively?

The comment before its definition says "This is accomplished by macro
expansion of the symbol passed and concatenating either A or W to the
symbol", suggesting that expanding the argument is done deliberately,
and thus, presumably, for good reason.

> So, fix it and submit a patch: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches

I filed https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2217/ and posted a patch
there.

> Version 4.x of the MinGW runtime and W32API is TARFU; until the
> original perpetrator of the shambles (Earnie) can find the time to fix
> it, or someone else steps up to the plate with an offer of assistance,
> it is likely to remain so. Until such time, it may be better to stick
> with version 3.20 of mingwrt, and 3.17 of w32api.

Perhaps it would be better if mingw-get installed these versions by
default, then?

Regards,
Nate

Re: win32api version 4

Keith Marshall
On 01/06/14 08:49, Nathan Ridge wrote:
>> Version 4.x of the MinGW runtime and W32API is TARFU; until the
>> original perpetrator of the shambles (Earnie) can find the time to fix
>> it, or someone else steps up to the plate with an offer of assistance,
>> it is likely to remain so. Until such time, it may be better to stick
>> with version 3.20 of mingwrt, and 3.17 of w32api.
>
> Perhaps it would be better if mingw-get installed these versions by
> default, then?

Of course it would.  The issue still remains, that _someone_ needs to
step up to the plate, and take responsibility for making that happen.

Re: win32api version 4

Nathan Ridge
> On 01/06/14 08:49, Nathan Ridge wrote:
>>> Version 4.x of the MinGW runtime and W32API is TARFU; until the
>>> original perpetrator of the shambles (Earnie) can find the time to fix
>>> it, or someone else steps up to the plate with an offer of assistance,
>>> it is likely to remain so. Until such time, it may be better to stick
>>> with version 3.20 of mingwrt, and 3.17 of w32api.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be better if mingw-get installed these versions by
>> default, then?
>
> Of course it would. The issue still remains, that _someone_ needs to
> step up to the plate, and take responsibility for making that happen.

I don't know much about how mingw-get works, but shouldn't it be
as simple as modifying an XML or manifest file that says what the
latest version of w32api is, to say 3.17 instead of 4.x?

Regards,
Nate

Re: win32api version 4

Keith Marshall
On 01/06/14 23:37, Nathan Ridge wrote:

>>> Perhaps it would be better if mingw-get installed these versions by
>>> default, then?
>>
>> Of course it would. The issue still remains, that _someone_ needs to
>> step up to the plate, and take responsibility for making that happen.
>
> I don't know much about how mingw-get works, but shouldn't it be
> as simple as modifying an XML or manifest file that says what the
> latest version of w32api is, to say 3.17 instead of 4.x?

Not quite that simple, I'm afraid.  Anyhow, since Earnie has not taken
any corrective action in positively ages, I've taken it upon myself to
revert mingw32-runtime.xml to its pre-4.x state, and to adjust all GCC
dependencies, to remove any "requires" references for 4.x.

For any users who are experiencing problems with mingwrt-4.x, or with
w32api-4.x, I strongly recommend that you:

  $ mingw-get update
  $ mingw-get remove mingwrt w32api
  $ mingw-get install mingwrt w32api

to revert your installation to 3.x