wiki/getting_started

Earnie Boyd
I have removed the direct download links of the files and replaced them
with links to the package in an effort to remove the need to remember
to update the data.

Issue: There are three packages in our FRS for GCC based on GCC major
version.  This prevents the idea of not needing to update the page when
GCC 4 has a Current package.

Resolution: Combine the packages "GCC Version 3" and "GCC Version 4"
into GNU GCC.

Discussion: This is the way the other packages are structured where
there are more than one version.  I think this is the way to go.
Others?

Re: wiki/getting_started

Stephen Lee-2
Earnie,

Since you are working on the web site, may I give some suggestion about
the top page?

Usually, when I hear about a new project and go look at its web site,
I'll look for these links first.

- Introduction / About
- Download
- Installation / Tutorial

Now, for MinGW the top page is a copy of the About page, and there's no
hint of further content under it.  If you do click on the "About" link
in the navigation bar you can see there are more contents in that
category: "Contact", "History", etc.  But it didn't occur to me to click
on "About", since I'm already looking at a page that says "About" on
top!

"Download" and "Tutorial" are nowhere to be seen on first sight.
"Getting Started" is hidden under the non-intuitive "MinGWiki"
category, and there is no "Download" link at all.

(Okay, if you scroll down far enough on the top page, "Getting Started"
can probably be found in the "Popular content" panel, but that is not
the most obvious place.  And it is not obvious at a glance the
difference between that and the "HOWTO Install..." page either)

I think promoting the "Getting Started" page so that it shows on
the Navigation panel by default, or making the "About" & "MinGWiki"
categories default to being uncollapsed (is that possible?) would make
the site quite a bit more friendly.

A direct link to the sourceforge download page would be nice too (if
you don't think it might be too confusing to new users because of the
large number of packages).

Stephen

--
Stephen Lee <[hidden email]>

Re: wiki/getting_started

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Stephen Lee <[hidden email]>:

> Earnie,
>
> Since you are working on the web site, may I give some suggestion about
> the top page?

Thanks for the feedback Stephen.  I will consider your suggestions.

> Usually, when I hear about a new project and go look at its web site,
> I'll look for these links first.
>
> - Introduction / About
> - Download
> - Installation / Tutorial
>
> Now, for MinGW the top page is a copy of the About page, and there's no
> hint of further content under it.  If you do click on the "About" link
> in the navigation bar you can see there are more contents in that
> category: "Contact", "History", etc.  But it didn't occur to me to click
> on "About", since I'm already looking at a page that says "About" on
> top!

I have set the About menu item to expanded so that there is no
confusion toward that end just because of your comment.

> "Download" and "Tutorial" are nowhere to be seen on first sight.
> "Getting Started" is hidden under the non-intuitive "MinGWiki"
> category, and there is no "Download" link at all.
>
> (Okay, if you scroll down far enough on the top page, "Getting Started"
> can probably be found in the "Popular content" panel, but that is not
> the most obvious place.  And it is not obvious at a glance the
> difference between that and the "HOWTO Install..." page either)
>
> I think promoting the "Getting Started" page so that it shows on
> the Navigation panel by default, or making the "About" & "MinGWiki"
> categories default to being uncollapsed (is that possible?) would make
> the site quite a bit more friendly.
>
> A direct link to the sourceforge download page would be nice too (if
> you don't think it might be too confusing to new users because of the
> large number of packages).

I will consider your other suggestions as I would through the pages.
The first goal is to ensure that all of the data in the old wiki is
transferred so that I can remove it.  The reformatting of the FAQ is
just natural now because I need to make sure the links have pages.

Re: wiki/getting_started

On Monday 20 October 2008 14:59:33 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Issue: There are three packages in our FRS for GCC based on GCC
> major version.  This prevents the idea of not needing to update the
> page when GCC 4 has a Current package.

You may recall that I segregated it that way, to avoid the
disappearance of the `Current' GCC-3.4.5 release behind the nasty
`View older releases...' link, when SF arbitrarily decided that only
the three most recent releases in any individual package, without the
slightest regard to production quality, when we had three GCC-4 `Tech
Preview' releases; (i.e. three alpha quality releases concealing the
stable, production quality release).

> Resolution: Combine the packages "GCC Version 3" and "GCC Version
> 4" into GNU GCC.

Now that SF have yet again redesigned the FRS view, to make it even
more difficult to find anything, the reason for the segregation has
gone; I now see no compelling reason why we shouldn't merge all three
separate GCC packages into one again.

Re: wiki/getting_started

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>:

> On Monday 20 October 2008 14:59:33 Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Issue: There are three packages in our FRS for GCC based on GCC
>> major version.  This prevents the idea of not needing to update the
>> page when GCC 4 has a Current package.
>
> You may recall that I segregated it that way, to avoid the

Don't really recall it but I knew there must have been a good reason.

> disappearance of the `Current' GCC-3.4.5 release behind the nasty
> `View older releases...' link, when SF arbitrarily decided that only
> the three most recent releases in any individual package, without the
> slightest regard to production quality, when we had three GCC-4 `Tech
> Preview' releases; (i.e. three alpha quality releases concealing the
> stable, production quality release).
>
>> Resolution: Combine the packages "GCC Version 3" and "GCC Version
>> 4" into GNU GCC.
>
> Now that SF have yet again redesigned the FRS view, to make it even
> more difficult to find anything, the reason for the segregation has
> gone; I now see no compelling reason why we shouldn't merge all three
> separate GCC packages into one again.

We'll put in on the round tuit list.

Re: wiki/getting_started

Quoting Stephen Lee <[hidden email]>:

> "Download" and "Tutorial" are nowhere to be seen on first sight.
> "Getting Started" is hidden under the non-intuitive "MinGWiki"
> category, and there is no "Download" link at all.

I changed MinGWiki text in the menu to Documentation.  As for a
Download link I don't think for our case any one download link works
well.  Therefore the "Getting Started" document should give options
that a user might want to install and give the dependencies for doing
that install.  At least until mingw-get becomes a viable application.