wget binary

Steve Chapel

I downloaded the wget utility from the MinGW download site and unzipped it into my MinGW folder. I expected a wget binary, but could not find one. Is the wget utility source only? If so, I would suggest one of the following courses of action:

1)      Provide a binary build of wget in addition to the source

2)      Label the filename with “src” to indicate it is source only

I would prefer the first option, but if no binaries are provided the file should at least be indicated as being source only. Also, if it is source only, instructions should be provided in an obvious location that explain where to unzip the files and how to build the binary.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: wget binary

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Steve Chapel <[hidden email]>:

> I downloaded the wget utility from the MinGW download site and unzipped it
> into my MinGW folder. I expected a wget binary, but could not find one. Is
> the wget utility source only? If so, I would suggest one of the following
> courses of action:
>
> 1)      Provide a binary build of wget in addition to the source
>
> 2)      Label the filename with "src" to indicate it is source only

Yes, this is an error.  The source packages we distribute should always
contain a -src string in the name.  The binary packages do not contain
an identifier.

Re: wget binary

Keith Marshall
On Monday 27 October 2008 15:09:26 Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Quoting Steve Chapel <[hidden email]>:
> > I downloaded the wget utility from the MinGW download site and
> > unzipped it into my MinGW folder. I expected a wget binary, but
> > could not find one. Is the wget utility source only? If so, I
> > would suggest one of the following courses of action:
> >
> > 1)      Provide a binary build of wget in addition to the source
> >
> > 2)      Label the filename with "src" to indicate it is source
> > only
>
> Yes, this is an error.  The source packages we distribute should
> always contain a -src string in the name.  The binary packages do
> not contain an identifier.

Existing packages without a qualifier should be binaries, but as
you've noted, this one is erroneously packaged as source; I guess it
is actually the source for the binary which can be found in the
mingwPORT package:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=233332
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.bz2

(we had to put the source somewhere, to meet our GPL obligations, but
the tarball seems to have been incorrectly named, and it would have
been a good idea to add a release note referring to the mingwPORT,
for the location of the binary).

Digressing from the particular topic of `wget', but following on the
theme of package naming conventions, new packages, appearing from now
on, should be named with a `-bin' qualifier, (as tentatively agreed
among the developers), e.g.:

  foo-1.2.3-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
  foo-1.2.3-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
  foo-1.2.3-mingw32-dll-0.tar.gz
  foo-1.2.3-mingw32-src.tar.gz

(or maybe, if the source is generic, just `foo-1.2.3-src.tar.gz', and
you may also see the likes of 'foo-1.2.3-mingw32-alpha-dev.tar.gz',
or `foo-1.2.3-mingw32-beta-dev.tar.gz' for interim releases we'd like
you to help us to test).