unix path conversion documentation

Noam Postavsky
Hi,

I'm trying to get the test suite for xmlstarlet to work under msys,
and since it deals with xpath expressions that can start with "/" I
need to defeat the path conversion that msys performs. The thing is,
this feature seems underdocumented: the README.rtf only says that a
doubled leading slash will protect the option from conversion, but it
looks like there is bit more to it:

$ cat args.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    int i;
    for (i = 1; i < argc; i++) {
        printf("arg%d: %s\n", i, argv[i]);
    }
    return 0;
}

$ make args CC=gcc CFLAGS='-Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic'
gcc -Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic    args.c   -o args
$ ./args /foobar
arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foobar
$ ./args //foobar # we can get /foobar
arg1: /foobar
$ ./args /foo/bar
arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foo/bar
$ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
arg1: //foo/bar
$ ./args '/foo;bar' # a semicolon also stops conversion!?
arg1: /foo;bar

Is there more detailed documentation on this feature anywhere?

thanks, Noam

Re: unix path conversion documentation

Keith Marshall-2
On 20/02/11 21:05, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> I need to defeat the path conversion that msys performs. The thing
> is, this feature seems underdocumented: the README.rtf only says
> that a doubled leading slash will protect the option from conversion,
> but it looks like there is bit more to it:
>
> ...snip...
>
> $ ./args /foobar
 > arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foobar

This is correct, as documented.

> $ ./args //foobar # we can get /foobar
 > arg1: /foobar

Also correct.

> $ ./args /foo/bar
 > arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foo/bar

Correct again.

> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
 > arg1: //foo/bar

This looks like a bug.  I've been aware of some deficiencies in the MSYS
path translation code for some time, but I can't recall having seen this
particular manifestation before.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows
box here, to investigate further.

> $ ./args '/foo;bar' # a semicolon also stops conversion!?
 > arg1: /foo;bar

Yes, because the semicolon is Windows native path list separator.  This
is interpreted as a path list argument, which is already in the native
Windows format, so no translation required.

> Is there more detailed documentation on this feature anywhere?

Short of studying the source code, none of which I am aware.

Re: unix path conversion documentation

Earnie Boyd
Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 20/02/11 21:05, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
>  > arg1: //foo/bar
>
> This looks like a bug.  I've been aware of some deficiencies in the MSYS
> path translation code for some time, but I can't recall having seen this
> particular manifestation before.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows
> box here, to investigate further.

This behaves properly as well as in //server/share.  I don't think you
can get the /foo/bar string in a native program as it is coded today.
At one time //server/share became /server/share but the users complained
so it was changed.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

On 22 February 2011 14:14, Earnie wrote:

> Keith Marshall wrote:
>> On 20/02/11 21:05, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>>> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
>>  > arg1: //foo/bar
>>
>> This looks like a bug.  I've been aware of some deficiencies in the MSYS
>> path translation code for some time, but I can't recall having seen this
>> particular manifestation before.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows
>> box here, to investigate further.
>
> This behaves properly as well as in //server/share.

Huh?  I've always understood that the correct way to specify a UNC style
path, such as //server/share, to be passed from MSYS shell to any native
application, is to add an extra slash, so it becomes ///server/share.
You even said as much yourself, in your response to this ticket:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3091216&group_id=2435&atid=102435

> I don't think you can get the /foo/bar string in a native program as
> it is coded today.

You can't.  As it is coded today, it is broken.  In fact, it has always
been broken (almost by definition), since it employs heuristic analysis;
any such analysis will always be broken in some circumstance.  We really
need a deterministic mechanism for exempting certain parameters from
path name translation.

> At one time //server/share became /server/share but the users
> complained so it was changed.

//server/share becoming /server/share is documented behaviour.  Users
complaining about that should have been directed to RTFM; changing it
for the benefit of such lusers has broken it, to the detriment of
everyone else.

Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Is there more detailed documentation on this feature anywhere?
>
> Short of studying the source code, none of which I am aware.

So now that mingw.org is back online, I would like to suggest a wiki
page documenting the current behaviour. I'm willing to write it up if
someone can point me to the source files and create / give me permission
to create the wiki page.

Noam Postavsky wrote:

> Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> Is there more detailed documentation on this feature anywhere?
>>
>> Short of studying the source code, none of which I am aware.
>
> So now that mingw.org is back online, I would like to suggest a wiki
> page documenting the current behaviour. I'm willing to write it up if
> someone can point me to the source files and create / give me permission
> to create the wiki page.

The source code can be find in CVS with instructions at the project page
on SF.  I can give you permissions for editing the wiki if you give me
your login name to mingw.org.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Earnie <[hidden email]> writes:

> The source code can be find in CVS with instructions at the project page
> on SF.

I looked at the repository through the web interface but I couldn't find
the code that implements the conversion. Also, the CVS instructions
mention modulename but don't say what the possible module names are.

> I can give you permissions for editing the wiki if you give me
> your login name to mingw.org.

It's npostavs.

On 11/03/11 17:19, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>> The source code can be find in CVS with instructions at the
>> project page on SF.
>
> I looked at the repository through the web interface but I couldn't
> find the code that implements the conversion.

It isn't easy to find, (because its location isn't exactly obvious):
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/msys/rt/src/winsup/cygwin/path.cc?view=log

> Also, the CVS  instructions mention modulename but don't say what
> the possible module names are.

If you mean the instructions here:
http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=cvs&group_id=2435

(which you reach by following the Develop->Code->CVS links from the
menu bar on the Project pages), they tell you that you may deduce the
module names by looking here:
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/

Each directory you see there represents a module; the module name is the
same as the directory name.

Noam Postavsky wrote:
> Earnie <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I can give you permissions for editing the wiki if you give me
>> your login name to mingw.org.
>
> It's npostavs.

You can now edit the wiki.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Earnie <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On 20/02/11 21:05, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>>> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
>>> arg1: //foo/bar
> This behaves properly as well as in //server/share.  I don't think you
> can get the /foo/bar string in a native program as it is coded today.

It turns out you can get /foo/bar with '//foo\bar'. This and other
interesting examples are now up on the wiki:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Posix_path_conversion

Noam Postavsky wrote:

> Earnie <[hidden email]> writes:
>> This behaves properly as well as in //server/share.  I don't think you
>> can get the /foo/bar string in a native program as it is coded today.
>
> It turns out you can get /foo/bar with '//foo\bar'. This and other
> interesting examples are now up on the wiki:
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Posix_path_conversion

Can you please put a link to the page in the FAQ?  Otherwise people
might not be able to find it.  I found some of the wording a bit
confusing requiring me to read it more than once to understand it but I
don't have time to spend to make it better.  One thing I might consider
would be removing the s following \ and / where you're trying to
indicate plurality.  That s definitely got in the way of what you were
trying to convey.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: unix path conversion documentation

d3x0r
//./ is 'this computer'
did you try with a drive letter?

./args c:/foo/bar

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM, J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> //./ is 'this computer'
Okay?

> did you try with a drive letter?
>
> ./args c:/foo/bar

I'm working with xpath expressions (http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/),
so adding a drive letter isn't really an option...

Re: unix path conversion documentation

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get the test suite for xmlstarlet to work under msys,
>> and since it deals with xpath expressions that can start with "/" I
>> need to defeat the path conversion that msys performs. The thing is,
>> this feature seems underdocumented: the README.rtf only says that a
>> doubled leading slash will protect the option from conversion, but it
>> looks like there is bit more to it:

Some of the "bit more to it" may have come after the README.rtf was
written and the README.rtf not updated with feature changes.

>> $ cat args.c
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> int main(int argc, char **argv)
>> {
>>    int i;
>>    for (i = 1; i < argc; i++) {
>>        printf("arg%d: %s\n", i, argv[i]);
>>    }
>>    return 0;
>> }
>>
>> $ make args CC=gcc CFLAGS='-Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic'
>> gcc -Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic    args.c   -o args
>> $ ./args /foobar
>> arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foobar

Which is correct.

>> $ ./args //foobar # we can get /foobar
>> arg1: /foobar

Which is correct.

>> $ ./args /foo/bar
>> arg1: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/foo/bar

This is also correct.

>> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
>> arg1: //foo/bar

This was a change to the original use of // to allow the representation
of //server/share but I think we should use ///server/share instead so
that //foo/bar can give /foo/bar.  Cesar will have to make the final
call since he is the current maintainer.  I don't know of a workaround
other than perhaps maybe string concatenation.

>> $ ./args '/foo;bar' # a semicolon also stops conversion!?
>> arg1: /foo;bar

Since ; is a Windows path list delimiter a ; in the string will cause
MSYS to think the string is already a windows path and therefore not do
the conversion so this is correct as well.

>> Is there more detailed documentation on this feature anywhere?

Other than the source and your experimentation, no.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: unix path conversion documentation

Cesar Strauss
On 03/15/2011 09:49 AM, Earnie wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>>> $ ./args //foo/bar # how can we get /foo/bar?
>>> arg1: //foo/bar
>
> This was a change to the original use of // to allow the representation
> of //server/share but I think we should use ///server/share instead so
> that //foo/bar can give /foo/bar.  Cesar will have to make the final
> call since he is the current maintainer.

Looks reasonable.

Cesar