sys/socket.h?

Stephen Leake
I'm installing MinGW on a new computer, so I can compile monotone.

However, I'm stuck on some include files (and probably their
associated libraries).

wget (used by mingwPORT packages) requires sys/socket.h, netdb.h,
netinet/in.h, arpa/inet.h

I don't see what packages they are in.

I have installed so far:

MinGW-5.1.4.exe
MSYS-1.0.10.exe
msysDTK-1.0.1.exe
libiconv-1.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz

Where can I find the missing headers/libraries?

--
-- Stephe

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Greg Chicares
On 2009-07-13 23:30Z, Stephen Leake wrote:
> wget (used by mingwPORT packages) requires sys/socket.h, netdb.h,
> netinet/in.h, arpa/inet.h

You can download a 'wget' binary from mingw.org .

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Stephen Leake
Greg Chicares <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2009-07-13 23:30Z, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> wget (used by mingwPORT packages) requires sys/socket.h, netdb.h,
>> netinet/in.h, arpa/inet.h
>
> You can download a 'wget' binary from mingw.org .

where, exactly?

On the download page

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

in MinGW Utilities: wget | wget-1.9.1.tar.gz, I see wget-1.9.1.tar.gz,
but no binary package.

Other packages I'll be compiling need sys/socket.h, so a binary of
wget doesn't really solve my problem.

--
-- Stephe

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Matthew Talbert
> Other packages I'll be compiling need sys/socket.h, so a binary of
> wget doesn't really solve my problem.

This might help you out. There is quit a bit of other information out
there as well. Essentially, anything that depends on sys/socket.h
needs to be ported to use Winsock2.

http://lists-archives.org/mingw-users/01528-problem-with-sys-socket-h-and-netinet-in-h.html

Matthew

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Stephen Leake
Matthew Talbert <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Other packages I'll be compiling need sys/socket.h, so a binary of
>> wget doesn't really solve my problem.
>
> This might help you out. There is quit a bit of other information out
> there as well. Essentially, anything that depends on sys/socket.h
> needs to be ported to use Winsock2.
>
> http://lists-archives.org/mingw-users/01528-problem-with-sys-socket-h-and-netinet-in-h.html

This implies that the wget configure got things wrong, or something.

Hmm, the failing file is wget/src/connect.c. It has:

#ifndef WINDOWS
# include <sys/socket.h>
# include <netdb.h>
# include <netinet/in.h>
# ifndef __BEOS__
#  include <arpa/inet.h>
# endif
#endif /* not WINDOWS */

So the problem appears to be that WINDOWS is not defined! I'm not
clear where it should be defined; I've added it in config.h as a
workaround for now.

Then I had to comment out #define HAVE_SIGNAL.

That lets everything compile, but it doesn't link.

I guess I should send a bug report to the wget project.

I found a wget binary at
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm ; I'll use that.

--
-- Stephe

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Keith Marshall
On Tuesday 14 July 2009 07:00:06 Stephen Leake wrote:
> This implies that the wget configure got things wrong, or
> something.
>
> Hmm, the failing file is wget/src/connect.c. It has:
>
> #ifndef WINDOWS

WINDOWS is *not* one of the standard defines, used to identify any
w32 compiler, AFAIK.  For MinGW, the preferred define, also defined
by Microsoft's compilers, I believe, is _WIN32.  (For a define which
is unique to 32-bit MinGW, it is __MINGW32__).

This looks to me like a bug in wget's source.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 05:29:21 Stephen Leake wrote:
> > You can download a 'wget' binary from mingw.org .
>
> where, exactly?
>
> On the download page
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

It is there, but it takes a bit of lateral thinking to find it.  How
do you think we bootstrap the mingwPORT for wget itself?  Yep, we
have to include wget.exe, pre-built within that.

Okay, that's not exactly ideal...

> in MinGW Utilities: wget | wget-1.9.1.tar.gz,

I take it you mean MinGW Utilities: wget / Release: wget-1.9.1

> I see wget-1.9.1.tar.gz, but no binary package.

Yep.  That's a source package.  The binary *should* be there too, but
it is missing.  Somebody, (probably Muggins), should address that,
sooner rather than later.

> Other packages I'll be compiling need sys/socket.h, ...

Then you will not be compiling them with MinGW, unless you put in the
effort, and *port* them to use the WinSock API instead.  There is no
sys/socket.h among MinGW deliverables, nor will there be.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Greg Chicares
On 2009-07-14 15:05Z, Keith Marshall wrote:

>> I see wget-1.9.1.tar.gz, but no binary package.
>
> Yep.  That's a source package.  The binary *should* be there too, but
> it is missing.  Somebody, (probably Muggins), should address that,
> sooner rather than later.

There's a 'wget.exe' in this archive:
  ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/mingw/wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.bz2
which is easy to find *if* you know that some mirrors display a
flat list of all files.

Using the fine sf.net system, it appears to be available here:
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
under:
  User Contributed: mingwPORT
    Current Releases
though that's not the first place most would look.

Alternatively, in this search:
  http://www.google.com/#q=mingw+wget
pick this result (today it's the fifth):
  http://www.nabble.com/FRS---mingwPORT-td20189675.html
and follow the link therein.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: sys/socket.h?

Keith Marshall
On Tuesday 14 July 2009 18:39:34 Greg Chicares wrote:
> >> I see wget-1.9.1.tar.gz, but no binary package.
> >
> > Yep.  That's a source package.  The binary *should* be there
> > too, but it is missing.  Somebody, (probably Muggins), should
> > address that, sooner rather than later.
>
> There's a 'wget.exe' in this archive:
>   ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/mingw/wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.bz2

Yep.  That's what I implied, in the elided portion of the post you
quoted.

> which is easy to find *if* you know that some mirrors display a
> flat list of all files.
>
> Using the fine sf.net system, it appears to be available here:
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
> under:
>   User Contributed: mingwPORT
>     Current Releases
> though that's not the first place most would look.

No, it isn't.  The obvious place would be alongside the source, in
the "MinGW Utilities: wget" package set, which is where I plan to
put it.

> Alternatively, in this search:
>   http://www.google.com/#q=mingw+wget
> pick this result (today it's the fifth):
>   http://www.nabble.com/FRS---mingwPORT-td20189675.html
> and follow the link therein.

Again, users shouldn't need to jump through such hoops, to find
packages which are not in the obvious place.

2) Thread hijacking