Quantcast

strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Hello, all

I  am  trying  to  compile babl, which relies on the
strtok_r function:

  https://manned.org/strtok.3

but it seems absent in MinGW.  Will it be correct to
add it?

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
I wrote:

> I  am  trying to compile babl, which relies on the
> strtok_r function:
>
>   https://manned.org/strtok.3
>
> but it seems absent in MinGW.  Will it be  correct
> to add it?

Several implementations of strtok_r() are given here:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12975022/strtok-r-for-mingw

I wrote:

> I  am  trying to compile babl, which relies on the
> strtok_r function:
>
>   https://manned.org/strtok.3
>
> but it seems absent in MinGW.

The interface of strtok_r()  is  rather  ugly.   Its
first  invocation shall differ from subsequent ones,
whereas the task performed is the same.

I have come up with a more consistent version:

/* returns the index of c in s, or -1 if not found */
/* s shall be a NULL-terminated string */
int chrind( const char * s, const char c )
{  int res = -1;
   int ind =  0;
   while( s[ind] != ' ' )
   {  if( s[ind] == c )
      {  res = ind; break;  }
      ind++;
   }
   return res;
}

/* Re-entrant version with consistent invocation */
/* str and delim shall be NULL-terminated string */
char* strtok_r2( char** str, const char *delim )
{  char  tok_found = 0;
   char  is_del    = 0;
   char* res       = NULL;

   while( **str != ' ' )
   {  is_del = chrind( delim, **str ) >= 0;
      if( tok_found && is_del )
      {  **str = ' '; /* NULL-terminate in place */
         ( *str )++;   /* and wind on to the next symbol */
         break;
      }
      if( !tok_found && !is_del )
      {  tok_found = 1;
         res       = *str; /* save start of token */
      }
      ( *str )++;
   }

   return res;

I wrote:

> The  interface  of strtok_r() is rather ugly.  Its
> first  invocation  shall  differ  from  subsequent
> ones, whereas the task performed is the same.
>
> I have come up with more consistent version:
> [...]

The code fragment is broken because grofg interpret-
ed '\' as an escape character.  Here is the  correct
code:

/* returns the index of c in s, or -1 if not found */
/* s shall be a NULL-terminated string */
static int chrind( const char * s, const char c )
{  int res = -1;
   int ind =  0;
   while( s[ind] != '\0' )
   {  if( s[ind] == c )
      {  res = ind; break;  }
      ind++;
   }
   return res;
}

/* Re-entrant version with consistent invocation */
/* str and delim shall be NULL-terminated string */
static char * strtok_r2( char** str, const char *delim )
{  char  tok_found = 0;
   char  is_del    = 0;
   char* res       = NULL;

   while( **str != '\0' )
   {  is_del = chrind( delim, **str ) >= 0;
      if( tok_found && is_del )
      {  **str = '\0'; /* NULL-terminate in place */

On 09/04/17 14:57, Anton Shepelev wrote:
>> The interface of strtok_r() is rather ugly.  Its first invocation
>> shall differ from subsequent ones, whereas the task performed is
>> the same.

I agree that the APIs of both strtok() and strtok_r() are utterly
disgusting, but nevertheless they are what they are, and as POSIX.1
prescribes, (and as ISO-C prescribes, in the case of strtok()); the
same is true of Microsoft's strtok_s().

>> I have come up with more consistent version:
>> [...]

You are, of course, free to adopt this in your own applications,
but, since it complies with no recognized standard, it will not be
considered for inclusion in MinGW.

> The code fragment is broken because grofg ...

What is grofg?  Do you, perhaps, mean groff?  If so, then...

> interpreted '\' as an escape character.

strictly, as \0 appears in your code, it will be interpreted as an
_escape sequence_, representing a non-paddable digit-width space;
(typographically correct digits are all required to occupy uniform
space, even in proportionally spaced fonts).  Thus...

> Here is the correct code:
>
>   [...]
>     while( s[ind] != '\0' )

the '\0' in this code results in:

   while( s[ind] != ' ' )

(as it was shown, in your earlier post).

- --

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Keith Marshall:

>strtok_r()  is  a POSIX.1 function, not ISO-C; thus
>providing it goes beyond the MinGW remit of provid-
>ing "extensions to support ISO-C99".

Understood.

>>I have come up with more consistent version:
>>[...]
>
>You  are, of course, free to adopt this in your own
>applications, but, since it complies with no recog-
>nized standard

That is what have done.

>>The code fragment is broken because grofg ...
>
>What is grofg?  Do you, perhaps, mean groff?

groff, yes.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Keith Marshall:

>Of course, if you adopt this approach while linking
>with MSVCRT.DLL, then your application will not run
>on any WinXP or earlier host; (it will abort with a
>"DLL entry point not found" exception.  It would be
>possible  to  mitigate this, if there is sufficient
>user demand, by providing a (likely  simple)  MinGW
>implementation  of  strtok_r(); this would necessi-
>tate a formal feature request ticket[2].

I am on Windows XP,  so  I  will  create  a  ticket.
Shall  you  need an implementation, or can you reuse
an existing one, or write your own?

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Keith Marshall

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Keith Marshall to Anton Shepelev:

>>>Of course, if you adopt this approach while link-
>>>ing with MSVCRT.DLL, then your  application  will
>>>not  run  on  any WinXP or earlier host; (it will
>>>abort with a "DLL entry point not  found"  excep-
>>>tion.   It would be possible to mitigate this, if
>>>there is sufficient user demand, by  providing  a
>>>(likely  simple)  MinGW  implementation  of  str-
>>>tok_r(); this would necessitate a formal  feature
>>>request ticket[2].
>>
>>I  am  on  Windows  XP, so I will create a ticket.
>>Shall you need an implementation, or can you reuse
>>an existing one, or write your own?
>
>Thanks.

Pray take no umbrage if I do it belatedly.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Keith Marshall to Anton Shepelev:

> > I am trying to compile babl, which relies on the
> > strtok_r function:
> >
> >   https://manned.org/strtok.3
> >
> > but it seems absent in MinGW. Will it be correct
> > to add it?
>
> It would be possible to mitigate this, if there is
> sufficient user demand,  by  providing  a  (likely
> simple)  MinGW  implementation of strtok_r(); this
> would necessitate a formal feature request ticket

Ticked created:

  https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2342

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Keith Marshall

Re: strtok_r() not implemented

Anton Shepelev
Keith Marshall:

> Anton Shepelev:
> > Keith Marshall:
> > > Anton Shepelev:

> > > It  would  be  possible  to  mitigate this, if
> > > there is sufficient user demand, by  providing
> > > a (likely simple) MinGW implementation of str-
> > > tok_r(); this would necessitate a formal  fea-
> > > ture request ticket
> >
> > Ticked created:
> >
> >   https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2342
>
> Thanks.  I've added a proposed implementation.
>
> I've enabled voting on the ticket.  I am in favour
> of incorporating this into libmingwex.a, and  have
> voted  accordingly.  If any other users would care
> to do likewise, please do so;  if  you  choose  to
> vote against, please add a comment to explain why.

Thank you very much.

So  is  it  the static library for extra (supplemen-
tary) functions?

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.