simple graphics question

forrest curo
For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.

The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.

What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be avoided?

Forrest Curo
San Diego

Re: simple graphics question

d3x0r
(although this isn't a mingw sort of question...)

Most would probably suggest SDL.
Allegro is another good library.

with cmake and mingw, can use SACK (
http://code.google.com/p/c-system-abstraction-component-gui/ )
(previously sack.sf.net)  there are some older versions packaged for
download.  (and mercurial [tortoisehg for windows] to get latest and
greatest)

http://sack.sourceforge.net/sack__image.html some documentation :)
boils down to just a few functions in reality.

In the case of SACK it only does 32 bit color, which simplifies a lot
of work, and squeezes out just a tweak more performance than either of
the above.

Some others might suggest something like wxWidgets, which you would
make things more object oriented (there is a control library in SACK
also) so like the peices, and squares on the board might be objects
which would each get mouse events (probably add and remove peice
controls from the square to move them).

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM, forrest curo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough
> to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.
>
> The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful
> new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running
> Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.
>
> What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display
> routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be
> avoided?
>
> Forrest Curo
> San Diego

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: simple graphics question

revelator
Re: [Mingw-users] simple graphics question Hello forrest,

Monday, August 15, 2011, 5:21:39 AM, you wrote:

For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.

The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.

What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be avoided?

Forrest Curo
San Diego

? not sure if related me where you replying to someone on the mingw boards.

as for display routines someone on inside3d might have a better answer than what i can give, sites mostly related to quake but there a nice bunch so if you ask kindly im sure they will gladly help.

best wishes Ralph Engels

--
Best regards,
 ralph                            [hidden email]

Re: simple graphics question

revelator
Hello J,

Monday, August 15, 2011, 5:34:13 AM, you wrote:

> (although this isn't a mingw sort of question...)

> Most would probably suggest SDL.
> Allegro is another good library.

> with cmake and mingw, can use SACK (
> http://code.google.com/p/c-system-abstraction-component-gui/ )
> (previously sack.sf.net)  there are some older versions packaged for
> download.  (and mercurial [tortoisehg for windows] to get latest and
> greatest)

> http://sack.sourceforge.net/sack__image.html some documentation :)
> boils down to just a few functions in reality.

> In the case of SACK it only does 32 bit color, which simplifies a lot
> of work, and squeezes out just a tweak more performance than either of
> the above.

> Some others might suggest something like wxWidgets, which you would
> make things more object oriented (there is a control library in SACK
> also) so like the peices, and squares on the board might be objects
> which would each get mouse events (probably add and remove peice
> controls from the square to move them).

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM, forrest curo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough
>> to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.
>>
>> The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful
>> new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running
>> Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.
>>
>> What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display
>> routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be
>> avoided?
>>
>> Forrest Curo
>> San Diego

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
>> may cause your account to be moderated.

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

hmm theres also ogre         http://www.ogre3d.org/
or irrlicht           http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

ogre look rather good from the examples in the sdk.
irrlicht is also ok and contains a rather neat software 3d engine (for
those nostalgic to dos gfx. its a lot more detailed though).

several others i cant remember from the tip of my head :)

--
Best regards,
 ralph                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: simple graphics question

Jan Krieger
Hi!

have a look at http://cimg.sourceforge.net/ ... it's more like an image
processing library, but also contains a simple GUI (ans dome nice
examples). ... and it consists of ONE header file only and is
platform-independent!

Best,
JAN

Frank Hrebabetzky-2
curses?

--
Frank Hrebabetzky Tel. (48) 3239 2258
Photonita Ltda. http://www.photonita.com.br

On 8/15/2011 12:21 AM, forrest curo wrote:

> For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough
> to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.
>
> The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful
> new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running
> Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.
>
> What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display
> routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be
> avoided?
>
> Forrest Curo
> San Diego

> uberSVN's rich system and user administration capabilities and model
> configuration take the hassle out of deploying and managing Subversion and
> the tools developers use with it. Learn more about uberSVN and get a free
> download at:  http://p.sf.net/sfu/wandisco-dev2dev

Re: simple graphics question

dashesy
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM, forrest curo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a board game program, I will need a minimal amount of graphics, enough
> to display a grid of | _ lines with small circles.
>
> The game needs a great deal of fast strategic processing, hence a powerful
> new machine-- and the best machine I can access is unfortunately running
> Windows, a condition I'm not allowed to rectify.
>
> What's the easiest way to deal with this, to get some easy-to-use display
> routines that won't waste the machine's time (or mine!) any more than can be
> avoided?

I have used OpenSceneGraph (for graphics front end) together with QT
(for GUI) with nice results. Using both VS and MingW
OSG makes graphics easier and the performance is great.
It might need some time to get used to the model, but overall it is great.

dashesy

> Forrest Curo
> San Diego

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: simple graphics question

Bostjan Mihoric

you are getting a lot of suggestions of different libraries. You
mention a simple grid with circles. I really don't see the need for
special libraries in such a case.

I'd just use Win32 API. See this site for examples:
http://www.functionx.com/win32/

Considering this is a board game, you would only waste CPU by updating
the screen aggressively. Win32 API might not be the fastest, but your
drawing routines will only be called when some part of the window
actually needs to be redrawn, or when you manually invalidate it (you
do that when a move is made in the game). Between moves, no CPU should
be needed for drawing.

Regards,
Bostjan