remotely debugging elf-executable

Georg Kapeller
hi,

i'm a real beginner so sorry for the question...

my host is windows but i am also running ubuntu in a virtual box which
is listening on some port to gdb to connect to it.
i want to be able to debug my ubuntu-application in my windows-ide which
uses mingw-gdb but the problem is that mingw-gdb supposes the executable
to be an exe, and not in elf-format.
is there a way to let gdb read the symboltable of my elf file

best regards,
georg

--
Georg Kapeller

Re: remotely debugging elf-executable

Brian Dessent
Georg Kapeller wrote:

> my host is windows but i am also running ubuntu in a virtual box which
> is listening on some port to gdb to connect to it.
> i want to be able to debug my ubuntu-application in my windows-ide which
> uses mingw-gdb but the problem is that mingw-gdb supposes the executable
> to be an exe, and not in elf-format.
> is there a way to let gdb read the symboltable of my elf file

That is cross-debugging, which means you need to build a cross-gdb, i.e.
host is mingw, target is linux.

Brian