"internal compiler error" making libpthread-stubs

"internal compiler error" making libpthread-stubs

David Gerard
Per http://www.mingw.org/wiki/The_compiler_giving_internal_compiler_errors
, this is consistent, so I thought I'd ask the list.

I'm on a quixotic quest to compile libX11 in MinGW on Windows XP sp3.
This involves compiling libxcb. This involves compiling
libpthread-stubs.

./configure goes okay. make bombs out with:

make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fun/libpthread-stubs-0.1'
if /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I. -I.     -g -O2 -MT stubs.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/stubs.Tpo" -c -o
stubs.lo stubs.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/stubs.Tpo" ".deps/stubs.Plo"; else rm -f
".deps/stubs.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
mkdir .libs
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -MT stubs.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/stubs.Tpo -c stubs.c  -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o .libs/stubs.o
./pthread.h:935: warning: weak declaration of 'pthread_self' not supported
stubs.c:35: internal compiler error: in assemble_output_def, at varasm.c:4410
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.mingw.org/bugs.shtml> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [stubs.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fun/libpthread-stubs-0.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is consistent every time.

Any ideas?

(My quixotic quest is detailed at http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows
, for the interested.)

- d.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: "internal compiler error" making libpthread-stubs

John E. / TDM
David Gerard wrote:
> Per http://www.mingw.org/wiki/The_compiler_giving_internal_compiler_errors
> , this is consistent, so I thought I'd ask the list.
>
> I'm on a quixotic quest to compile libX11 in MinGW on Windows XP sp3.
> This involves compiling libxcb. This involves compiling
> libpthread-stubs.
>
> ./configure goes okay. make bombs out with:

**snip**
> Any ideas?

Per <http://www.mingw.org/Reporting_Bugs>:
* What version of GCC are you using? (1st Corollary: Have you tried a
more recent version?)
* Is there a minimal self-contained test case that produces the ICE?

(Note to someone who knows what to do about it: the page
<http://www.mingw.org/bugs.shtml> needs to be reinstated or redirected,
since it appears in every MinGW GCC release made so far.)

-John E.

2009/1/2 John E. / TDM <[hidden email]>:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> Per http://www.mingw.org/wiki/The_compiler_giving_internal_compiler_errors
>> , this is consistent, so I thought I'd ask the list.
>> I'm on a quixotic quest to compile libX11 in MinGW on Windows XP sp3.
>> This involves compiling libxcb. This involves compiling
>> libpthread-stubs.
>> ./configure goes okay. make bombs out with:

> Per <http://www.mingw.org/Reporting_Bugs>:
> * What version of GCC are you using? (1st Corollary: Have you tried a
> more recent version?)

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from c:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3/configure --with-gcc
--with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32
--prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --disable-nls
--enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32-registry
--disable-shared --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj
--disable-java-awt --without-x --enable-java-gc=boehm
--disable-libgcj-debug --enable-interpreter
--enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)

This is the latest version of gcc 3 that appears available.

I could take out gcc 3 and start all over with gcc 4, if you think
that'd actually help ... though I'd rather not, fairly obviously.

> * Is there a minimal self-contained test case that produces the ICE?

No idea. Is one required before anyone will take a report seriously?

> (Note to someone who knows what to do about it: the page
> <http://www.mingw.org/bugs.shtml> needs to be reinstated or redirected,
> since it appears in every MinGW GCC release made so far.)

Yes indeed. I first assumed this was due to compiling heavily
ELF-centric code on a PE-COFF platform, and while there's a bit of
that (the weak symbol stuff) this is a reproducible compiler failure.

Other possibly important information: this XP sp3 is in VirtualBox
2.0.4 OSE on Linux.

David Gerard wrote:
> gcc version 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)
>
> This is the latest version of gcc 3 that appears available.
>
> I could take out gcc 3 and start all over with gcc 4, if you think
> that'd actually help ... though I'd rather not, fairly obviously.

Yes, I imagine this particular bug isn't present in later versions of GCC.

>> * Is there a minimal self-contained test case that produces the ICE?
>>

> No idea. Is one required before anyone will take a report seriously?

Well, you haven't even shown the pertinent line of code yet. Without a
good understanding of the conditions that cause the error, there is no
possibility of fixing it. Speaking personally, if I can't tell at first
glance what the problem is, I *won't* work on it unless the submitter
provides a minimal test case.

> Other possibly important information: this XP sp3 is in VirtualBox
> 2.0.4 OSE on Linux.

Only important if it's required in order to reproduce the bug.

-John E.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.