"No regcomp library function" error during configure

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"No regcomp library function" error during configure

Guillaume BRAUX
Hello,

I am trying to build SquidGuard on windows with MinGW/MSYS but I am getting
this error when trying to configure :

$ ./configure --prefix=/mingw
.
.
checking regex.h usability... yes
checking regex.h presence... yes
checking for regcomp... no
configure: error: No regcomp library function.

(somebody in the mailing list sent a message with the same problem last
year, but nobody was able to find a simple solution
--> 2007-11-30 [1] [Mingw-users] Compiling SquidGuard - missing regcomp)

Please also note that I can read in the SquidGuard website : "native Windows
support using the MSYS+MinGW build environment".
So it means that somebody have already be able to have it compiling !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
The config.log error  - More infos after the log
----------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
configure:5765: checking for regcomp
configure:5821: gcc -o conftest.exe -pipe -O2 -mms-bitfields -march=i686
-std=c99 -I/usr/include -I/usr/include  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto -lbz2
 -lpthread -lm  >&5
C:/Users/GUILLA~1/AppData/Local/Temp/ccI08ZoA.o:conftest.c:(.text+0x19):
undefined reference to `regcomp'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5828: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define CONFIG_HOST_TYPE "i686-pc-mingw32"
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_LIBBZ2 1
| #define HAVE_LIBCRYPTO 1
| #define HAVE_LIBSSL 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_REGEX_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* Define regcomp to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h> declares
regcomp.
|    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
| #define regcomp innocuous_regcomp
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char regcomp (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef regcomp
|
| /* Override any GCC internal prototype to avoid an error.
|    Use char because int might match the return type of a GCC
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| char regcomp ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined __stub_regcomp || defined __stub___regcomp
| choke me
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return regcomp ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:5850: result: no
configure:5860: error: No regcomp library function.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------


My build environnement is up and working (I made several builds of other
programs before without any problems).

As the problem seems to come from regex libraries missing , I downloaded
mingw-libgnurx-2.5.1 (dev and bin) from mingw sourceforge repository
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=73286&
release_id=140957.

I copied the files :
libgnurx-0.dll in c:/MinGW/bin
libgnurx.dll.a and libregex.a in c:/MinGW/lib
regex.h in c:/MinGW/include

But it is still not working (regex.h check goes to "yes" in the configure
process, but still the regcomp error)...

I also notice the same error in another program I tried to
configure/compile, also dealing with regex ...
In conclusion, I cannot compile any program which got a regcomp check in
configure !

Maybe I have not installed/copied the regex library well, as it seems to be
a shared lib ...

Please help !
Thanks,

--
Guillaume BRAUX


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

_______________________________________________
This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
4) Improper trimming
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "No regcomp library function" error during configure

Michel Boaventura
Hello,

Regcomp cames on gnulib. Maybe you should download the last version
and include it using LIBFLAGS and LDFLAGS.


2009/2/4 Guillaume BRAUX <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build SquidGuard on windows with MinGW/MSYS but I am getting
> this error when trying to configure :
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw
> .
> .
> checking regex.h usability... yes
> checking regex.h presence... yes
> checking for regcomp... no
> configure: error: No regcomp library function.
>
> (somebody in the mailing list sent a message with the same problem last
> year, but nobody was able to find a simple solution
> --> 2007-11-30 [1] [Mingw-users] Compiling SquidGuard - missing regcomp)
>
> Please also note that I can read in the SquidGuard website : "native Windows
> support using the MSYS+MinGW build environment".
> So it means that somebody have already be able to have it compiling !
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
> The config.log error  - More infos after the log
> ----------------------------------
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
> configure:5765: checking for regcomp
> configure:5821: gcc -o conftest.exe -pipe -O2 -mms-bitfields -march=i686
> -std=c99 -I/usr/include -I/usr/include  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
> -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto -lbz2
>  -lpthread -lm  >&5
> C:/Users/GUILLA~1/AppData/Local/Temp/ccI08ZoA.o:conftest.c:(.text+0x19):
> undefined reference to `regcomp'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:5828: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define CONFIG_HOST_TYPE "i686-pc-mingw32"
> | #define HAVE_LIBM 1
> | #define HAVE_LIBBZ2 1
> | #define HAVE_LIBCRYPTO 1
> | #define HAVE_LIBSSL 1
> | #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> | #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
> | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> | #define HAVE_REGEX_H 1
> | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> | /* Define regcomp to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h> declares
> regcomp.
> |    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
> | #define regcomp innocuous_regcomp
> |
> | /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
> |     which can conflict with char regcomp (); below.
> |     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
> |     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
> |
> | #ifdef __STDC__
> | # include <limits.h>
> | #else
> | # include <assert.h>
> | #endif
> |
> | #undef regcomp
> |
> | /* Override any GCC internal prototype to avoid an error.
> |    Use char because int might match the return type of a GCC
> |    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> | #ifdef __cplusplus
> | extern "C"
> | #endif
> | char regcomp ();
> | /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
> |     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
> |     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
> | #if defined __stub_regcomp || defined __stub___regcomp
> | choke me
> | #endif
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> | return regcomp ();
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:5850: result: no
> configure:5860: error: No regcomp library function.
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------
>
>
> My build environnement is up and working (I made several builds of other
> programs before without any problems).
>
> As the problem seems to come from regex libraries missing , I downloaded
> mingw-libgnurx-2.5.1 (dev and bin) from mingw sourceforge repository
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=73286&
> release_id=140957.
>
> I copied the files :
> libgnurx-0.dll in c:/MinGW/bin
> libgnurx.dll.a and libregex.a in c:/MinGW/lib
> regex.h in c:/MinGW/include
>
> But it is still not working (regex.h check goes to "yes" in the configure
> process, but still the regcomp error)...
>
> I also notice the same error in another program I tried to
> configure/compile, also dealing with regex ...
> In conclusion, I cannot compile any program which got a regcomp check in
> configure !
>
> Maybe I have not installed/copied the regex library well, as it seems to be
> a shared lib ...
>
> Please help !
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Guillaume BRAUX
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
> _______________________________________________
> MinGW-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
> You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
>
> _______________________________________________
> This list observes the Etiquette found at
> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> We ask that you be polite and do the same.
>
> Most annoying abuses are:
> 1) Top posting
> 2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
> 3) Improper quoting
> 4) Improper trimming
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

_______________________________________________
This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
4) Improper trimming
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "No regcomp library function" error during configure

Keith Marshall
In reply to this post by Guillaume BRAUX
On Thursday 05 February 2009 01:38:11 Guillaume BRAUX wrote:

> I am getting
> this error when trying to configure :
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw
> .
> .
> checking regex.h usability... yes
> checking regex.h presence... yes
> checking for regcomp... no
> configure: error: No regcomp library function.

MinGW doesn't provide regex by default, but it is provided as a User
Contributed add-on.  You've clearly installed a regex package from
somewhere, since you have the regex.h header; was this our package,
or from some other source?  If from another source, then please try
our package; if it was ours, then please read on...

Accompanying the regex.h header, we also provide libregex.a, which
definitely *does* provide regcomp(), (as an import stub for an actual
function implementation in libgnurx-0.dll).  Please check config.log
for the detailed reason for failure of the library test; did the
configure test correctly specify the library to check?  If not, then
maybe you need to provide a `--with-regex=...' or similar option to
configure, (try `configure --help' for syntax), or you may need to
add `-lregex' to LDFLAGS when you run configure; if yes, then is the
library correctly installed, in an appropriate path?

Without details of the actual reason for failure, as may be found in
config.log, there really isn't much more advice I can offer.

--

Regards,
Keith.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

_______________________________________________
This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
4) Improper trimming
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "No regcomp library function" error during configure

Keith Marshall
In reply to this post by Michel Boaventura
On Thursday 05 February 2009 02:39:02 Michel Boaventura wrote:

[top posted reply]

> Regcomp cames on gnulib. Maybe you should download the last version
> and include it using LIBFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

[quoted content snipped]

Michel,

Two issues here:

1) Please DO NOT top post.  (If you don't know what this means, or why
we find it so annoying, then please read http://tinyurl.com/ev66).

2) Please acquaint yourself with the packages WE offer, before sending
users to some other project.  While gnulib may offer a suitable regex
implementation, WE have OUR OWN, which is known to work with MinGW,
and which most definitely DOES provide regcomp().  This should ALWAYS
be preferred over any foreign implementation.

--

Regards,
Keith.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

_______________________________________________
This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
4) Improper trimming
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "No regcomp library function" error during configure

Michel Boaventura
2009/2/5 Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>:

> 1) Please DO NOT top post.  (If you don't know what this means, or why
> we find it so annoying, then please read http://tinyurl.com/ev66).

Sorry about that Keith, and thanks to send me this useful link.

> 2) Please acquaint yourself with the packages WE offer, before sending
> users to some other project.  While gnulib may offer a suitable regex
> implementation, WE have OUR OWN, which is known to work with MinGW,
> and which most definitely DOES provide regcomp().  This should ALWAYS
> be preferred over any foreign implementation.

I will try to learn more about this. Thanks again.

Michel Boaventura

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

_______________________________________________
This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
4) Improper trimming