puzzle: make or sh seem to ping network on invocation

puzzle: make or sh seem to ping network on invocation

Jean Rajotte
Hi, I'm brand new on this list.

Been using msys make or sh for quite a while and I keep getting this weird
behaviour and can't figure out what's may be wrong w/ my config.  Other folks on
the team don't get this happening.

"This" is this:

upon invoking make or sh on the command line, there's a loooooong delay before
any action happens IF I have an internet connection.  If I don't have a
connection, I get the expected swift response.  When I'm in the office, I don't
have this problem.  When I'm connected to the office's VPN I don't have this
problem.  So, what is it? ...  sh is pinging the network for something and it
takes it a while to give up...  If there's no network it doesn't ping. If the
VPN is on it finds what it's looking for....?

I wish it weren't looking for anything because it works fine without it.

Could someone please point me to a bit of config that would change this...

Using MSYS version 3.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

Thanks,

Jean

Re: puzzle: make or sh seem to ping network on invocation

Brian Dessent
Jean Rajotte wrote:

> upon invoking make or sh on the command line, there's a loooooong delay before
> any action happens IF I have an internet connection.  If I don't have a
> connection, I get the expected swift response.  When I'm in the office, I don't
> have this problem.  When I'm connected to the office's VPN I don't have this
> problem.  So, what is it? ...  sh is pinging the network for something and it
> takes it a while to give up...  If there's no network it doesn't ping. If the
> VPN is on it finds what it's looking for....?

It sounds like your Makefile introduces a stray slash into a pathname
somewhere which is turning a regular filename into a UNC path.  For
example trying to access //foo/bar will cause a SMB/CIFS lookup for a
share named 'bar' on a machine named 'foo'.

Brian

Re: puzzle: make or sh seem to ping network on invocation

Jean Rajotte

>> upon invoking make or sh on the command line, there's a loooooong delay before
>> any action happens IF I have an internet connection.  If I don't have a
>> connection, I get the expected swift response.  When I'm in the office, I don't
>> have this problem.  When I'm connected to the office's VPN I don't have this
>> problem.  So, what is it? ...  sh is pinging the network for something and it
>> takes it a while to give up...  If there's no network it doesn't ping. If the
>> VPN is on it finds what it's looking for....?
>
> It sounds like your Makefile introduces a stray slash into a pathname
> somewhere which is turning a regular filename into a UNC path.  For
> example trying to access //foo/bar will cause a SMB/CIFS lookup for a
> share named 'bar' on a machine named 'foo'.
>
> Brian

Brian, thanks, but it's not it.  The problem manifests even when I merely say:
"sh --version".

Jean Rajotte wrote:

> Brian, thanks, but it's not it.  The problem manifests even when I merely say:
> "sh --version".

It still could affect you, for example if an environment variable like
HOME or PATH contains a stray UNC path.

Brian

Re: puzzle: make or sh seem to ping networkon invocation

Jean Rajotte

>> Brian, thanks, but it's not it.  The problem manifests even when I merely say:
>> "sh --version".
>
> It still could affect you, for example if an environment variable like
> HOME or PATH contains a stray UNC path.
>
> Brian

Just scrutinized that found no \\ or // in PATH or HOME.  Thanks for playing!
Still no fix.

Jean

Re: puzzle: make or sh seem to ping network on invocation

Jean Rajotte
More info, via procmon.exe

When connected to the VPN, this statement succeeds:

"CreateFile","\\SRV\PIPE\samr","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Generic Read/Write,
Disposition: Open, Options: Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode:
Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened"

It then does a bunch of :

"FileSystemControl","\\SRV\IPC$\samr","SUCCESS","Control: FSCTL_PIPE_TRANSCEIVE,
WriteLength: 1,024, ReadLength: 72"

and then concludes with:

"Thread Create","","SUCCESS","Thread ID: 2620"

Whereas w/o VPN, it waits for a while and then shows:

"CreateFile","\\SRV\PIPE\samr","BAD NETWORK PATH","Desired Access: Generic
Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a,
ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a"

followed by:

"Thread Create","","SUCCESS","Thread ID: 7132"

W/O network connection, it doesn't try to connect to \\SRV\PIPE\samr.

Either something is configured weird on my box re: networking, or in the msys
world...

Still hoping for more light.  Thanks for sticking w/ this...

Quoting Brian Dessent <[hidden email]>:

> Jean Rajotte wrote:
>
>> Brian, thanks, but it's not it.  The problem manifests even when I
>> merely say:
>> "sh --version".
>
> It still could affect you, for example if an environment variable like
> HOME or PATH contains a stray UNC path.

If you have any USB device that isn't responding that could cause an
issue.  Or most likely after reading your original post it is a mapped
drive that isn't connected to a server.  MSYS reads the list of drive
letters and tries to read them.  But I thought it only did it on the
initialization routine of the dll.  So if the dll remains in memory it
shouldn't do this with every occurrence.  But if you have an
environment variable (any variable) with the drive letter that isn't
connected then that might cause the effect you see as well.

Jean Rajotte wrote:

> Whereas w/o VPN, it waits for a while and then shows:
>
> "CreateFile","\\SRV\PIPE\samr","BAD NETWORK PATH","Desired Access: Generic
> Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a,
> ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a"

Something is trying to do a RPC SAMR[1] call to look up user/group
info.  What groups are listed in your process token, and are any of them
domain groups?  You might want to check if the /etc/group and
/etc/passwd files were generated with mkpasswd and mkgroup with the -d
flag so it contains the domain users and group uid/gid info.  (I don't
know if the version of Cygwin that MSYS forked from supported this or
not.)  You can also try disabling the NT ACL<->POSIX mapping with
'nontsec' but then modes on files won't be emulated any more.

Brian

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc211750.aspx