proposal to include c++ ABI ref in building DLL faqs

proposal to include c++ ABI ref in building DLL faqs

Marc Vaillant
First, it appears that there is no access to much of the FAQ, neither
from the new wiki nor the old.

I think the distinction between c and c++ ABI needs to clear and up
front in the various faqs on linking to dlls built from other compilers.
E.g. by citing http://aegisknight.org/cppinterface.html.
I realize that there is the "mixing compilers" or mixobjects faq but
people usually stumble across "How can an MSVC program call an MinGW
DLL, and vice versa?" first and assume that c++ dlls are just going to
work the same way.  Also, I think that the "How do I create a DLL" faq
should have the reference up front as well (it might already, I can't
remember but the page isn't available and I don't feel like hunting down
a cached version).

Marc

Re: proposal to include c++ ABI ref in building DLL faqs

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Marc Vaillant <[hidden email]>:

> First, it appears that there is no access to much of the FAQ, neither
> from the new wiki nor the old.
>
> I think the distinction between c and c++ ABI needs to clear and up
> front in the various faqs on linking to dlls built from other compilers.
> E.g. by citing http://aegisknight.org/cppinterface.html.
> I realize that there is the "mixing compilers" or mixobjects faq but
> people usually stumble across "How can an MSVC program call an MinGW
> DLL, and vice versa?" first and assume that c++ dlls are just going to
> work the same way.  Also, I think that the "How do I create a DLL" faq
> should have the reference up front as well (it might already, I can't
> remember but the page isn't available and I don't feel like hunting down
> a cached version).

My work goal for wiki is:

1) Rework FAQ/HOWTO so that all data is moved from the old to the
current wiki.
2) Rework FAQ/HOWTO navigation

Some of this work is happening in parallel as I move from link to link.
  In particular I'm reworking the FAQ so that the FAQ page is more an
index of information and the data will be in the subsequent pages.  I'm
also hoping that proper tagging will help find the relevant related
information.  Once that is complete another pass-through will be
accomplished again focusing on navigation but also focusing on the
presentation and relevance of the data.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 07:30:14AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Quoting Marc Vaillant <[hidden email]>:
>
> > First, it appears that there is no access to much of the FAQ, neither
> > from the new wiki nor the old.
> >
> > I think the distinction between c and c++ ABI needs to clear and up
> > front in the various faqs on linking to dlls built from other compilers.
> > E.g. by citing http://aegisknight.org/cppinterface.html.
> > I realize that there is the "mixing compilers" or mixobjects faq but
> > people usually stumble across "How can an MSVC program call an MinGW
> > DLL, and vice versa?" first and assume that c++ dlls are just going to
> > work the same way.  Also, I think that the "How do I create a DLL" faq
> > should have the reference up front as well (it might already, I can't
> > remember but the page isn't available and I don't feel like hunting down
> > a cached version).
> >

> My work goal for wiki is:
>
> 1) Rework FAQ/HOWTO so that all data is moved from the old to the
> current wiki.
> 2) Rework FAQ/HOWTO navigation
>
> Some of this work is happening in parallel as I move from link to link.
>   In particular I'm reworking the FAQ so that the FAQ page is more an
> index of information and the data will be in the subsequent pages.  I'm
> also hoping that proper tagging will help find the relevant related
> information.  Once that is complete another pass-through will be
> accomplished again focusing on navigation but also focusing on the
> presentation and relevance of the data.

Thanks for the update Earnie.

Quoting Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>:

> Quoting Marc Vaillant <[hidden email]>:
>
>> First, it appears that there is no access to much of the FAQ, neither
>> from the new wiki nor the old.
>>
>> I think the distinction between c and c++ ABI needs to clear and up
>> front in the various faqs on linking to dlls built from other compilers.
>> E.g. by citing http://aegisknight.org/cppinterface.html.
>> I realize that there is the "mixing compilers" or mixobjects faq but
>> people usually stumble across "How can an MSVC program call an MinGW
>> DLL, and vice versa?" first and assume that c++ dlls are just going to
>> work the same way.  Also, I think that the "How do I create a DLL" faq
>> should have the reference up front as well (it might already, I can't
>> remember but the page isn't available and I don't feel like hunting down
>> a cached version).
>>

> My work goal for wiki is:
>
> 1) Rework FAQ/HOWTO so that all data is moved from the old to the
> current wiki.
> 2) Rework FAQ/HOWTO navigation
>
> Some of this work is happening in parallel as I move from link to link.
>  In particular I'm reworking the FAQ so that the FAQ page is more an
> index of information and the data will be in the subsequent pages.  I'm
> also hoping that proper tagging will help find the relevant related
> information.  Once that is complete another pass-through will be
> accomplished again focusing on navigation but also focusing on the
> presentation and relevance of the data.

FYI, my time toward these tasks is limited between 2 to 4 hours a week.

Automake and tools - Which one?

Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes
Hello

I used autoreconf and stuff on a machine running ubuntu 8.10 to create packages for my future reference.  I also need to port them to windows using mingw and msys.

I tried the same tools on mingw but msys returned a couple of errors (no errors on ubuntu).  I checked the mingw-msys "system" for the tools available and saw that there is more than one version.  I think that it would be a good idea to remove the old packages and have just one, the lastest one.  How can I do?  And which one is the last package (I got confused with the label used in some of the packages)?

Many thanks

Ed