parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

12

parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Pete Flugstad
I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.

I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j #).

However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version is 3.81.

If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.  Version is 3.82.90.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Pete

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:18:01 -0500
> From: Pete Flugstad <[hidden email]>
>
> I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in
> C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it
> under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j
> #).
>
> However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire
> off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version
> is 3.81.
>
> If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.
> Version is 3.82.90.
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Thad Guidry
Eli,

Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:18:01 -0500
> From: Pete Flugstad <[hidden email]>
>
> I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in
> C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it
> under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j
> #).
>
> However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire
> off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version
> is 3.81.
>
> If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.
> Version is 3.82.90.
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Renato Silva
mingw-get update && mingw-get upgrade, no? I've heard sometimes (or always) it's not to be run from within MSYS (bash) though.

2013/10/7 Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
Eli,

Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:18:01 -0500
> From: Pete Flugstad <[hidden email]>
>
> I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in
> C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it
> under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j
> #).
>
> However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire
> off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version
> is 3.81.
>
> If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.
> Version is 3.82.90.
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Thad Guidry
hmm... I seem to have both under C:\MinGW\bin  ? ...

$ make -v
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-msys

$ mingw32-make -v
GNU Make 3.99.90
Built for Windows32
Copyright (C) 1988-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Renato Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
mingw-get update && mingw-get upgrade, no? I've heard sometimes (or always) it's not to be run from within MSYS (bash) though.

2013/10/7 Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
Eli,

Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:18:01 -0500
> From: Pete Flugstad <[hidden email]>
>
> I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in
> C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it
> under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j
> #).
>
> However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire
> off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version
> is 3.81.
>
> If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.
> Version is 3.82.90.
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Renato Silva
Make and mingw32-make should be located separately:

$ winpath /bin/*make.exe
C:/Programs/Desenvolvimento/MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/make.exe

$ winpath /mingw/bin/*make.exe
C:/Programs/Desenvolvimento/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe

Where did you get your mingw32-make though? On my up-to-date installation, it's an older version:

$ mingw32-make -v | head -1
GNU Make 3.82.90

2013/10/7 Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
hmm... I seem to have both under C:\MinGW\bin  ? ...

$ make -v
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-msys

$ mingw32-make -v
GNU Make 3.99.90
Built for Windows32
Copyright (C) 1988-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Renato Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
mingw-get update && mingw-get upgrade, no? I've heard sometimes (or always) it's not to be run from within MSYS (bash) though.

2013/10/7 Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
Eli,

Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:18:01 -0500
> From: Pete Flugstad <[hidden email]>
>
> I have standard MinGW/MSYS installed (using mingw-get-inst-20120426) in
> C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
>
> I have a program that I build with a normal GNU makefile.  I've used it
> under Cygwin and natively in Linux, both in single and parallel mode (-j
> #).
>
> However, with MinGW, if I try make -j 4, I see the first four compiles fire
> off, but then it hangs, with make.exe chewing up one core (25%).  Version
> is 3.81.
>
> If I run with mingw32-make -j 4, it behaves as all 4 cores are utilized.
> Version is 3.82.90.
>
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Thad Guidry
Yeah, I also only have 3.82.90 inside msys but...

The 3.99 version comes from the fact that I have added a specific mingw toolchain path to my C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/etc/profile at the end:

export PATH="/c/mingw-toolchains/x64-4.8.1-release-win32-seh-rev5/mingw64/bin:$PATH"

On 07/10/13 21:43, Renato Silva wrote:
> mingw-get update && mingw-get upgrade, no? I've heard sometimes (or always)
> it's not to be run from within MSYS (bash) though.

Whatever gives you that idea?  For most cases, it's complete nonsense,
of course.  The exceptions are that you cannot upgrade msys-1.0.dll or
MSYS bash itself, while running mingw-get from within MSYS bash.

When upgrading MSYS, you will generally have better success if you
ensure that there are no MSYS processes running at all, then use the GUI
version of mingw-get, invoked directly from the Windows shell, (which
does NOT mean cmd.exe; it means explorer.exe).

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Renato Silva
Please forward your arrogance to whoever said something like that (either yourself or Earnie, I believe). Anyway, how do you expect us to know in advance what's going to get updated, so it may properly become a nonsense concern? That's the very reason of "always", duh.

What is nonsense here is telling end users to manually check running processes, instead of implementing the update process properly, by detecting if any of the files subject to the update are in use and blocked for overwriting.

2013/10/7 Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
On 07/10/13 21:43, Renato Silva wrote:
> mingw-get update && mingw-get upgrade, no? I've heard sometimes (or always)
> it's not to be run from within MSYS (bash) though.

Whatever gives you that idea?  For most cases, it's complete nonsense,
of course.  The exceptions are that you cannot upgrade msys-1.0.dll or
MSYS bash itself, while running mingw-get from within MSYS bash.

When upgrading MSYS, you will generally have better success if you
ensure that there are no MSYS processes running at all, then use the GUI
version of mingw-get, invoked directly from the Windows shell, (which
does NOT mean cmd.exe; it means explorer.exe).

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:16:06 -0500
> From: Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and
> upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?

I got mine here:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/

These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need make.exe
from there.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Keith Marshall
On 08/10/13 07:15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:16:06 -0500
>> From: Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>>
>> Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and
>> upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?
>
> I got mine here:
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/
>
> These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need make.exe
> from there.

The provider of those builds is, in no way, affiliated with MinGW.org,
and his builds are not supported here.  If you have issues with them,
then please direct them to *his* support forum, (which is NOT here).

On 08/10/13 05:47, Renato Silva wrote:
> Please forward your arrogance ...

Arrogance, eh?  Please youself; you are entitled to your opinion.

When you don't know what you are talking about, it's better to say
nothing.  When you do choose to espouse nonsense, expect to be shot
down.  Renato Silva just earned his place on my ID-10T lusers list.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

> Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 08:09:38 +0100
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>
> On 08/10/13 07:15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:16:06 -0500
> >> From: Thad Guidry <[hidden email]>
> >> Cc: [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Is there an easy upgrade way at the MSYS command line for getting and
> >> upgrading the MSYS build of Make ?
> >
> > I got mine here:
> >
> >   https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/
> >
> > These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need make.exe
> > from there.
>
> The provider of those builds is, in no way, affiliated with MinGW.org,
> and his builds are not supported here.  If you have issues with them,
> then please direct them to *his* support forum, (which is NOT here).

It's actually the other way around: the official binary of Make
distributed with MSYS is where I had "issues" when trying to do
parallel builds.  By contrast, the binary from the above site (which
indeed is in no way affiliated with MinGW.org) works flawlessly for me
for many months in lots of parallel builds I did since I installed it.

I'd actually love to have a newer and parallel-able MSYS Make from
MinGW.org, especially since Make 4.0 is about to be released every day
now (hint, hint), but, alas, MinGW.org still carries the ancient
version 3.81 which chokes on -j.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

> Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 08:15:12 +0100
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>
> On 08/10/13 05:47, Renato Silva wrote:
> > Please forward your arrogance ...
>
> Arrogance, eh?  Please youself; you are entitled to your opinion.

Please add mine to the list.

> When you don't know what you are talking about, it's better to say
> nothing.  When you do choose to espouse nonsense, expect to be shot
> down.  Renato Silva just earned his place on my ID-10T lusers list.

You are talking as if you are absolutely sure Renato wrote that
"nonsense" knowing it as such.  But that is false on the Internet,
where misunderstandings and confusion explain such incidents much
better than ill will.

It is much better to assume a misunderstanding, and explain _why_ what
Renato wrote was incorrect, than "shoot him down".  After all, he was
trying to help.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Renato Silva

And more important, I was just replicating what probably Earnie or himself said in another thread. So if not using bash to update && upgrade (due to the possibility of bash itself getting updated, and considering mingw-get is unbelievably dumb to not handle this, as "proudly documented" on random mailing list threads) is nonsense, then it's nonsense right from the official maintainers, not me (I know at this point it turns into "you haven't really reproduced what was said", blah blah...).

If haven't seen with my own eyes an official maintainer here not knowing what ';' does in bash, and telling MinGW is downloaded by 2 million people every day, then I would maybe have any respect for whatever some other maintainer thinks about other people. As for the "loser", he should know that's an offense very particular to the culture of the country where he reside, it sounds ridiculous at best. Even so, if I'm on *his* losers list then I guess I'm just alright!

After all, I have no idea what he initially meant at all, since he just confirmed the information I have reproduced (including with the GUI suggestion).

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'd actually love to have a newer and parallel-able MSYS Make from
> MinGW.org, especially since Make 4.0 is about to be released every day
> now (hint, hint), but, alas, MinGW.org still carries the ancient
> version 3.81 which chokes on -j.

Getting this thread back on topic, who wants to step up and give us a
build we can add to MinGW.org?  My round tuit list is full.

I will state that I've actually used -j with the MSYS make on
occasion.  I was unaware of any hangs with it.

Re: Using mingw-get within MSYS.

I use mingw-get within MSYS all the time.  Keith pointed out the only
issues with doing that as updating MSYS itself (the msys-1.0.dll would
be in use) or if bash is being updated while being used.  My work
around for that is to ``start cmd && exit'' then execute mingw-get
from there.

Re: Detection of running process with mingw-get.

Please step up to the plate and provide a patch for mingw-get, it
would really be difficult at this point to know if a process is
running holding a file open for an extracting archive.  It would be
easier for the package maintainer to try to determine that via a
pre-install lua script but even then it would be difficult since the
user could hit the apply button then go about using what is being
updated before it actually occurs.

Re: Who is the idiot 'round here.

All of this finger pointing needs to stop, we are a community of
idiots trying to serve each other idiot and we individually do not
have time to be biting off the each others pointing fingers.  If you
find something to be unusable then help us make it so rather than
going elsewhere to find something that works.  We cannot do it without
the community forming an effort.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 07:13:36 -0400
> From: Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
>
> I will state that I've actually used -j with the MSYS make on
> occasion.  I was unaware of any hangs with it.

I heard success reports with it as well, but there are also a lot of
reports about it hanging with -j.  You can find them easily by
googling; quite a few were posted here.

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Pete Flugstad
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone have a clue what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Get a newer MSYS build of Make.  It's a known problem with the
official binary.

(sorry for the dup - forgot to Reply-All).

I did the mingw-get update and mingw-upgrade and it did not upgrade msys-make.

Running "mingw-get upgrade msys-make" informs me that package make-3.81-3-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.lzma is up to date, which leads me to believe that 3.81 is the latest the official repo has in it.

So, what is the "MinGW way" to upgrade to the latest version of msys-make?  Is there a different repo/PPA/whatever I need to add to a config file somewhere?   Or where can I find a newer lzma (or .dep/.rpm/etc), and how is it installed (dpkg -i, rpm -Uvh, ... ).

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm familiar with both Debian/APT and RedHat/RPM, but MinGW's system is new to me, and my google-foo is weak.

Thanks,
Pete

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Thad Guidry

So, what is the "MinGW way" to upgrade to the latest version of msys-make?  Is there a different repo/PPA/whatever I need to add to a config file somewhere?   Or where can I find a newer lzma (or .dep/.rpm/etc), and how is it installed (dpkg -i, rpm -Uvh, ... ).

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm familiar with both Debian/APT and RedHat/RPM, but MinGW's system is new to me, and my google-foo is weak.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

To physically, rather than logically or programatically get the newest files, you can just go to the MinGW repo source url itself for Make, found under Extension...

Re: parallel make hangs - parallel mingw32-make works

Pete Flugstad
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Thad Guidry <[hidden email]> wrote
So, what is the "MinGW way" to upgrade to the latest version of msys-make?  Is there a different repo/PPA/whatever I need to add to a config file somewhere?   Or where can I find a newer lzma (or .dep/.rpm/etc), and how is it installed (dpkg -i, rpm -Uvh, ... ).

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm familiar with both Debian/APT and RedHat/RPM, but MinGW's system is new to me, and my google-foo is weak.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

To physically, rather than logically or programatically get the newest files, you can just go to the MinGW repo source url itself for Make, found under Extension...

Except isn't this the mingw32-make, vs msys-make?  I've tried using mingw32-make (3.82.90) and it works for me in parallel, but others around here have problems with it (long pauses, etc).

Pete

12