news on my sh startup lag discussed last week

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

news on my sh startup lag discussed last week

Jean Rajotte
Hi,

thank you those who made suggestions last week when I described the lag I was
experiencing when starting sh and anything that uses it (e.g. make).  I
described that whenever I or a program executed "make" or "sh", there was a lag
of ~30 seconds before the programs responded WHEN I was connected to the network
AND not connected to the office's VPN.  It happened because sh is
trying/re-trying to do a SAMR thing, which has to do w/ login rights.

It looks like it's trying to find the server registered as the LOGONSERVER in
Windows and fails.  It retries several times before giving up and continuing its
startup sequence.

It may be dumb and I may yet regret it, but for now, I've figured that I just
have to "set LOGONSERVER=\\MY_MACHINE" at the top of my Windows console session,
overwriting the LOGONSERVER=\\BIG_BOSS I get from Windows.  When I do that, sh
just starts w/o delay.  BTW, when I "set LOGONSERVER=", the same delay happens,
and then sh sets LOGONSERVER=\\MY_MACHINE...

Thought you might want to know.  Also, I'm surprised I can't find references to
this complaint anywhere.  Shirley, I'm not the only one who has a corporate
laptop (i.e. w/ centrally controlled access rights, hence the LOGONSERVER
setting) that I take home and connect to the home LAN and continue to develop.
Does this "fix/kludge" belong on the wiki?

Jean

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: news on my sh startup lag discussed last week

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Jean Rajotte <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> thank you those who made suggestions last week when I described the lag I was
> experiencing when starting sh and anything that uses it (e.g. make).  I
> described that whenever I or a program executed "make" or "sh", there
> was a lag
> of ~30 seconds before the programs responded WHEN I was connected to
> the network
> AND not connected to the office's VPN.  It happened because sh is
> trying/re-trying to do a SAMR thing, which has to do w/ login rights.
>
> It looks like it's trying to find the server registered as the LOGONSERVER in
> Windows and fails.  It retries several times before giving up and
> continuing its
> startup sequence.
>
> It may be dumb and I may yet regret it, but for now, I've figured that I just
> have to "set LOGONSERVER=\\MY_MACHINE" at the top of my Windows
> console session,
> overwriting the LOGONSERVER=\\BIG_BOSS I get from Windows.  When I do
> that, sh
> just starts w/o delay.  BTW, when I "set LOGONSERVER=", the same
> delay happens,
> and then sh sets LOGONSERVER=\\MY_MACHINE...
>

Hmm...  I'm not sure what my laptop does with this.  I've used it for
building programs offline but not connected to a home network.

> Thought you might want to know.  Also, I'm surprised I can't find
> references to
> this complaint anywhere.  Shirley, I'm not the only one who has a corporate
> laptop (i.e. w/ centrally controlled access rights, hence the LOGONSERVER
> setting) that I take home and connect to the home LAN and continue to
> develop.
> Does this "fix/kludge" belong on the wiki?
>

Thanks for the information.  It should at least be mentioned as an
issue that has a simple workaround.  I will look at inserting it in the
slow response section.

Earnie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: news on my sh startup lag discussed last week

Jean Rajotte



Earnie said:
>
> Hmm...  I'm not sure what my laptop does with this.  I've used it for
> building programs offline but not connected to a home network.
>

I'd be curious to hear what happens when you do -- I've had diverse networking
problems w/ this laptop and I've kept wondering whether this msys issue was
strictly an msys issue or the fall-out of some other systemic issue.  Meanwhile,
though, the fix makes the booboo go away.

Jean

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
[hidden email]

You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users