newbie trying to run Windows Python in rxvt under MinGW - broken link in FAQ

newbie trying to run Windows Python in rxvt under MinGW - broken link in FAQ

jonathan hartley
I'm trying to run an interactive Python session rxvt under MinGW on
WinXP, but I see no output from the Python process.

Python is v3.0 of the Windows install.

Typing 'exit()' or '^Z' don't exit from the Python sessoion either, as I
would expect them too. I have to CTRL-C out or kill python.exe.

I've had an identical problem in the past trying to run Windows Python
under Rxvt in Cygwin. However, this time around, I'm following the
advice in the book 'Expert Python Programming', so I no longer believe
that what I'm trying to do is all that unreasonable.

Apologies if this is a FAQ, however, the answer in:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/FAQ

...is a broken link to a wiki page that does not exist:

    * *My programs don't print output; how do I fix this? *
          o This is a long standing issue. Page programs not print in
            MSYS <http://www.mingw.org/wiki/programs_not_print_in_MSYS>
            holds information on bypassing this problem.

('programs not print in MSYS' is a broken wiki link.)

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions of what I should go read about.
Been searching for hours now.

    Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hartley  [hidden email]
+44 7737 062 225  http://tartley.com

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: newbie trying to run Windows Python in rxvt under MinGW - broken link in FAQ

Earnie Boyd

Quoting jonathan hartley <[hidden email]>:

> I'm trying to run an interactive Python session rxvt under MinGW on
> WinXP, but I see no output from the Python process.

Your issue stems from the broken pty emulation in the MSYS/CYGWIN
runtime.  There is no way to properly emulate the POSIX pty on WINDOWS.
  You simply will not be able to do what you wish with RXVT in its
current state.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.