newbie errors

Ralph Hipps
trying to get the makefile working:

c:\ash>mingw32-make.exe makefile

-x was unexpected at this time.
mingw32-make.exe: Nothing to be done for 'makefile'.

ok, let's try make instead, but not on path, so added path to msys:

=== Making output directory.
+++ Compiling aardvark.c
aardvark.c:1:0: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
make: *** [_output/aardvark.o] Error 1

hm... is this progress?
I don't see anything in aardvark.c about 64 mode, or in aardvark.h either, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

 |    /\
 |___/  \
 O O O
In the twenty-first century, the robot will take the place
which slave labor occupied in ancient civilization.
 -- Nikola Tesla