msys can not find gcc under Windows 8.1

Richard Gipps
Hi,
     I have been running MinGW and msys on a Windows XP box successfully
for years.

I recently installed MinGW/msys on a Windows 8.1 box using the
mingw-get-setup.exe application. When I started msys and tried to run
gcc, i got the following error:

sh: gcc: command not found

make however works so it is like the bin directory containing gcc is not
in the path. If I echo the PATH I get:

.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:.....

This is identical to my Windows XP box.

The actual path where msys etc are installed is:

D:\Lang\MinGW\msys\1.0

This is also identical to my Windows XP box.

Any ideas?

Richard.

Re: msys can not find gcc under Windows 8.1

Keith Marshall-2
On 10/08/14 12:22, Richard Gipps wrote:
> ... it is like the bin directory containing gcc is not
> in the path. If I echo the PATH I get:
>
> .:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:.....
>
> This is identical to my Windows XP box.

This is correct.

> The actual path where msys etc are installed is:
>
> D:\Lang\MinGW\msys\1.0
>
> This is also identical to my Windows XP box.

Also okay.

> Any ideas?

Yes, (but it's speculative); you have neglected to set up /etc/fstab, to
"mount" the /mingw file system.  Assuming that you've installed it at
D:\Lang\MinGW, (by deduction from your MSYS path), you may set it up by
running (once, from the MSYS shell prompt):

   mount d:/Lang/MinGW /mingw

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/44002 for the
explanation of why mingw-get (currently) needs your help to complete
this; the situation should improve when MSYS-1.0.19 is released.

On 10/08/14 10:20 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 10/08/14 12:22, Richard Gipps wrote:
>> ... it is like the bin directory containing gcc is not
>> in the path. If I echo the PATH I get:
>>
>> .:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:.....
>>
>> This is identical to my Windows XP box.
> This is correct.
>
>> The actual path where msys etc are installed is:
>>
>> D:\Lang\MinGW\msys\1.0
>>
>> This is also identical to my Windows XP box.
> Also okay.
>
>> Any ideas?
> Yes, (but it's speculative); you have neglected to set up /etc/fstab, to
> "mount" the /mingw file system.  Assuming that you've installed it at
> D:\Lang\MinGW, (by deduction from your MSYS path), you may set it up by
> running (once, from the MSYS shell prompt):
>
>     mount d:/Lang/MinGW /mingw
>
> See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/44002 for the
> explanation of why mingw-get (currently) needs your help to complete
> this; the situation should improve when MSYS-1.0.19 is released.

Thanks Keith, That fixed it.

Richard.