msys-bsdtar problems

Chris Johns
Hello,

I am building RTEMS cross-compilers on MinGW under MSYS and I have hit a
bug where the msys tar will not create a specific directory in the C++
package gcc-g++-4.6.3.tar.bz2 (or the .gz version). The path is not
handy to me at the moment but is deep in the C++ test suite and the
error is "Path too long". The msys tar is run as:

   bzip2 -dc gcc-g++-4.6.3.tar.bz2 | tar -xvvf -

... inside a build script which has already built autoconf, automake,
and binutils.

If I run the command after the failure from an MSYS prompt it works. I
have tried different top directory paths and I get the same failure.

I then tried the msys-bsdtar there was a problem with the dependent
dlls. The package installed lzma-5 while bsdtar wanted lzma-1. The
msys-bsdtar did not work. It does not set the time stamp on the files
correctly and this stuffs up building packages like automake.

I have tried the mingw32-bsdtar and it seems to work.

Do we need 2 bsdtar packages ? Can the broken msys-bsdtar please be
removed (fixed) ?

Chris

Re: msys-bsdtar problems

Renato Silva
2012/11/4 Chris Johns <[hidden email]>
Do we need 2 bsdtar packages ? Can the broken msys-bsdtar please be
removed (fixed) ?

Actually, three:

$ packages bsdtar
  1 mingw32-basic-bsdtar
  2 mingw32-bsdtar
  3 msys-bsdtar

>From description of MSYS version:

"The MinGW implementation does not support
archives with symbolic links, nor mtree data. It does, however,  operate
properly  on  systems  where MSYS is not installed. Both msys-bsdtar and
mingw32-bsdtar  depend  on  additional  DLLs  such  as   msys-libarchive
(mingw32-liblzma),  etc.  There  is,  in  addition, a MinGW package that
provides  a  standalone  version  of  bsdtar  which  has   no   external
dependencies  and  only limited functionality: mingw32-basic-bsdtar (see
its documentation for more information)."

Re: msys-bsdtar problems

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Renato Silva wrote:

> 2012/11/4 Chris Johns <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Do we need 2 bsdtar packages ? Can the broken msys-bsdtar please be
>> removed (fixed) ?
>>

> Actually, three:
>
> $ packages bsdtar
>   1 mingw32-basic-bsdtar

IIRC, this is supplied as a bootstrap for the other modules and to be
used only if you're doing manual download and install.

>   2 mingw32-bsdtar

IIRC, this is supplied for those who do not wish to install MSYS.

>   3 msys-bsdtar

This one is supplied so that tar files with symbolic links have a
chance to work.  This is the one that people who have MSYS should
install and use.

Chuck Wilson is the provider and maintainer of these.  He is currently
busy with his primary job with little time for his hobbies.  Hopefully
he will speak up about this.

Re: msys-bsdtar problems

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Chris Johns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am building RTEMS cross-compilers on MinGW under MSYS and I have hit a
> bug where the msys tar will not create a specific directory in the C++
> package gcc-g++-4.6.3.tar.bz2 (or the .gz version). The path is not
> handy to me at the moment but is deep in the C++ test suite and the
> error is "Path too long". The msys tar is run as:
>
>    bzip2 -dc gcc-g++-4.6.3.tar.bz2 | tar -xvvf -
>
> ... inside a build script which has already built autoconf, automake,
> and binutils.
>
> If I run the command after the failure from an MSYS prompt it works. I
> have tried different top directory paths and I get the same failure.

This sounds like the issue of command line size, see the following references.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/10/56028.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830473
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3205027/maximum-length-of-command-line-string

> I then tried the msys-bsdtar there was a problem with the dependent
> dlls. The package installed lzma-5 while bsdtar wanted lzma-1. The
> msys-bsdtar did not work. It does not set the time stamp on the files
> correctly and this stuffs up building packages like automake.
>
> I have tried the mingw32-bsdtar and it seems to work.
>
> Do we need 2 bsdtar packages ? Can the broken msys-bsdtar please be
> removed (fixed) ?

Chuck will look into your claim that msys-bsdtar is mucking the
timestamps when he gets a spare round tuit.  All of his round tuit's
are already spent currently.