mingwrt-3.21 released

Keith Marshall
Folks,

Although we still lack a maintainer -- any volunteers? -- I thought it
was time we had a new release, to replace the dysfunctional 4.x series;
thus I've pushed mingwrt-3.21 to FRS.  You may install/upgrade using
mingw-get, in the usual fashion, or manually unpack in place of your
existing installation, if you prefer.

Please refer to the attached release notes, for details of changes.

ReleaseNotes.txt (7K) Download Attachment

Re: mingwrt-3.21 released

Keith Marshall
On 28/12/14 23:53, Keith Marshall wrote:
> Please refer to the attached release notes, for details of changes.

Oops!  I missed a change relating to broken error handling in usleep();
see the last two items in the amended release notes, as attached, which
explain how I fixed it, adding sleep() and nanosleep() in the process,
and marking usleep() itself as deprecated.

ReleaseNotes.txt (8K) Download Attachment

Re: mingwrt-3.21 released

マーズ
Hello Keith Marshall, Happy New Year!
Will try out new mingwrt-3.21.

Keith Marshall wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Although we still lack a maintainer -- any volunteers? -- I
thought it
> was time we had a new release, to replace the dysfunctional
4.x series;
> thus I've pushed mingwrt-3.21 to FRS.  You may
install/upgrade using
> mingw-get, in the usual fashion, or manually unpack in
place of your
> existing installation, if you prefer.
>
> Please refer to the attached release notes, for details of
changes.

Re: mingwrt-3.21 released

> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:48:03 +0000
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>
> On 28/12/14 23:53, Keith Marshall wrote:
> > Please refer to the attached release notes, for details of changes.
>
> Oops!  I missed a change relating to broken error handling in usleep();
> see the last two items in the amended release notes, as attached, which
> explain how I fixed it, adding sleep() and nanosleep() in the process,
> and marking usleep() itself as deprecated.

Thank you for making this release.

Regarding this:

  * The opendir()/readdir() API has been modified, to avoid potential
    ambiguities in the layout of the "dirent" structure, arising from
    Microsoft's changes to the size of the timestamp fields within the
    embedded "_finddata_t" structure; (note that this introduces an ABI
    change, necessitating recompilation of any third party libraries
    which are to be used with this new mingwrt release).

Are there any plans for uploading to the MinGW site new builds of
libraries that are affected by this incompatibility?  E.g., libltdl
seems to be affected.

Re: mingwrt-3.21 released

> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:48:03 +0000
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>
> On 28/12/14 23:53, Keith Marshall wrote:
> > Please refer to the attached release notes, for details of changes.
>
> Oops!  I missed a change relating to broken error handling in usleep();
> see the last two items in the amended release notes, as attached, which
> explain how I fixed it, adding sleep() and nanosleep() in the process,
> and marking usleep() itself as deprecated.

I started using this today, and so far it looks very good, thanks.

Regarding this:

> * The opendir()/readdir() API has been modified, to avoid potential
>   ambiguities in the layout of the "dirent" structure, arising from
>   Microsoft's changes to the size of the timestamp fields within the
>   embedded "_finddata_t" structure; (note that this introduces an ABI
>   change, necessitating recompilation of any third party libraries
>   which are to be used with this new mingwrt release).

Isn't it true that this ABI change only affects static linking with
third-party libraries?  AFAIU, a DLL built with the old MinGW runtime
has opendir/readdir etc. statically linked into it, and so using such
a DLL from a program built with the new runtime will not present any
problems, unless the functions exported by the DLL accept the DIR and
dirent structures as arguments.  Is that correct, or am I missing
something?

Re: mingwrt-3.21 released

Keith Marshall
On 06/01/15 17:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Regarding this:
>
>> * The opendir()/readdir() API has been modified, to avoid potential
>>   ambiguities in the layout of the "dirent" structure, arising from
>>   Microsoft's changes to the size of the timestamp fields within the
>>   embedded "_finddata_t" structure; (note that this introduces an ABI
>>   change, necessitating recompilation of any third party libraries
>>   which are to be used with this new mingwrt release).
>
> Isn't it true that this ABI change only affects static linking with
> third-party libraries?  AFAIU, a DLL built with the old MinGW runtime
> has opendir/readdir etc. statically linked into it, and so using such
> a DLL from a program built with the new runtime will not present any
> problems, unless the functions exported by the DLL accept the DIR and
> dirent structures as arguments.  Is that correct, or am I missing
> something?

I believe you are correct ... I'm being cautious in recommending a
recompile of everything, to ensure ABI consistency.

Of course, anything we distribute ourselves should be appropriately
recompiled as a matter of course.  Unfortunately, current constraints on
my time mean that I cannot attend to this myself, at present, and I
don't know when I may be able get around to it, in the foreseeable
future.  Reports of any identified issues, which may be related, will be
appreciated; if any other MinGW developers can address such issues, in
the short term, that too will be much appreciated.