mingwrt-3.15.1 's getopt is stlll broken?

mingwrt-3.15.1 's getopt is stlll broken?

skeishi
I tried to compile CVS version of timidity
(http://timidity.sourceforge.net/).

I got a binary. But cannot use short option (like timidity -Od).

If use mingw-runtime-3.11, it works fine.

I got the same result with gcc 3.4.5 (mingw-vist
a special r3) and gcc 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2).

Aloso timidity CVS code can compie and works fine in linux with glibc.

Thanks
        Keishi Suenaga (skeishi.yahoo.co.jp)

Re: mingwrt-3.15.1 's getopt is stlll broken?

Earnie Boyd

Quoting skeishi <[hidden email]>:

> I tried to compile CVS version of timidity
> (http://timidity.sourceforge.net/).
>
> I got a binary. But cannot use short option (like timidity -Od).
>
> If use mingw-runtime-3.11, it works fine.

This is a known issue that Keith is working on to fix or has fixed in
CVS already.  Check the bug tracker and
http://www.mingw.org/Reporting_Bugs for more information.

> I got the same result with gcc 3.4.5 (mingw-vist
> a special r3) and gcc 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2).

That's because the root problem is within the mingw-runtime.

> Aloso timidity CVS code can compie and works fine in linux with glibc.

This has nothing to do with helping to solve the problem.

Re: mingwrt-3.15.1 's getopt is stlll broken?

Keith Marshall
On Wednesday 19 November 2008 13:22:52 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting skeishi <[hidden email]>:
> > I tried to compile CVS version of timidity
> > (http://timidity.sourceforge.net/).
> >
> > I got a binary. But cannot use short option (like timidity -Od).
> >
> > If use mingw-runtime-3.11, it works fine.
>
> This is a known issue ...

How can we possibly assert that?  The OP hasn't actually specified
what the issue is.

> that Keith is working on to fix or has fixed in CVS already.  Check
> the bug tracker and http://www.mingw.org/Reporting_Bugs for more
> information.

The only outstanding issue, of which I'm aware, is bug #2222263; on
that, I'm waiting to be convinced that any action is necessary, for I
consider the attached test case to demonstrate misuse of getopt(),
which may fortuitously work on other platforms because of the
particular manner in which they handle undefined behaviour.

> > I got the same result with gcc 3.4.5 (mingw-vist
> > a special r3) and gcc 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2).
>
> That's because the root problem is within the mingw-runtime.

Or, maybe it is fundamental misuse by the caller.

> > Aloso timidity CVS code can compie and works fine in linux with
> > glibc.
>
> This has nothing to do with helping to solve the problem.

Nor does it even confirm the OP's assertion that MinGW's getopt() is
broken.  We need to see sample code, which exhibits correct usage in
full compliance with POSIX, to demonstrate the problem.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists. We ask that you be polite and do the same.