Quantcast

[mingw32-make] VPATH doesn't work

Ming-Dien Chang
I use mingw32-make under command line of Windows XP.
But the VPATH seems work with only one path, not for multiple path.

Here is a simple Makefile:

VPATH = code:inc
all: Main.c
    @echo $<

and the error msg is:
      mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `Main.c', needed by `all'.  Stop.
It should be that mingw32-make cannot find the file Main.c, nor the target named 'Main.c'.
Apply option -p, got the following infor:
     # VPATH Search Paths
     # No `vpath' search paths.
     # No general (`VPATH' variable) search path.

Just simplify the VPATH to only one path (Main.c locates under the 'code' directory):

VPATH = code
all: Main.c
    @echo $<

it works fine.
and infor of option -p :
# VPATH Search Paths
# No `vpath' search paths.
# General (`VPATH' variable) search path:
# code

Do I misunderstand any thing ?

Re: [mingw32-make] VPATH doesn't work

Dave Korn
Ming-Dien Chang wrote on 12 September 2008 12:48:

> I use mingw32-make under command line of Windows XP.
> But the VPATH seems work with only one path, not for multiple path.
>
> Here is a simple Makefile:
>
> VPATH = code:inc

  This is windows.  Use semicolons to separate the path, a colon indicates a
drive letter.

> Just simplify the VPATH to only one path (Main.c locates under the 'code'
> directory):

  No colon any more!

> Do I misunderstand any thing ?

  Just that mingw32-make uses windows paths, not posix-style.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Re: [mingw32-make] VPATH doesn't work

Ming-Dien Chang
Thanks for  DaveK's response.
Actually, I have tried colon, semicolon, and space as the separator,
and the results are all the same.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Dave Korn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ming-Dien Chang wrote on 12 September 2008 12:48:

> I use mingw32-make under command line of Windows XP.
> But the VPATH seems work with only one path, not for multiple path.
>
> Here is a simple Makefile:
>
> VPATH = code:inc

 This is windows.  Use semicolons to separate the path, a colon indicates a
drive letter.

> Just simplify the VPATH to only one path (Main.c locates under the 'code'
> directory):

 No colon any more!

> Do I misunderstand any thing ?

 Just that mingw32-make uses windows paths, not posix-style.

   cheers,
     DaveK

Re: [mingw32-make] VPATH doesn't work

Greg Chicares
[Please don't top post. Here are guidelines for this mailing list:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/27577
Thanks.]

On 2008-09-12 12:30Z, Ming-Dien Chang wrote:
> Thanks for  DaveK's response.
> Actually, I have tried colon, semicolon, and space as the separator,
> and the results are all the same.

Try the vpath directive, delimiting paths with blank spaces for
portability. It is more powerful than the VPATH variable anyway:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Selective-Search

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Greg Chicares <[hidden email]> wrote:
[Please don't top post. Here are guidelines for this mailing list:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/27577
Thanks.]

Thanks for reminder.

Try the vpath directive, delimiting paths with blank spaces for
portability. It is more powerful than the VPATH variable anyway:
 http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Selective-Search

I have tried the VPATH and vpath, and nothing different.
mingw32-make still cannot find the prerequisite file.

VPATH = code inc
vpath %.c code inc

all: main.c
    @echo $<

Only path "code" included in VPATH or vpath could locate the prerequisite file
(main.c located in code/).

I just download mingw32-make, nothing else of MinGW packages.
Does it matter ?