mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

William Estrada
Hi group,

  I have installed the latest mingw pn my linux system and ran into this
problem:

    /usr/local/mingw32/bin/mingw32-gcc -DWIN32 -g -Wall -I.
    -I/usr/local/mingw32/include -L. -L/usr/local/mingw32/lib -lasound
    -lws2_32 winecho.c -o echo.exe
    fixme:msvcrt:_spawnve only trying .exe when no extension given
    mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or
    directory

I am sure it was how I did the install. I downloaded these:

    binutils-2.18.50-20080109-2-src.tar.gz
    gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz
    mingwrt-3.15.1-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
    mingw-utils-0.3-src.tar.gz
    w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar.gz

All but w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar.gz installed OK.

Any ideas??

Thanks for your time.

--
William Estrada
[hidden email]

Re: mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

JonY-2
On 10/30/2008 09:39, William Estrada wrote:

> Hi group,
>
>    I have installed the latest mingw pn my linux system and ran into this
> problem:
>
>      /usr/local/mingw32/bin/mingw32-gcc -DWIN32 -g -Wall -I.
>      -I/usr/local/mingw32/include -L. -L/usr/local/mingw32/lib -lasound
>      -lws2_32 winecho.c -o echo.exe
>      fixme:msvcrt:_spawnve only trying .exe when no extension given
>      mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or
>      directory
>
> I am sure it was how I did the install. I downloaded these:
>
>      binutils-2.18.50-20080109-2-src.tar.gz
>      gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz
>      mingwrt-3.15.1-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>      mingw-utils-0.3-src.tar.gz
>      w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>
> All but w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar.gz installed OK.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks for your time.

Hi,
please do tell how exactly did you install the MinGW toolchain,
especially binutils and mingw-gcc.

Did you compile gcc and binutils by yourself?

Re: mingw32-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

William Estrada
Jon,

  I downloaded the source files from Sourceforge and compiled and
installed them.
The files that did not need compiling I copied to /usr/local/mingw32
directory.

This is my third attempt to install Mingw32 on my FC8 laptop. I had it
installed and
working on FC6, but the upgrade lost it and I had to reinstall. I first
tried the
install script and that failed. I then tried the RPMs and that installed
but did not
work.

I really need to get Mingw32 installed to port an app over to Windozes.
Any help
will be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

William.

On 10/31/2008 02:45, William Estrada wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I downloaded the source files from Sourceforge and compiled and
> installed them.
> The files that did not need compiling I copied to /usr/local/mingw32
> directory.
>
> This is my third attempt to install Mingw32 on my FC8 laptop. I had it
> installed and
> working on FC6, but the upgrade lost it and I had to reinstall. I first
> tried the
> install script and that failed. I then tried the RPMs and that installed
> but did not
> work.
>
> I really need to get Mingw32 installed to port an app over to Windozes.
> Any help
> will be very appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> William.

Ok,
What I meant to say was, how exactly did you compile and install
mingw32-gcc and mingw32-binutils. "mingw32-gcc" calling the native "as"
shows something is not right.

Btw, how did the RPMs and install script fail?

Can you please avoid top posting next time? Thanks.