Quantcast

mingw-get

LM-2
I finally had the opportunity to try out the mingw-get tool at a place of business.  I downloaded and ran mingw-get-inst-20100909.  As I feared, it was unable to install the compiler.  The Internet connection was behind a firewall and I'm wondering if the code that does the retrieval doesn't take that into account.  With Activestate Perl or wget, I set the environment variable http_proxy (similar to set http_proxy=<a href="http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz">http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz) and it works fine behind firewalls.  I tried that with mingw-get, but got an error message.  Is there a way to use mingw-get through a firewall?  Many corporations and educational institutions have some type of protection like this set up by default and won't be willing to take it down just so employees or students can download a compiler.

Here's the output from when I tried to run mingw-get:
Load catalogue: C:\MinGW\var/lib/mingw-get/data/mingw-developer-toolkit.xml
Load catalogue: C:\MinGW\var/lib/mingw-get/data/msys-system-builder.xml
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe: *** ERROR *** Get package: http://prdownloads.source
forge.net/mingw/libgmp-5.0.1-1-mingw32-dll-10.tar.lzma?download: download failed

The other issue someone might have when downloading is if a few of the sourceforge sites are blocked.  At one point, we had the main sourceforge site blocked, but mirror sites were available.  If, for example, someone's using Internet through a laptop at a library and the library blocks the main sourceforge site, the user is out of luck.  School districts often do this as well.

Guess until some way around the issues is found, I'm back to shell scripts with wget and
-e "http_proxy=<a href="http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz">http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz" option.  I sincerely hope we keep the information on how to manually install MinGW and msys updated on the wiki.  I always think it's a shame when some people are denied access to valuable resources because of their circumstances.  Many people are lucky enough to have fast Internet connections and download whatever they want, but some people out there are still using sneaker-net and borrowing an Internet connection when they can or dealing with security issues like firewalls or using Internet access where some sites are blocked by the administrators.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/mingw.htm

Re: mingw-get

Chris Sutcliffe-2
On 12 October 2010 18:48, LM wrote:
> I finally had the opportunity to try out the mingw-get tool at a place of business.  I downloaded
> and ran mingw-get-inst-20100909.  As I feared, it was unable to install the compiler.  The
> Internet connection was behind a firewall and I'm wondering if the code that does the retrieval
> doesn't take that into account.  With Activestate Perl or wget, I set the environment variable
> http_proxy (similar to set http_proxy=<a href="http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz">http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz) and it works fine behind
> firewalls.  I tried that with mingw-get, but got an error message.  Is there a way to use mingw-
> get through a firewall?  Many corporations and educational institutions have some type of
> protection like this set up by default and won't be willing to take it down just so employees or
> students can download a compiler.

I'm able to use mingw-get from behind a corporate firewall with the
addition of a couple of other proxy settings:

set http_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz
set https_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz
set ftp_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz

Hope this helps.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

Re: mingw-get

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 23:48:17 LM wrote:
> I finally had the opportunity to try out the mingw-get tool at a
> place of business.  I downloaded and ran mingw-get-inst-20100909.  As
> I feared, it was unable to install the compiler.  The Internet
> connection was behind a firewall and I'm wondering if the code that
> does the retrieval doesn't take that into account.

If what you really mean is "behind an authenticating proxy", then it
does.  It uses Microsoft's own wininet.dll, with resolution of proxy
settings determined by INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG, so if you have
configured Internet Explorer's proxy settings correctly on the local
host, then it should just work.

OTOH, if you really do mean "behind a firewall", and that is blocking
access to the required internet sites, then you will need to take the
issue up with your system administrator, because that firewall is doing
its job as configured, and there's not a lot mingw-get can do to bypass
it, if it is correctly configured.

> With Activestate
> Perl or wget, I set the environment variable http_proxy (similar to
> set http_proxy=<a href="http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz">http://zz.zzz.zz.zz:zzzz) and it works fine behind
> firewalls.  I tried that with mingw-get, but got an error message.

I too have access from behind an authenticating proxy (squid).  I've
never needed to set any environment variables, to kludge around proxy
settings which aren't inherited from Internet Explorer; mingw-get does
WJFFM, (discounting the occasional transient network glitch).

>  Is there a way to use mingw-get through a firewall?  Many
> corporations and educational institutions have some type of
> protection like this set up by default and won't be willing to take
> it down just so employees or students can download a compiler.

It should work just fine, with a properly configured proxy, when
Internet Explorer is appropriately configured for the user, on the
local host.  It does WJFFM, in precisely this scenario.  Thus, I have
no immediate plans to change it; if you believe you can improve it,
patches will be gratefully considered.

> Here's the output from when I tried to run mingw-get:
> Load catalogue:
> C:\MinGW\var/lib/mingw-get/data/mingw-developer-toolkit.xml Load
> catalogue: C:\MinGW\var/lib/mingw-get/data/msys-system-builder.xml
> C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe: *** ERROR *** Get package:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/
>   libgmp-5.0.1-1-mingw32-dll-10.tar.lzma?download:
> download failed

Were you really only trying to install libgmp-dll?  Or have you elided
more of the diagnostic output than is apparent?  If not, this looks
more like a transient network glitch than a proxy configuration issue.
Making mingw-get more robust, in its handling of such glitches, is one
of the many items on my to-do list.  In respect of this, once again,
patches will be gratefully considered.

Re: mingw-get

LM-2
Tried setting the following before running (where z is replaced with actual numbers):
set http_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz
set https_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz
set ftp_proxy=<a href="http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz">http://zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:zz

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.  It still fails.  I've used wget and Activestate Perl's ppm and have no problems when I set http_proxy.

I'm presuming that libgmp is the first library the install program tries to download.  It fails there and doesn't attempt to try any further.
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe: *** ERROR *** Get package: http://prdownloads.source
forge.net/mingw/libgmp-5.0.1-1-mingw32-dll-10.tar.lzma?download: download failed

To access the Internet using IE 7, in the Internet Options dialog on the Connections tab, I set the LAN Settings to Use automatic configuration script and point it to a pac file on the web.
In Firefox, from the Options menu, network tab, settings, I select Automatic proxy configuration URL: and give it the same information.

I ran a registry search.
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigProxy has value wininet.dll
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigURL has URL same as the one set in IE and Firefox.

Thought there was a post on the mingw-users mailing list a while back asking for test results using mingw-get, so I wanted to share the results from my attempt to use it.  This is the first opportunity I've had to try out the new mingw-get.

Sincerely,
Laura

Re: mingw-get

Keith Marshall
On Friday 15 October 2010 22:05:34 LM wrote:
> I'm presuming that libgmp is the first library the install program
> tries to download.

No, it isn't; it is the second.  Also, before it gets even that far, it
would need to download all the XML manifest files, (unless you are just
using the bundled manifests from Chuck's INNO installer).  In any case,
with a completely pristine sandbox, the first download is the package
mingwrt-3.18-mingw32-dll.tar.gz; is that somehow already in your
var/cache/mingw-get/packages directory?  If so, how did it get there if
mingw-get was unable to download it.

> It fails there and doesn't attempt to try any further.

Strange.  It should keep going, attempting to download all the rest of
the packages tagged; I would expect to see several further diagnostics,
after this one.

> C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe: *** ERROR *** Get package:
> http://prdownloads.source
> forge.net/mingw/libgmp-5.0.1-1-mingw32-dll-10.tar.lzma?download:
> download failed

> Thought there was a post on the mingw-users mailing list a while back
> asking for test results using mingw-get,

There was.

> so I wanted to share the
> results from my attempt to use it.  This is the first opportunity
> I've had to try out the new mingw-get.

I appreciate your feedback, but since I can't reproduce this failure,
I'll need help to debug the issue.  Are you able to offer assistance?

Re: mingw-get

greg
>> The Internet
>> connection was behind a firewall and I'm wondering if the code that
>> does the retrieval doesn't take that into account.

>If what you really mean is "behind an authenticating proxy", then it
>does.  It uses Microsoft's own wininet.dll, with resolution of proxy
>settings determined by INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG, so if you have
>configured Internet Explorer's proxy settings correctly on the local
>host, then it should just work.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I too am behind an authenticating proxy (some MS flavor) and the MingW32 installer's mingw-gets fail.  I can browse the net using IE.

Is there a way to get the installer to work?

Cheers,
Greg

Re: mingw-get

Keith Marshall
On 11/05/11 10:59, greg wrote:

>>> The Internet
>>> connection was behind a firewall and I'm wondering if the code that
>>> does the retrieval doesn't take that into account.
>
>> If what you really mean is "behind an authenticating proxy", then it
>> does.  It uses Microsoft's own wininet.dll, with resolution of proxy
>> settings determined by INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG, so if you have
>> configured Internet Explorer's proxy settings correctly on the local
>> host, then it should just work.
>
> Sorry to bump an old thread, but I too am behind an authenticating proxy

So am I (squid AFAIK)...

> (some MS flavor) and the MingW32 installer's mingw-gets fail.

...yet I have never had the slightest problem with mingw-get, (other
than intermittent network latency problems resulting in the occasional
failure of a small number of packages, all of which were successfully
retrieved on retry).

> I can browse the net using IE.

I guess I can too, but I much prefer Firefox :-)

> Is there a way to get the installer to work?

WJFFM.

What version of mingw-get are you running?  (If you don't know, then run
`mingw-get --version').  If it's anything earlier than 0.2-alpha-3, then
an upgrade may help -- that version included Scott Michel's patch to
solicit authentication credentials when your proxy configuration doesn't
support automatic acquisition.

If that still doesn't work, then I need you to help me debug it; I
simply cannot address an issue which I am unable to reproduce.