make install fails when building libjpeg

make install fails when building libjpeg

DAVENPORT, MARC
Hello,

I recently ran into a problem when trying to use make install with libjpeg. configure and make both work fine, but when I try to run 'make install' then it either halts with "Permission denied" or if I run it as administrator then it crashes with a stackdump.

Here are the messages :

If I run MSYS without administrator privileges install fails with permission denied  :

Marc@DESKTOP-K9C6REG /c/LIBS4814Build/jpeg-6b
$ make install
/bin/install -c cjpeg /c/LIBS4814Distro/bin/cjpeg
make: execvp: /bin/install: Permission denied
make: *** [install] Error 127

If I run MSYS with administrator privileges then install crashes. Here's a screenshot :

https://postimg.org/image/iypnc8dj9/

And here's the stackdump it produces :

MSYS-1.0.18 Build:2012-11-21 22:34
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=0201174E
eax=608F9138 ebx=00000001 ecx=60EA0000 edx=60EA86E4 esi=007F2396 edi=00000000
ebp=0062FEC0 esp=0062FE58 program=us
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
   9186 [main] us 0 handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state (probably corrupted stack)

I'm not sure what to make of all this. I can install libjpeg manually (and that's what I'm doing for now, but I'd prefer it did it itself). Ideas? Is the problem with make, /bin/install, or MSYS? Or is it something I need to do? The install directory is writable, I've been installing there all day.

Re: make install fails when building libjpeg

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:44:59 -0500
>
> I recently ran into a problem when trying to use make install with libjpeg. configure and make both work fine,
> but when I try to run 'make install' then it either halts with "Permission denied" or if I run it as administrator then
> it crashes with a stackdump.

Did you try installing into a directory that is not on drive C:?

In general, you should install only into directories of which your
user is the owner, otherwise all kinds of weirdo problems could bite
you.

On Aug 11, 2016 11:43 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:44:59 -0500
> >
> > I recently ran into a problem when trying to use make install with libjpeg. configure and make both work fine,
> > but when I try to run 'make install' then it either halts with "Permission denied" or if I run it as administrator then
> > it crashes with a stackdump.
>
> Did you try installing into a directory that is not on drive C:?
>
> In general, you should install only into directories of which your
> user is the owner, otherwise all kinds of weirdo problems could bite
> you.
It does the same for drive E:/. Also note that I've been installing there (C:/) all day long in the same directory.

Re: make install fails when building libjpeg

DAVENPORT, MARC
I saw on the mailing list there was a previous problem similar to mine on Vista with needing admin privileges and a manifest file to fix Vista's security heuristic so I should also note that I am running MSYS Core 1.0.18 and have the msys-coreutils 5.97-3-msys-1.0.13 package installed. I'm attempting to build libjpeg version 6b on Windows 10 with MinGW 4.8.1 and 5.3.0.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM, DAVENPORT, MARC <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 11, 2016 11:43 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:44:59 -0500
> >
> > I recently ran into a problem when trying to use make install with libjpeg. configure and make both work fine,
> > but when I try to run 'make install' then it either halts with "Permission denied" or if I run it as administrator then
> > it crashes with a stackdump.
>
> Did you try installing into a directory that is not on drive C:?
>
> In general, you should install only into directories of which your
> user is the owner, otherwise all kinds of weirdo problems could bite
> you.
It does the same for drive E:/. Also note that I've been installing there (C:/) all day long in the same directory.

Re: make install fails when building libjpeg

DAVENPORT, MARC
Okay. It was actually all my fault.

Originally I was running mingw32-make to try and install libjpeg. I was getting an error because it couldn't find /bin/install. So I tried to "fix" it by copying /bin/install.exe to /bin/install. So now when I tried to install libjpeg with make install it said permission denied (because it was actually an exe, and not a real shell program). So it was my fault for using a "fix" that didn't work.

Sorry for all the confusion.

libjpeg still doesn't install it's headers properly though, which is their fault.

So I'm going to try and install libjpeg-turbo. But that fails because I don't have nasm installed. But I can't install that because the local coffee house SonicWall thinks the nasm installer is a trojan. My problems never seem to end.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM, DAVENPORT, MARC <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw on the mailing list there was a previous problem similar to mine on Vista with needing admin privileges and a manifest file to fix Vista's security heuristic so I should also note that I am running MSYS Core 1.0.18 and have the msys-coreutils 5.97-3-msys-1.0.13 package installed. I'm attempting to build libjpeg version 6b on Windows 10 with MinGW 4.8.1 and 5.3.0.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM, DAVENPORT, MARC <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 11, 2016 11:43 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:44:59 -0500
> >
> > I recently ran into a problem when trying to use make install with libjpeg. configure and make both work fine,
> > but when I try to run 'make install' then it either halts with "Permission denied" or if I run it as administrator then
> > it crashes with a stackdump.
>
> Did you try installing into a directory that is not on drive C:?
>
> In general, you should install only into directories of which your
> user is the owner, otherwise all kinds of weirdo problems could bite
> you.
It does the same for drive E:/. Also note that I've been installing there (C:/) all day long in the same directory.

Re: make install fails when building libjpeg

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 13:04:19 -0500
>
> libjpeg still doesn't install it's headers properly though, which is their fault.

Which version of libjpeg?  According to my notes, jpeg-9a did install
correctly.

On Aug 11, 2016 2:47 PM, "Eli Zaretskii" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 13:04:19 -0500
> >
> > libjpeg still doesn't install it's headers properly though, which is their fault.
>
> Which version of libjpeg?  According to my notes, jpeg-9a did install
> correctly.

jpeg 6b. That is the version available from the libjpeg website. However I have nasm installed now and I built libjpeg-turbo successfully so I don't need it.

Re: make install fails when building libjpeg

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "DAVENPORT, MARC" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 14:58:48 -0500
>
> > > libjpeg still doesn't install it's headers properly though, which is their fault.
> >
> > Which version of libjpeg? According to my notes, jpeg-9a did install
> > correctly.
>
> jpeg 6b. That is the version available from the libjpeg website. However I have nasm installed now and I built
> libjpeg-turbo successfully so I don't need it.

Well, 6b is quite old, so there's no surprise it has bugs.  Just use
the latest.