ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

12

ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
Hi,

I've searched all mingw mailing lists and I didn't find the same
problem. I'm trying to compile the latest SVN tree of MPlayer under
MinGW/MSYS/Windows 7. The tree compiles, but the linking takes forever
(I left it for hours when it should take 4-5 seconds) and never
finishes. This happens *only* on Windows 7. The same tree links for 5
seconds under Windows XP in VMware on the same machine. Fresh install
of Windows 7 in VMware (to rule out interfering programs on my
installation) exhibits the same problem!

How to reproduce? Pretty easy.
1) Install the latest MSYS+MinGW
2) Download the latest MPlayer SVN tree: svn checkout
svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
3) ./configure --yasm=''
4) make

This *has* to be done under Windows 7. XP is fine.

I've installed MSYS/MinGW from mingw-get-inst-20101030.exe. In my case
I used the 20101030 snapshot during the installation, but using latest
packages doesn't make any difference. The most striking thing - I had
an old MSYS/MinGW environment from 1 year ago with GCC 3.4.5. The same
thing happens!

I've explained the problem in great, great detail in this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/58257

I won't repeat the same information here, as you can see every
possible details and issues from the short thread above. I started to
analyze it and made some progress, which might be of help to you.

After 4 days trying, I think that fixing this bug is beyond my
abilities, as you'll see that I've tried everything I could think of
without touching the actual code. As I'm starting development of a
very important MPlayer feature and compiling the tree under Windows 7
is of vital importance.

I'll be glad if we can work together on fixing this frustrating issue!

Greetings,
Georgi

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=D:\Programs\mingw\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=d:/programs/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: ../gcc-4.5.0/configure
--enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,objc,obj-c++
--disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 --enable-shared
--enable-libgomp --disable-win32-registry --enable-libstdcxx-debug
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --disable-werror
--build=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.5.0 (GCC)

$ ld -v
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100613

$ uname -a
MINGW32_NT-6.1 GOGO-PC 1.0.16(0.48/3/2) 2010-09-29 00:07 i686 Msys

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

xunxun
May you show your ld errors?
Did you try a simple program compiling and linking on Win7?

于 2010/11/29 22:21, Georgi Petrov 写道:

> Hi,
>
> I've searched all mingw mailing lists and I didn't find the same
> problem. I'm trying to compile the latest SVN tree of MPlayer under
> MinGW/MSYS/Windows 7. The tree compiles, but the linking takes forever
> (I left it for hours when it should take 4-5 seconds) and never
> finishes. This happens *only* on Windows 7. The same tree links for 5
> seconds under Windows XP in VMware on the same machine. Fresh install
> of Windows 7 in VMware (to rule out interfering programs on my
> installation) exhibits the same problem!
>
> How to reproduce? Pretty easy.
> 1) Install the latest MSYS+MinGW
> 2) Download the latest MPlayer SVN tree: svn checkout
> svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> 3) ./configure --yasm=''
> 4) make
>
> This *has* to be done under Windows 7. XP is fine.
>
> I've installed MSYS/MinGW from mingw-get-inst-20101030.exe. In my case
> I used the 20101030 snapshot during the installation, but using latest
> packages doesn't make any difference. The most striking thing - I had
> an old MSYS/MinGW environment from 1 year ago with GCC 3.4.5. The same
> thing happens!
>
> I've explained the problem in great, great detail in this thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/58257
>
> I won't repeat the same information here, as you can see every
> possible details and issues from the short thread above. I started to
> analyze it and made some progress, which might be of help to you.
>
> After 4 days trying, I think that fixing this bug is beyond my
> abilities, as you'll see that I've tried everything I could think of
> without touching the actual code. As I'm starting development of a
> very important MPlayer feature and compiling the tree under Windows 7
> is of vital importance.
>
> I'll be glad if we can work together on fixing this frustrating issue!
>
> Greetings,
> Georgi
>
> $ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> COLLECT_GCC=D:\Programs\mingw\bin\gcc.exe
> COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=d:/programs/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/lto-wrapper.exe
> Target: mingw32
> Configured with: ../gcc-4.5.0/configure
> --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,objc,obj-c++
> --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 --enable-shared
> --enable-libgomp --disable-win32-registry --enable-libstdcxx-debug
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --disable-werror
> --build=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw
> Thread model: win32
> gcc version 4.5.0 (GCC)
>
> $ ld -v
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100613
>
> $ uname -a
> MINGW32_NT-6.1 GOGO-PC 1.0.16(0.48/3/2) 2010-09-29 00:07 i686 Msys

Regards
PcX

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:56 PM, PcX <[hidden email]> wrote:
> May you show your ld errors?
> Did you try a simple program compiling and linking on Win7?

Compiling a simple program works.

When MPlayer is being linked, there are no errors from ld.exe. It just
sits and does nothing. If you are referring to the linking errors I
talk about in the MPlayer mailing list, they are because I've removed
several object files.

The bottom line is that when too many object files are given in the
final linking statement, the bug is triggered. If I start removing
object files, at one point ld.exe exists with error about unresolved
symbols, which is quite logical.

As such, I don't think that providing any output will be meaningful.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Peter Rockett
Just a thought: Could you isolate which object file(s) are causing
problems by building groups of .o files into (static) libraries?

P.

On 29/11/10 15:43, Georgi Petrov wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:56 PM, PcX<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> May you show your ld errors?
>> Did you try a simple program compiling and linking on Win7?
>>
> Compiling a simple program works.
>
> When MPlayer is being linked, there are no errors from ld.exe. It just
> sits and does nothing. If you are referring to the linking errors I
> talk about in the MPlayer mailing list, they are because I've removed
> several object files.
>
> The bottom line is that when too many object files are given in the
> final linking statement, the bug is triggered. If I start removing
> object files, at one point ld.exe exists with error about unresolved
> symbols, which is quite logical.
>
> As such, I don't think that providing any output will be meaningful.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Peter Rockett
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a thought: Could you isolate which object file(s) are causing
> problems by building groups of .o files into (static) libraries?

That's my point from MPlayer's thread - there are no particular object
files, which cause the problem. The problem is caused because too much
code must be compiled into the final binary (too many object files
must be linked together).

In other words - if I remove the 2 largest static libraries, ld.exe
doesn't hang anymore, but exits with errors as expected. If I start
cutting object code size from smaller object files, I should remove
many of them to make ld.exe exit with an error message and don't hang
anymore.

In other words - I can't really isolate the problem, because the
problem is size-based.

If you want, I could make an archive with all object files and put it
on my FTP server together with a simple runme.sh, which tries to link
them into the final binary. This way the problem will be reproducible
by everybody, who downloads the archive and tries to link the final
.exe.

Do you think this will help?

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Earnie Boyd
Georgi Petrov wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Peter Rockett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a thought: Could you isolate which object file(s) are causing
>> problems by building groups of .o files into (static) libraries?
>>

> That's my point from MPlayer's thread - there are no particular object
> files, which cause the problem. The problem is caused because too much
> code must be compiled into the final binary (too many object files
> must be linked together).

Peter is trying to tell you to use the ar command to build a library
file of the "too many object files must be linked together" and then use
that file to link with.

> In other words - if I remove the 2 largest static libraries, ld.exe
> doesn't hang anymore, but exits with errors as expected. If I start
> cutting object code size from smaller object files, I should remove
> many of them to make ld.exe exit with an error message and don't hang
> anymore.

Yea, well, it doesn't get to the point of building the binary.

> In other words - I can't really isolate the problem, because the
> problem is size-based.

If the problem is the output of ld and not the input then the above
solution won't help either.  You'll then need to find a way to reduce
the object files sizes such as removing the debugging information.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
> Peter is trying to tell you to use the ar command to build a library
> file of the "too many object files must be linked together" and then use
> that file to link with.

Yes, I understood. Tomorrow I'll try and will report the result.
However, common sense tells me that the problem won't go away, because
the same amount of code will have to be linked together anyway.

> If the problem is the output of ld and not the input then the above
> solution won't help either.

That's what I'm thinking, but I will try and report.

> You'll then need to find a way to reduce
> the object files sizes such as removing the debugging information.

No. We will have to find the bug and fix it. The point of this thread
is ultimately fixing the issue and not trying to work around it.

I've already tried removing debugging information, compiling only the
essential functionality and anything I could think of. It failed.

Now I'm trying to use another linker (Open Watcom).

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
Ok, I'm giving up. 1 week was enough. More than 30 hours with this
issue and not even a single percent success.

A friend of mine with Windows 7 x64 compiles and links the tree just
fine. I thought that Windows 7 x64 may be the final answer. I
installed it in VMware and linking failed. Next - my friend tried my
VMware image with 32 bit Windows 7 and the compilation failed on his
machine (having in mind that on his native Windows 7 x64 it
succeeded)... We both don't have any explanation. This is insane!!!

I tried to aggregate all object files into a static library and to
link it along with other static libraries... You can guess the result.

After another 4 hours spent with Open Watcom's linker, which
complained about a ton of things and finally after reading the
by-alien-written user's manual, gave me an .exe file, which crashes on
startup... That's enough.

ld.exe from the U++ project, which was a drop-in replacement, supposed
to fix a similar problem from 2006 produced another mplayer.exe, which
crashes.

Trying to compile older ld from older binutils under MinGW proved
another bloody mistake.

I don't have enough desire for experimenting with IBM's linker, given
the pain I went through with the Witcom's one. Since almost nobody
seems to be interested in compiling MPlayer on Windows 7, I'm a
minority without any chance of finding a similar soul.

I'm starting DxVA development from tomorrow by linking on VMware + XP,
running in the background just for ld.exe :(

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Bidski
Hello Georgi,

I just followed your instructions on how to build mplayer

1) Install the latest MSYS+MinGW (already had it installed. Im using
TDM64-GCC-4.5.1 and the latest version of MSYS that is on the mingw-w64
sourceforge website)
2) Download the latest MPlayer SVN tree: svn checkout
svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer (done, but added a svn update
afterwards just to be doubly sure)
3) ./configure --yasm='' (done, no noticeable errors)
4) make (done, no noticeable errors)

It took me maybe all of 20 minutes to complete the whole thing. Im
wondering, on your failed builds what is the average size of your object
files? I ran into a similar (similar in the respect that ld "hanged")
problem nearly a year ago with GCC-4.5.0 when I was trying to build
wxWidgets and ld failed because it exhausted it supply of memory (2GB+), I
solved this problem by going to the TDM builds of GCC. My build of mplayer
has 1,049 object files totalling just over 11MB, is yours the same? Is the
problem I just described similar in any way to the one you are experiencing?

Im running on Windows 7 64 bit

Regards
Bidski

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Bidski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Georgi,
>
> I just followed your instructions on how to build mplayer
>
> 1) Install the latest MSYS+MinGW (already had it installed. Im using
> TDM64-GCC-4.5.1 and the latest version of MSYS that is on the mingw-w64
> sourceforge website)
> 2) Download the latest MPlayer SVN tree: svn checkout
> svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer (done, but added a svn update
> afterwards just to be doubly sure)
> 3) ./configure --yasm='' (done, no noticeable errors)
> 4) make (done, no noticeable errors)

Hello Bidski,

Thank you for trying. As I have Windows 7 64 bit in VMware, I did the
exact same thing as you: I used TDM64-GCC-4.5.1 and latest MSYS.

ld.exe hangs.

The strangest thing is that the issue dependent on some variable I
can't rule out. The very same tree compiles on my friend's Windows 7
64 bit, but on my VMware Windows 7 64 bit it fails.

On the other side both our machines hang trying to compile it inside
VMware Windows 7 32 bit...

> It took me maybe all of 20 minutes to complete the whole thing. Im
> wondering, on your failed builds what is the average size of your object
> files?

.o files: 1146 files, 12.2MB
.a files: 6 files, 7.33MB

> I ran into a similar (similar in the respect that ld "hanged")
> problem nearly a year ago with GCC-4.5.0 when I was trying to build
> wxWidgets and ld failed because it exhausted it supply of memory (2GB+),

I'm constantly reading mail list threads about people with similar
problems, but the solutions and problems themselves are different.
They mostly complain about bigger C++ projects. In my case ld.exe
takes 20MB RAM and this is far away from any imaginable limit.

> solved this problem by going to the TDM builds of GCC.

In my case TDM builds don't help. Neither 32, nor 64 bit. BTW, why
TDM64 builds feature 32 bit toolchain? I was hoping to see 64 bit
gcc.exe, ld.exe and so on, but they are 32 bit...

> My build of mplayer
> has 1,049 object files totalling just over 11MB, is yours the same?

1146 files, but under mingw32 and 32 bit Windows 7. 12,2 MB.

> Is the
> problem I just described similar in any way to the one you are experiencing?

No. In my case ld.exe's memory usage stays under 20MB. The strange
thing is that in the VM it takes 99% CPU usage and on my native system
it stays close to 0%.

> Im running on Windows 7 64 bit

On my "native" Windows 7 32 bit all possible combinations fail. The
same could be said about Windows 7 64 bit in VMware. In the other side
XP in VMware linkes MPlayer just fine.

Regards,
Georgi

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Eran Ifrah
Hi Georgi,

I experienced similar issues when building wxWidgets using GCC4.5.X -
eventually I ended up downgrading back to GCC4.4.1 and it seems to
work out of the box for me.

You might want to try GCC4.4.1 (there is one bundled with codelite
here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelite/files/Releases/codelite-2.8/codelite-2.8.0.4537-mingw4.4.1.exe/download)

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Georgi Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Bidski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Georgi,
>>
>> I just followed your instructions on how to build mplayer
>>
>> 1) Install the latest MSYS+MinGW (already had it installed. Im using
>> TDM64-GCC-4.5.1 and the latest version of MSYS that is on the mingw-w64
>> sourceforge website)
>> 2) Download the latest MPlayer SVN tree: svn checkout
>> svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer (done, but added a svn update
>> afterwards just to be doubly sure)
>> 3) ./configure --yasm='' (done, no noticeable errors)
>> 4) make (done, no noticeable errors)
>
> Hello Bidski,
>
> Thank you for trying. As I have Windows 7 64 bit in VMware, I did the
> exact same thing as you: I used TDM64-GCC-4.5.1 and latest MSYS.
>
> ld.exe hangs.
>
> The strangest thing is that the issue dependent on some variable I
> can't rule out. The very same tree compiles on my friend's Windows 7
> 64 bit, but on my VMware Windows 7 64 bit it fails.
>
> On the other side both our machines hang trying to compile it inside
> VMware Windows 7 32 bit...
>
>> It took me maybe all of 20 minutes to complete the whole thing. Im
>> wondering, on your failed builds what is the average size of your object
>> files?
>
> .o files: 1146 files, 12.2MB
> .a files: 6 files, 7.33MB
>
>> I ran into a similar (similar in the respect that ld "hanged")
>> problem nearly a year ago with GCC-4.5.0 when I was trying to build
>> wxWidgets and ld failed because it exhausted it supply of memory (2GB+),
>
> I'm constantly reading mail list threads about people with similar
> problems, but the solutions and problems themselves are different.
> They mostly complain about bigger C++ projects. In my case ld.exe
> takes 20MB RAM and this is far away from any imaginable limit.
>
>> solved this problem by going to the TDM builds of GCC.
>
> In my case TDM builds don't help. Neither 32, nor 64 bit. BTW, why
> TDM64 builds feature 32 bit toolchain? I was hoping to see 64 bit
> gcc.exe, ld.exe and so on, but they are 32 bit...
>
>> My build of mplayer
>> has 1,049 object files totalling just over 11MB, is yours the same?
>
> 1146 files, but under mingw32 and 32 bit Windows 7. 12,2 MB.
>

>> Is the
>> problem I just described similar in any way to the one you are experiencing?
>
> No. In my case ld.exe's memory usage stays under 20MB. The strange
> thing is that in the VM it takes 99% CPU usage and on my native system
> it stays close to 0%.
>

>> Im running on Windows 7 64 bit
>
> On my "native" Windows 7 32 bit all possible combinations fail. The
> same could be said about Windows 7 64 bit in VMware. In the other side
> XP in VMware linkes MPlayer just fine.
>
> Regards,
> Georgi

Eran Ifrah
Cross platform, open source C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Eran Ifrah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Georgi,
>
> I experienced similar issues when building wxWidgets using GCC4.5.X -
> eventually I ended up downgrading back to GCC4.4.1 and it seems to
> work out of the box for me.
>
> You might want to try GCC4.4.1 (there is one bundled with codelite
> here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelite/files/Releases/codelite-

Hi Eran,

I tried, but ld.exe hangs again. I'm stunned. I've tried no less than
5-6 different builds of binutils + gcc and I can't find any one that
leads to success here. The most striking thing is that it is clearly a
function of the hardware configuration as well, because a friend of
mine with a fairly similar computer compiles the tree under Windows 7
64 bit....

Interfering programs are rules out, because fresh Windows
installations in VMware hang as well.

Any ideas what else could be responsible for the problem?

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Geir Meyer
Hi,

> Any ideas what else could be responsible for the problem?

Sorry, no, but since it is ld.exe that hangs, should it not be possible to build a debug version of ld.exe from source,
and see what really happens by using gdb ?

Geir

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

d3x0r
watcom demands that you compile with the correct build target type
flags - like -bd or -bw otherwise it doesn't work right at all...

Geir Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Any ideas what else could be responsible for the problem?
>
> Sorry, no, but since it is ld.exe that hangs, should it not be possible to build a debug version of ld.exe from source,
> and see what really happens by using gdb ?

System memory issue?  Run the CMOS memory diagnostics to find out.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Geir Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Any ideas what else could be responsible for the problem?
>
> Sorry, no, but since it is ld.exe that hangs, should it not be possible to build a debug version of ld.exe from source,
> and see what really happens by using gdb ?

Hi,

Yes, it is possible. As I have to start developing for my project,
initially I will link in XP in VMware. After few days I will have some
time and I will investigate this issue further.

I'm willing to help, which means compiling ld.exe with debug
information and tracing the difference in execution on my computer and
the computer of my friend (where it linked just okay).

I will need some help from you, since I don't really understand
ld.exe's internals, but at least I will point the function or code
chunk where the problems happens.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM, J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> watcom demands that you compile with the correct build target type
> flags - like -bd or -bw otherwise it doesn't work right at all...

I spent so much time with this linker and I had so many issues, that
I'm not willing to continue trying. However, thanks for pointing out
that it can be used to link GCC generated code. I wasn't aware,
because I never used anything else than ld.

> System memory issue?  Run the CMOS memory diagnostics to find out.

Tonight I will leave memtest86+ to test my system memory, but this
seems very, very unlikely. I don't remember having an OS crash for
months and I don't restart the OS for weeks. If I had any memory
problems, I would have noticed. However, I will surely run memtest86+.

Also the same linking problem occurs on my friend's machine using my
Windows 7 32 bit VMware image, so my hardware is ruled out.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

John Brown

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:41:12 +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Geir Meyer  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Any ideas what else could be responsible for the problem?
>>
>> Sorry, no, but since it is ld.exe that hangs, should it not be possible to build a debug version of ld.exe from source,
>> and see what really happens by using gdb ?
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it is possible. As I have to start developing for my project,
> initially I will link in XP in VMware. After few days I will have some
> time and I will investigate this issue further.
[snip]

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM, J Decker  wrote:
>> watcom demands that you compile with the correct build target type
>> flags - like -bd or -bw otherwise it doesn't work right at all...
>>

> I spent so much time with this linker and I had so many issues, that
> I'm not willing to continue trying. However, thanks for pointing out
> that it can be used to link GCC generated code. I wasn't aware,
> because I never used anything else than ld.
>

>> System memory issue?  Run the CMOS memory diagnostics to find out.
>>

> Tonight I will leave memtest86+ to test my system memory, but this
> seems very, very unlikely. I don't remember having an OS crash for
> months and I don't restart the OS for weeks. If I had any memory
> problems, I would have noticed. However, I will surely run memtest86+.
>
> Also the same linking problem occurs on my friend's machine using my
> Windows 7 32 bit VMware image, so my hardware is ruled out.

Have you tried ProcMon? That woud be another way to find out what ldis doing when it hangs. I assume that you have already eliminated youranti-virus.
Regards,Alias John Brown.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
> Have you tried ProcMon? That woud be another way to find out what ldis doing when it hangs. I assume that you have already eliminated youranti-virus.
> Regards,Alias John Brown.

My hardware is ruled out. memtest86+ showed no errors.

I know about ProcMon and will used it additionally when I report what
I've found. Yes, anti-virus was ruled out early in the test process so
far.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Greg Chicares
On 2010-12-04 08:51Z, Georgi Petrov wrote:

> [...] Yes, anti-virus was ruled out early in the test process so far.

Did you uninstall all "security" software completely, as opposed
to just disabling it? Cygwin experience
  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
indicates that disabling it may be insufficient. That page also
lists other known offenders such as logitech's webcam software.

Re: ld.exe hangs *only* on Windows 7, XP is fine

Georgi Petrov
> Did you uninstall all "security" software completely, as opposed
> to just disabling it? Cygwin experience
>  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
> indicates that disabling it may be insufficient. That page also
> lists other known offenders such as logitech's webcam software.

Thanks for this list. Yes, I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials
and didn't just disable it. I know that a kernel module and/or some
hooks may be still operational when the AV is only disabled.

I don't have any software from the list installed on my system.
Besides, a clean Windows 7 in VMware doesn't suffer from those things
and linking still fails inside as well.

I have a strange idea. Since VMware uses paravirtualization and the
virtualized HW isn't 100% "emulated", I will setup a Bochs VM, which
is supposed to create 100% genuine host-specifics-free environment. I
will report the results tomorrow :)

I'm doing this, because I need a clear distinction between a
successful and failed linking. I have the XP vs 7 case, but I would
like to have 7 vs 7 case with a failure and success. Any possible
variables should be ruled out :)

12