help compiling

SHIFT838

I have received a new version of tcpser that needs to be compiled.  This version resolves certain issues that I was having and I need to make sure it works on windows.  I have had no issue getting it compiled on the Raspberry Pi, but on windows I am at a loss.

I have installed MinGW but I am sure I have to make various edits to all the files.

I get errors for instance where it says it cannot find that path for sys/param.h

I know this is a linux path, but not sure what I need to replace for a Windows system.

Is there any reference for all the files than linux would call with the windows equivalents.

I have attached what I am trying to compile.

When I issue the below from the i:\tcpser-ms directory

I:\tcpser-ms>make -f mymake.win32

I get:

gcc -O  -Wall -DWIN32   -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c

process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, gcc -O -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c, ...) failed.

make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

make: *** [i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o] Error 2

I am lost on this one.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: help compiling

Emanuel Falkenauer
Hi,

If I were you, I would
- comment out the #include that triggered the "file not found"
- try to recompile - the omitted #include(s) will most probably yield undefined symbols, so
- find those symbols by scanning MinGW's headers
- replace the #includes commented out by #includes of the MinGW's headers that define the undefined symbols.
It's sometimes a painful process, but has a silver lining: you will only need to do once.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Btw I didn't get any attachment with your sources.

On 17-Dec-16 00:21, SHIFT838 wrote:

[...]

Also: [hidden email]

Re: help compiling

> From: "SHIFT838" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:21:35 -0600
>
> I:\tcpser-ms>make -f mymake.win32
>
> I get:
>
> gcc -O -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c
>
> process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, gcc -O -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o
> i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c, ...) failed.
>
> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> make: *** [i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o] Error 2
>
> I am lost on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This means Make couldn't find gcc.exe, the GCC compiler executable.
You have some basic installation problem, like maybe the directory
where you have gcc.exe is not on PATH or something like that.

I suggest to begin by making sure you can compile a simple "hello
world" C program, and only after that try building complex packages.

Re: help compiling

And Notachance
when I build slashem I have a bat file (txt file renamed to .bat)

like this for a plain build:

PATH=c:\mingw\bin
cd src
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc install

(src directory is where the Makefile.gcc is located)

and full build is like this:

PATH=c:\mingw\bin
cd src
mingw32-make -B makefile.gcc install

and dump error build only is like this:

PATH=c:\mingw\bin
cd src
mingw32-make -B makefile.gcc install>out.txt 2>&1

I hope this helps.

On Fri, 12/16/16, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] help compiling
 To: [hidden email]
 Cc: [hidden email]
 Date: Friday, December 16, 2016, 11:54 PM

 > From:
 "SHIFT838" <[hidden email]>
 > Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:21:35 -0600
 >
 > I:\tcpser-ms>make
 -f mymake.win32

 get:

 > gcc -O -Wall
 -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o
 i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c

 > process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, gcc -O
 -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o
 > i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c, ...)
 failed.

 > make
 (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

 > make: ***
 [i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o] Error 2

 > I am lost on this one. Any help would
 be greatly appreciated

 This
 means Make couldn't find gcc.exe, the GCC compiler
 executable.
 You have some basic installation
 problem, like maybe the directory
 where you
 have gcc.exe is not on PATH or something like that.

 I suggest to begin by making
 sure you can compile a simple "hello
 world" C program, and only after that try
 building complex packages.

 This list observes the
 Etiquette found at
 Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to
 be moderated.

Re: help compiling

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 04:49:46 +0000 (UTC)
> From: And Notachance <[hidden email]>
>
> when I build slashem I have a bat file (txt file renamed to .bat)
>
> like this for a plain build:
>
> PATH=c:\mingw\bin
> cd src
> mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc install
>
> (src directory is where the Makefile.gcc is located)
>
> and full build is like this:
>
> PATH=c:\mingw\bin
> cd src
> mingw32-make -B makefile.gcc install
>
> and dump error build only is like this:
>
> PATH=c:\mingw\bin
> cd src
> mingw32-make -B makefile.gcc install>out.txt 2>&1
>
> I hope this helps.

Not really.

The error message you cite means that mingw32-make cannot find
gcc.exe.  Where is gcc.exe located on your system?

> PATH=c:\mingw\bin

This is a bad idea: you are removing from PATH all the directories
Windows itself needs to work properly.  Instead, do this:

  setlocal
  PATH=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%

which will _add_ to the existing PATH, and do that only for as long as
the batch file runs.

Re: help compiling

SHIFT838
Thank all for all the advice.  Between Eli Z. and Emanuel F. they gave me
some good comments which steered me in the right direction.

My issue was that GCC was not installed properly.  It did not help matters
that I had absolutely no experience with GCC.  I found a step by step
article to install it correctly with CygWin and I now have a working
compiled version of the latest tcpser for windows 32bit and 64bit.  This
source is dated 7/7/2016.

Works Great.

Thanks guys!

> gcc -O -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o
> i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c
>
> process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, gcc -O -Wall -DWIN32 -c -o
> i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.c, ...) failed.
>
> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> make: *** [i:\tcpser-ms\winsrc\bridge.o] Error 2
>
> I am lost on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This means Make couldn't find gcc.exe, the GCC compiler executable.
You have some basic installation problem, like maybe the directory where you
have gcc.exe is not on PATH or something like that.

I suggest to begin by making sure you can compile a simple "hello world" C
program, and only after that try building complex packages.

Re: help compiling

Earnie Boyd
On 12/21/2016 1:47 AM, SHIFT838 wrote:
> Thank all for all the advice.  Between Eli Z. and Emanuel F. they gave me
> some good comments which steered me in the right direction.
>
> My issue was that GCC was not installed properly.  It did not help matters
> that I had absolutely no experience with GCC.  I found a step by step
> article to install it correctly with CygWin and I now have a working
> compiled version of the latest tcpser for windows 32bit and 64bit.  This
> source is dated 7/7/2016.

Which now you do not have a native application.  The application is now
dependent on cygwin1.dll and if you distribute your application built
with Cygwin gcc you will need to also distribute the cygwin1.dll and
make available for distribution the source code for the cygwin1.dll.  Is
this what you want?

> Works Great.

Until it doesn't! ;p

> Thanks guys!

Please consider the etiquette of this list and do not top post.

Re: help compiling

Emanuel Falkenauer
While I may consider his "punchline" unhelpful and bordering on
offensive, Earnie does have a point. I have a perfectly functioning
MinGW in native Windows - maybe I missed an important point, but why
would you build in cygwin?