heads up: proposal to remove MinGW as secondary platform in GCC

heads up: proposal to remove MinGW as secondary platform in GCC

Nathan Ridge
Thought you guys might want to be aware of this and perhaps
respond:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-05/msg00000.html

Regards,
Nate

Re: heads up: proposal to remove MinGW as secondary platform in GCC

Cesar Strauss
On 05/01/2014 02:57 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:
> Thought you guys might want to be aware of this and perhaps respond:

The message says:

> Since the original MinGW refuses to support 64-bit, I would like to
> discuss whether we should remove i686-mingw32 from the secondary
> platforms list and replace it with MinGW-w64.

My proposed response follows. I think I got the facts right, but please
correct me if I'm wrong:

The MinGW project does not refuses to support 64-bit. As always, patches
are welcome. The criteria for accepting patches is documented at
http://mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches. Of particular importance is "We
only accept patches based on publicly available documentation". This is
important, because the Microsoft runtime C headers are available under a
restrictive license, and we cannot risk having portions of copyrighted
material in our headers.

Once, the MinGW project did receive patches for 64-bit support. However,
the patch was created by a internal clean-room approach in which the
generated documentation was never published, or made available.

Regarding the removal of i686-mingw32 as a secondary platform, I found
no published test results newer than 2011. This didn't prevent GCC 4.9.0
being released in 2014. So, in practice, i686-mingw32 is not an actual
secondary platform right now.

Regards,

Cesar

Re: heads up: proposal to remove MinGW as secondary platform in GCC

David Gressett
Cesar Strauss wrote:

>On 05/01/2014 02:57 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:
>> Thought you guys might want to be aware of this and perhaps respond:
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-05/msg00000.html

The message says:

> Since the original MinGW refuses to support 64-bit, I would like to
> discuss whether we should remove i686-mingw32 from the secondary
> platforms list and replace it with MinGW-w64.

>My proposed response follows. I think I got the facts right, but please
>correct me if I'm wrong:

>The MinGW project does not refuses to support 64-bit. As always, patches
>are welcome. The criteria for accepting patches is documented at
>http://mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches. Of particular importance is "We
>only accept patches based on publicly available documentation". This is
>important, because the Microsoft runtime C headers are available under a
>restrictive license, and we cannot risk having portions of copyrighted
>material in our headers.

>Once, the MinGW project did receive patches for 64-bit support. However,
>the patch was created by a internal clean-room approach in which the
>generated documentation was never published, or made available.

>Regarding the removal of i686-mingw32 as a secondary platform, I found
>no published test results newer than 2011. This didn't prevent GCC 4.9.0
>being released in 2014. So, in practice, i686-mingw32 is not an actual
>secondary platform right now.

>Regards,

>Cesar

I'm being a bit picky here, but " and we cannot risk having portions of
*unlicensed* copyrighted materials " might be better wording, as the
publicly available Microsoft documentation is copyrighted, but made usable
under the terms of a license.