gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

David Gressett
I updated my compiler collection to the gcc 4.7.2 and found that gnatdll.exe is missing. This would normally be built when the compiler is built. It can't be built separately from the compiler build because part of the source code for it is generated on the fly when the Ada compiler is built. I didn't look for gnatdll.exe before I did the upgrade, so I don't know if it was missing before I did the upgrade.

Is there some reason why this is not included, or was it just an glitch that has gone unnoticed becuse there aren't very many Ada users?

Re: gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

Earnie Boyd
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM, David Gressett wrote:
> I updated my compiler collection to the gcc 4.7.2 and found that gnatdll.exe is missing. This would normally be built when the compiler is built. It can't be built separately from the compiler build because part of the source code for it is generated on the fly when the Ada compiler is built. I didn't look for gnatdll.exe before I did the upgrade, so I don't know if it was missing before I did the upgrade.
>
> Is there some reason why this is not included, or was it just an glitch that has gone unnoticed because there aren't very many Ada users?

What does the following command show?

mingw-get show mingw32-libgnat-dll

If you get something like, "Installed Version: none" then install it.
If it is out-of-date then upgrade it.

mingw-get install mingw32-libgnat
mingw-get upgrade mingw32-libgnat

Re: gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

David Gressett

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM, David Gressett wrote:
> I updated my compiler collection to the gcc 4.7.2 and found that gnatdll.exe is missing. This would normally be built when the compiler is built. It can't be built separately from the compiler build because part of the source code for it is generated on the fly when the Ada compiler is built. I didn't look for gnatdll.exe before I did the upgrade, so I don't know if it was missing before I did the upgrade.
>
> Is there some reason why this is not included, or was it just an glitch that has gone unnoticed because there aren't very many Ada users?

What does the following command show?

mingw-get show mingw32-libgnat-dll

If you get something like, "Installed Version: none" then install it.
If it is out-of-date then upgrade it.

mingw-get install mingw32-libgnat
mingw-get upgrade mingw32-libgnat

I get this:
Installed Version:  libgnat-4.7.2-1-mingw32-dll-4_7.tar.lzma
Repository Version: libgnat-4.7.2-1-mingw32-dll-4_7.tar.lzma

In the test version of the graphics-mode MinGW Installation Manager that I am using, I can see mingw32-libgnat,
which shows as up-to-date,  but mingw32-libgnat-dll does not appear at all. Everything that has 4.7.2-1 in the Repository Version column also shows as being installed with the same version number.

Re: gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

Keith Marshall
[Please adjust your mailer settings to wrap at no more than 72 cols]

On 27/06/13 16:46, David Gressett wrote:
> I get this:
> Installed Version:  libgnat-4.7.2-1-mingw32-dll-4_7.tar.lzma
> Repository Version: libgnat-4.7.2-1-mingw32-dll-4_7.tar.lzma

I expected that; you already have the latest version installed.

> In the test version of the graphics-mode MinGW Installation Manager
> that I am using, I can see mingw32-libgnat, which shows as
> up-to-date,  but mingw32-libgnat-dll does not appear at all.

Yes, it does!  The package name is mingw32-libgnat; its class is dll.
To the CLI client, that is specified as mingw32-libgnat-dll.

> Everything that has 4.7.2-1 in the Repository Version column also
> shows as being installed with the same version number.

The problem is not that you've omitted to install anything; the
gnatdll.exe which you seek simply doesn't seem to be present, in
any likely package which is on offer. (You can see the list of files
which have been installed by each package, in the appropriate tabbed
pane of the mingw-get GUI client; I don't see gnatdll.exe listed in
any of those in which I might expect to find it).

This may be a simple packaging omission, or it may be a build issue.
Perhaps Cesar Strauss could comment?

Re: gnatdll.exe missing from Ada 4.7.2 installation

Cesar Strauss
On 06/26/2013 07:57 PM, David Gressett wrote:
> I updated my compiler collection to the gcc 4.7.2 and found that
> gnatdll.exe is missing. This would normally be built when the
> compiler is built. It can't be built separately from the compiler
> build because part of the source code for it is generated on the fly
> when the Ada compiler is built. I didn't look for gnatdll.exe before
> I did the upgrade, so I don't know if it was missing before I did the
> upgrade.

For some reason, it isn't being built along gcc. I didn't find it in the
build directory and it's also not mentioned in the build log. I don't
think I ever shipped this file in any gcc release. In fact, the
last mingw.org release that included this file seems to be 3.4.5.

Regards,
Cesar

On 28/06/13 11:32, Cesar Strauss wrote:

> On 06/26/2013 07:57 PM, David Gressett wrote:
>> I updated my compiler collection to the gcc 4.7.2 and found that
>> gnatdll.exe is missing. This would normally be built when the
>> compiler is built. It can't be built separately from the compiler
>> build because part of the source code for it is generated on the fly
>> when the Ada compiler is built. I didn't look for gnatdll.exe before
>> I did the upgrade, so I don't know if it was missing before I did the
>> upgrade.
>
> For some reason, it isn't being built along gcc. I didn't find it in the
> build directory and it's also not mentioned in the build log. I don't
> think I ever shipped this file in any gcc release. In fact, the
> last mingw.org release that included this file seems to be 3.4.5.

I don't know the first thing about Ada, and have little incentive to
learn.  I did google `gcc+mingw+build+gnatdll.exe'; apart from this
thread itself, the most pertinent hits were mail postings from our own
Danny Smith -- at least he was our own at the time -- to the gcc list,
dating back to 2001/2002; these seem to hint that you may need to
explicitly `make gnatdll.exe', for this tool to be built.