gcj runtime problem

Rinehart, Raleigh

Hi All,

I recently installed Mingw using the automated installer (v5.1.4) and I included the base packages + java (gcj).

I also installed libiconv from MSYS Supplementary Tools to compile Java programs as the wiki states.

Now I can compile a Jaav program just fine, the executable gets created.  However when I try and run it I get this error in an error dialog:

    “The procedure entry point libiconv could not be located in the dynamic link library libiconv-2.dll”

Any ideas on what is going wrong?  libiconv-2.dll is in c:\mingw\bin\.

The version of gcj is:

C:\MinGW\bin

>gcj --version

gcj (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

-raleigh

Re: gcj runtime problem

JonY-2
On 2/5/2009 00:20, Rinehart, Raleigh wrote:

> Hi All,
> I recently installed Mingw using the automated installer (v5.1.4) and I included the base packages + java (gcj).
>
> I also installed libiconv from MSYS Supplementary Tools to compile Java programs as the wiki states.
>
> Now I can compile a Jaav program just fine, the executable gets created.  However when I try and run it I get this error in an error dialog:
>      "The procedure entry point libiconv could not be located in the dynamic link library libiconv-2.dll"
>
> Any ideas on what is going wrong?  libiconv-2.dll is in c:\mingw\bin\.
>
> The version of gcj is:
> C:\MinGW\bin
>> gcj --version
> gcj (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Thanks,
> -raleigh

Hi,

Did you compile libiconv yourself or did you download the binaries from
somewhere?

If you downloaded the binaries, make sure to use the corresponding
version of headers and import libs from the same source.

Re: gcj runtime problem

Rinehart, Raleigh

> On 2/5/2009 00:20, Rinehart, Raleigh wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I recently installed Mingw using the automated installer (v5.1.4) and I
> included the base packages + java (gcj).
> >
> > I also installed libiconv from MSYS Supplementary Tools to compile Java
> programs as the wiki states.
> >
> > Now I can compile a Jaav program just fine, the executable gets created.
> However when I try and run it I get this error in an error dialog:
> >      "The procedure entry point libiconv could not be located in the
> dynamic link library libiconv-2.dll"
> >
> > Any ideas on what is going wrong?  libiconv-2.dll is in c:\mingw\bin\.
> >
> > The version of gcj is:
> > C:\MinGW\bin
> >> gcj --version
> > gcj (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)
> > Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
> NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -raleigh
> >

> Hi,
>
> Did you compile libiconv yourself or did you download the binaries from
> somewhere?
>
> If you downloaded the binaries, make sure to use the corresponding
> version of headers and import libs from the same source.

Hi,
I installed the binaries from the MinGW downloads page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=67879)

I'm assuming that the headers and libs match, at least they look like they do to me.

Note that the the two tarballs (libiconv-1.11-1-bin.tar.bz2 & libiconv-1.11-1-dll.tar.bz2) expand to ...\usr\local\<bin|include|share|lib> so I copied the files\directories into the mingw base dir.  So that what was in ...\usr\local\bin is now in c:\mingw\bin, etc.

I also tried the libiconv packages from GnuWin32 as the wiki (outdated) suggests: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Compile_with_gcj

-raleigh

Re: gcj runtime problem

JonY-2
On 2/5/2009 00:56, Rinehart, Raleigh wrote:

>> On 2/5/2009 00:20, Rinehart, Raleigh wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I recently installed Mingw using the automated installer (v5.1.4) and I
>> included the base packages + java (gcj).
>>> I also installed libiconv from MSYS Supplementary Tools to compile Java
>> programs as the wiki states.
>>> Now I can compile a Jaav program just fine, the executable gets created.
>> However when I try and run it I get this error in an error dialog:
>>>       "The procedure entry point libiconv could not be located in the
>> dynamic link library libiconv-2.dll"
>>> Any ideas on what is going wrong?  libiconv-2.dll is in c:\mingw\bin\.
>>>
>>> The version of gcj is:
>>> C:\MinGW\bin
>>> gcj (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)
>>> Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
>> NO
>>> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>> PURPOSE.
>>> Thanks,
>>> -raleigh
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you compile libiconv yourself or did you download the binaries from
>> somewhere?
>>
>> If you downloaded the binaries, make sure to use the corresponding
>> version of headers and import libs from the same source.
>>

> Hi,
> I installed the binaries from the MinGW downloads page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=67879)
>
> I'm assuming that the headers and libs match, at least they look like they do to me.
>
> Note that the the two tarballs (libiconv-1.11-1-bin.tar.bz2&  libiconv-1.11-1-dll.tar.bz2) expand to ...\usr\local\<bin|include|share|lib>  so I copied the files\directories into the mingw base dir.  So that what was in ...\usr\local\bin is now in c:\mingw\bin, etc.
>
> I also tried the libiconv packages from GnuWin32 as the wiki (outdated) suggests: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Compile_with_gcj
>
> -raleigh

Hi,

Can you make sure that there are no stray headers and import libs mixing
from the gnuwin libiconv and MinGW libiconv?

you can also use dependency walker to check if your java app loads the
wrong libiconv-2.dll. Link: <http://www.dependencywalker.com/>

If it still does not work, you can try building libiconv from source
yourself. You should end up with a dll which exports "libiconv".

Grab the latest tarball at <http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/>.
unpack the source in msys using tar.
configure with:
"./configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-shared --enable-static"
Recompile your java app.

Re: gcj runtime problem

Quoting "Rinehart, Raleigh" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I installed the binaries from the MinGW downloads page
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=67879)
>
> I'm assuming that the headers and libs match, at least they look like
> they do to me.
>
> Note that the the two tarballs (libiconv-1.11-1-bin.tar.bz2 &
> libiconv-1.11-1-dll.tar.bz2) expand to
> ...\usr\local\<bin|include|share|lib> so I copied the
> files\directories into the mingw base dir.  So that what was in
> ...\usr\local\bin is now in c:\mingw\bin, etc.
>
> I also tried the libiconv packages from GnuWin32 as the wiki
> (outdated) suggests: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Compile_with_gcj

Unless you specifically tell the compiler to look in
.../usr/local/include and the linker to look in .../usr/local/lib then
they aren't going to find the necessary files.  If you don't want to be
bothered with always telling the compiler where to look then you should
extract the MinGW distributed packages in /mingw/root/ for MinGW
packages and /msys/root/ for MSYS packages.

Re: gcj runtime problem

On Thursday 05 February 2009 00:26:43 JonY wrote:
> Grab the latest tarball at <http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/>.
> unpack the source in msys using tar.
> configure with:
> "./configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-shared --enable-static"

Last time I looked, (within the last month), that was libiconv-1.12,
which needs a patch to build with MinGW and MSYS.

There is currently a mingwPORT available for libiconv-1.11, which
should build OOTB.  I also have a new one in the pipeline; this will
include the necessary patch to get an OOTB libiconv-1.12.

IIRC, the pre-built binary libiconv-1.11, and its accompanying
development kit, as provided in the MSYS Supplementary Tools section
of our SF download site, is fully consistent and compatible with the
former mingwPORT; the GnuWin32 implementation may not be.

mingwPORT.patch (3K) Download Attachment