gcc 4.9.0

David Gressett
Has anybody else tried to build gcc 4.9.0 for MinGW?

My first attempt was a failure. I took the MinGW source build package
for  the gcc 4.8.1-4 release and hacked  the gcc 4.9.0.tar.bz2 into it to
replace  gcc-4.8.1.tar.bz2. I deleted all of the patch files. I tweaked
package.ini to define a 4.9.0-1 release and to remove the patch
references.

The make log starts of with several hundred lines of configuration stuff,
mostly "checking for .." lines. No warnings or errors appear in this part.

A variety of warnings appear when actual compilation of source code
starts. I expect that some of these could be ignored - I remember
seeing  some of them in my successful 4.8.1-4 build that I used to
patch my Ada problem.

I don't know if this one is a problem - it appears more than once:
../../gcc-4.9.0/libiberty/strerror.c:472:12: warning: '_sys_nerr'
redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport
ignored [-Wattributes]
 extern int sys_nerr;
../../gcc-4.9.0/libiberty/strerror.c:473:14: warning: '_sys_errlist'
redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport
ignored [-Wattributes]
 extern char *sys_errlist[];

This one first shows up about 3000 lines into the make log:

../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/c-family/c-cppbuiltin.c: In function
'void builtin_define_with_int_value(const char*, long long int)':
../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/c-family/c-cppbuiltin.c:1114:58: warning: unknown
conversion type character 'l' in format [-Wformat=]
   sprintf (buf + mlen + 1, HOST_WIDE_INT_PRINT_DEC, value);

The warning
 "unknown conversion type character 'l' in format [-Wformat=]"
appears many, many times

Not so numerous, but still appearing many times is
"warning: too many arguments for format [-Wformat-extra-args]"

Show-stopping errors appear about 5500 lines into the make
log:

../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c: In function
'OS_Time __gnat_file_time_name_attr(char*, file_attributes*)':
../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c:1501:73: error: cannot convert
'TCHAR* {aka wchar_t*}' to 'LPCSTR {aka const char*}' for argument
'1' to 'BOOL GetFileAttributesExA(LPCSTR, GET_FILEEX_INFO_LEVELS, PVOID)'
       if ((res = GetFileAttributesEx (wname, GetFileExInfoStandard, &fad)))

Something seems to have broken the consistency of the definitions of
TCHAR* and LPCSTR.

Re: gcc 4.9.0

niXman-2
David Gressett 2014-05-01 23:14:
> Has anybody else tried to build gcc 4.9.0 for MinGW?

yes:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/32287110/

--
Regards, niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW-W64 compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:

Re: gcc 4.9.0

> From: David Gressett <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 14:14:48 -0500
>
> ../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c: In function
> 'OS_Time __gnat_file_time_name_attr(char*, file_attributes*)':
> ../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c:1501:73: error: cannot convert
> 'TCHAR* {aka wchar_t*}' to 'LPCSTR {aka const char*}' for argument
> '1' to 'BOOL GetFileAttributesExA(LPCSTR, GET_FILEEX_INFO_LEVELS, PVOID)'
>        if ((res = GetFileAttributesEx (wname, GetFileExInfoStandard, &fad)))
>
> Something seems to have broken the consistency of the definitions of
> TCHAR* and LPCSTR.

If TCHAR* is wchar_t*, it means there's "#define UNICODE" somewhere,
something that shouldn't be happening in GCC, AFAIU.  Find out where
that is, and take it from there.

Re: gcc 4.9.0

> Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 00:11:59 +0400
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>
> David Gressett 2014-05-01 23:14:
> > Has anybody else tried to build gcc 4.9.0 for MinGW?
>
> yes:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/32287110/

Which starts with

  Hi,

  Just now I uploaded the new builds of MinGW-W64 based on GCC-4.9.0.

IOW, that's MinGW-W64, not MinGW32, i.e. different system headers,
different MinGW extension libraries, and different exception-handling
mechanism.

Re: gcc 4.9.0

David Gressett-3
> Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 10:08:39 +0300

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] gcc 4.9.0
>
> > From: David Gressett <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 14:14:48 -0500
> >
> > ../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c: In function
> > 'OS_Time __gnat_file_time_name_attr(char*, file_attributes*)':
> > ../../gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c:1501:73: error: cannot convert
> > 'TCHAR* {aka wchar_t*}' to 'LPCSTR {aka const char*}' for argument
> > '1' to 'BOOL GetFileAttributesExA(LPCSTR, GET_FILEEX_INFO_LEVELS, PVOID)'
> > if ((res = GetFileAttributesEx (wname, GetFileExInfoStandard, &fad)))
> >
> > Something seems to have broken the consistency of the definitions of
> > TCHAR* and LPCSTR.
>
> If TCHAR* is wchar_t*, it means there's "#define UNICODE" somewhere,
> something that shouldn't be happening in GCC, AFAIU. Find out where
> that is, and take it from there.

The error appears when compiling gcc-4.9.0/gcc/ada/adaint.c;
adaint.c includes mingw32.h which defines UNICODE and _UNICODE.
mingw32.h includes the MinGW system header _mingw.h, which
defines the macros which should produce the correct GetFileAttributesExW
instead of the incorrect GetFileAttributesExA. This worked when I built the
4.8.1-4 version.  I'm suspicious that I have left something  out of the
package.ini file  Here is what I have now for the package.ini file,
minus the large leading comment:

# This variable contains the name of the package, e.g. mingwrt.
PKG = gcc

# This variable contains the package version as is shown by the name of the
# package file.
PKGVER = 4.9.0

# This variable contains additional package name data, usually empty. E.G. the
# upstream pthreads-w32 package name is pthreads-w32-2-9-1-release, the PKGEXTRA
# variable is set as PKGEXTRA = -release.
PKGEXTRA =

# This variable gives the archive format for the upstream file name.
PKGEXT = tar.bz2

# This variable gives the URL to find the package name in order to download it
# if necessary.  The $(PKGFILE) is a target in the Makefile and its rules will
# use this variable to attempt to download the file.
PKGURL = http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/$(PKG)-$(PKGVER)

# This is the version of the package we wish to provide in package naming.  This
# variable will usually match the $(PKGVER) variable but sometimes the upstream
# package name doesn't contain a consistent naming pattern and we can override
# it here.  E.G. The pthreads-w32 package PKGVER variable is 1-0-0 which is not
# consistent with the MinGW naming pattern so we set MPKGVER = 1.0.0 instead.
MPKGVER = $(PKGVER)

# Set this variable with the package release sequence number. E.G. If I have
# package foo-1.0.0 already delivered as foo-1.0.0-1-mingw32 and I want to
# correct a package issue I would set this to 2 so that the packages are created
# as foo-1.0.0-2-mingw32.
MPKGRLS = 1

# Set this variable for the file extension matching the compression you wish
# to give it.
MPKGEXT = tar.lzma

# Set this variable for the mingw-get package identifier.
MPKGRT = mingw32

# Set this variable with a list of files to add as patches.  The order of the
# list may be important.
MPATCHES =

# Set this variable for the options to the patch program.  It defaults to -p0.
MPATCHOPT =

# Set this variable to the final destination for installation.
PREFIX = /mingw

# Set this variable to the host environment "triplet" string.
HOST = mingw32

# Set this variable to the build environment "triplet" string.
BUILD = mingw32

# Set this variable with the options to the configure script.
CONFOPT = --prefix=$(PREFIX) --host=$(HOST) --build=$(BUILD) --without-pic --enable-shared --enable-static --with-gnu-ld --enable-lto --enable-libssp --disable-multilib --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,ada --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 --disable-win32-registry --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-gmp=`cd ../../gmp-5.1.2-1-mingw32-src/bld && pwd` --with-mpc=`cd ../../mpc-1.0.1-1-mingw32-src/bld && pwd` --with-mpfr=`cd ../../mpfr-3.2.1-1-mingw32-src/bld && pwd` --with-system-zlib --with-gnu-as --enable-decimal-float=yes --enable-libgomp --enable-threads --with-libiconv-prefix=/mingw32 --with-libintl-prefix=/mingw --disable-bootstrap LDFLAGS=-s

# Set this variable with the files containing license you want copied to
# share/doc/$(PKG)/$(MPKGVER).  The list of files may contain sub-directories
# relative to the $(PACKAGE) directory.  E.G. Libiberty copied into packages
# like binutils and gcc has its own set of license files but libiberty
# is distributed with the base $(PACKAGE).  So include libiberty/COPYING.LIB to
# have it as part of the license file set.
#
core_LIC_FILES = COPYING COPYING.LIB COPYING.RUNTIME COPYING3 COPYING3.LIB gcc/COPYING gcc/COPYING.LIB gcc/COPYING3 gcc/COPYING3.LIB include/COPYING include/COPYING3 libiberty/COPYING.LIB libquadmath/COPYING.LIB libffi/LICENSE zlib/contrib/dotzlib/LICENSE_1_0.txt libsanitizer/LICENSE.TXT

# Set this variable with the files you want copied to
# share/doc/$(PKG)/$(MPKGVER).  The list of files may contain sub-directories
# relative to the $(PACKAGE) directory.  E.G. Libiberty copied into packages
# like binutils and gcc has its own set of documentation files but libiberty
# is distributed with the base $(PACKAGE).  So include libiberty/ChangeLog to
# have it as part of the documentation file set.
#
core_DOC_FILES = ABOUT-NLS ChangeLog* INSTALL/README LAST_UPDATED MAINTAINERS MD5SUMS NEWS README boehm-gc/ChangeLog* boehm-gc/doc/README.* boehm-gc/doc/barrett_diagram config/ChangeLog* contrib/ChangeLog* contrib/reghunt/ChangeLog* contrib/regression/ChangeLog* contrib/regression/README fixincludes/ChangeLog* fixincludes/README* gcc/ABOUT-GCC-NLS gcc/BASE-VER gcc/ChangeLog* gcc/DATESTAMP gcc/DEV-PHASE gcc/FSFChangeLog* gcc/LANGUAGES gcc/ONEWS gcc/README.Portability gcc/c/ChangeLog* gcc/c-family/ChangeLog* gcc/config/README gcc/cp/ChangeLog* gcc/cp/NEWS gcc/lto/ChangeLog* gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog* gcc/testsuite/README* include/ChangeLog* intl/ChangeLog* intl/README intl/VERSION libatomic/ChangeLog* libbacktrace/ChangeLog* libbacktrace/README libcpp/ChangeLog* libdecnumber/ChangeLog* libffi/ChangeLog* libffi/README libgcc/ChangeLog* libgomp/ChangeLog* libiberty/ChangeLog* libiberty/README libquadmath/ChangeLog* libssp/ChangeLog* libsanitizer/ChangeLog* libsanitizer/README.gcc libsanitizer/MERGE lto-plugin/ChangeLog* zlib/ChangeLog* zlib/FAQ zlib/INDEX zlib/README
ada_DOC_FILES = gcc/ada/ChangeLog* gnattools/ChangeLog* libada/ChangeLog*
fortran_DOC_FILES = gcc/fortran/ChangeLog* libgfortran/ChangeLog*
objc_DOC_FILES = gcc/objc/ChangeLog* gcc/objcp/ChangeLog* libobjc/ChangeLog* libobjc/README libobjc/THREADS
cpp_DOC_FILES = libstdc++-v3/ChangeLog* libstdc++-v3/README

core_HTML_FILES = boehm-gc/*.html INSTALL/*.html

core_INFO_FILES = cpp.info gcc.info cppinternals.info gcc.info gccinstall.info gccint.info libgomp.info libquadmath.info
ada_INFO_FILES = gnat-style.info gnat_rm.info gnat_ugn.info
fortran_INFO_FILES = gfortran.info

core_MAN_FILES = man1/cpp.1 man1/gcc.1 man1/gcov.1 man7/fsf-funding.7 man7/gfdl.7 man7/gpl.7
fortran_MAN_FILES = man1/gfortran.1
cpp_MAN_FILES = man1/g++.1

# If you want to copy the .exe files installed to $(PREFIX)/bin to also contain
# a $(HOST) prefix then set this variable to y or yes. E.G. If you want to copy
# bin/ld.exe to bin/$(HOST)-ld.exe then set this variable to y.
COPY_BIN_TO_HOST = y

# if you wat to copy the include/, lib/ and libexec/ directories to a $(HOST)
# directory then set this variable to y or yes.  E.G. We need the mingwrt
# libraries in the $(HOST)/include and $(HOST)/lib to help with cross tooling so
# this variable is set to y.
COPY_LIB_TO_HOST = y

gcc installation

georg chambert
I want to do what I have done before; download a MinGw full package with installer to my XP.

NOW; developments seem to go from good to bad

I can not find one / A file to download which does this task for me (am I right ?? hope not),  as was previously possible

NOW it seems that Im to download a loader, which will in turn download, of cause over the net, which I dont want, because I want to make
the installation on a non networkable machine.

HELP, is there anywhere where I can get a (binary) full installation, and self installing, on ONE FILE ?

BR & tnx
Georg

Re: gcc installation

John E. / TDM
On 5/10/2014 9:25 AM, georg chambert wrote:
HELP, is there anywhere where I can get a (binary) full installation, and self installing, on ONE FILE ?

Hi Georg,

The MinGW project does not currently offer an all-in-one installer, instead opting for the online version to minimize users' total bandwidth utilization during the download process.

However, if you run the installation process on a networked machine, it will be safe for you to then copy the contents of the MinGW installation (starting at the root folder that you choose during installation) to a non-networked machine, to obtain a working MinGW installation there.

Alternatively (and I stress that this is not in any way supported by the MinGW project), you may consider TDM-GCC[1], which offers a GCC toolchain based on MinGW with some patches for Windows-friendliness.

-John E. / TDM

[1] - <http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net>

Re: MinGW Standalone installer

georg chambert
That should be ok, Im looking for something newer than 2.8 (which has suited me fine until now, missing the libstdc++ library, and unable to get it into my 2.8, its said to be
internal in the later installations)

Tnx will try
Georg
> HELP, is there anywhere where I can get a (binary) full installation, and self installing, on ONE FILE ?

I'm aware of one standalone/offline installer, but it's GCC 4.7.2. Is that ok?

Cheers.

Ser.

Re: gcc installation

georg chambert

still, I find it troublesome that development goes backwards as to usability,

I have still not after months of attempts successfully gotten a new gcc installed, while previous version 2.8 took me 2 days.
why

Is there by chance a list of the filestructure
that give a sample of the files needed as a basic set to get a gcc compiler for C,C++ and Ada running (and with the libstdc++
which access to is the root of all this trouble, I just need to get that lib working for reference from the application Im so long delayed in compiling&linking)

many Tnx
for possible help
Georg

[...]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/perforce

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: gcc installation

Keith Marshall
On 15/05/14 19:33, georg chambert wrote:
> still, I find it troublesome that development goes backwards as to
> usability,

And your definition of "usability" comes down to a prehistoric version
of GCC, no longer maintained, nor even maintainable.

> I have still not after months of attempts successfully gotten a new
> gcc installed, while previous version 2.8 took me 2 days.

You think 2 days is good?  Incredible!  Thankfully, the majority of
users are less befuddled by Microsoft brainwashing.

Using the current mingw-get installer, I can install a full system in
around 30 minutes.  Yes, that needs an on-line install, but you need
on-line connectivity to download packages for any installation -- if you
want it off-line, direct that initial installation to removable media,
and, as John E. has already suggested, you can clone it to as many
off-line machines as you like.

Re: gcc installation

georg chambert
Thanx for the the true helpfullness.
The installer I have used and it worked find in obscurity,
however when jobb done things still didnt work, it had overlaid
files of the previous 2.8 installation without any hint of what it had been
doing.
There is no knowing of what files were there before and have been
substituted,
and indeed why it fails internally when linking the Vector package.
I prefer to be incontrol even if it takes some more time.

Br georg