distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Brecht Sanders
Hi,
I would like to switch my Windows build environment to MinGW version 4.4.0. Most of the things that built in version 3 still build the same way with little changes, however now some of the produced binaries depend on LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL.
So I would like to know if I want to distribute a binary package if I am allowed to distribute LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL.
Or does it depend on the license of the software it is being packaged with?

Maybe somebody has other suggestions?
Is it possible to build release binaries without this dependancy?

Regards
    Brecht Sanders

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

leledumbo

> Maybe somebody has other suggestions?

I think you've found it out yourself: static linking

> Is it possible to build release binaries without this dependancy?

Yes, add -static-libgcc when compiling.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Brecht Sanders

I think you've found it out yourself: static linking

Is it possible to build release binaries without this dependancy?

Yes, add -static-libgcc when compiling.

I looked into that, but couldn't find that option anywhere in the --help of gcc, g++ or ld.
Where should that parameter go exactly, and how do I pass it on when building with ./configure?

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

leledumbo

> I looked into that, but couldn't find that option anywhere in the --help
> of gcc, g++ or ld.

It's in the readme (or release notes?)

> Where should that parameter go exactly, and how do I pass it on when
> building with ./configure?

something like: gcc -static-libgcc -o a a.c

for using with ./configure: ./configure CFLAGS=-static-libgcc

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Brecht Sanders

I looked into that, but couldn't find that option anywhere in the --help
of gcc, g++ or ld.

It's in the readme (or release notes?)

Any reason why it's not in --help (or -v --help)?

Where should that parameter go exactly, and how do I pass it on when
building with ./configure?

something like: gcc -static-libgcc -o a a.c

for using with ./configure: ./configure CFLAGS=-static-libgcc

Just tried it with a small project, but my .exe still depends on LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL.

Brecht Sanders wrote:

I looked into that, but couldn't find that option anywhere in the --help
of gcc, g++ or ld.

It's in the readme (or release notes?)

Any reason why it's not in --help (or -v --help)?
Where should that parameter go exactly, and how do I pass it on when
building with ./configure?

something like: gcc -static-libgcc -o a a.c

for using with ./configure: ./configure CFLAGS=-static-libgcc

Just tried it with a small project, but my .exe still depends on LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL.

Hmm, just tried another project with -static-libgcc as *linker* option and this did remove the dependancy.
So maybe it shouldn't be used around gcc -o or CFLAGS, but rather in LDFLAGS.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Greg Chicares
On 2009-09-08 12:41Z, Brecht Sanders wrote:
> Brecht Sanders wrote:
[...]
> Hmm, just tried another project with -static-libgcc as *linker* option
> and this did remove the dependancy.
> So maybe it shouldn't be used around gcc -o or CFLAGS, but rather in
> LDFLAGS.

Yes, it's a linker option, as documented here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Brecht Sanders

Hmm, just tried another project with -static-libgcc as *linker* option
and this did remove the dependancy.
So maybe it shouldn't be used around gcc -o or CFLAGS, but rather in
LDFLAGS.

Yes, it's a linker option, as documented here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html

Thanks. So apparently using the static library will no longer allow exceptions to be thrown across DLLs.
So my original question still stands: can the binary LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL be distributed or are there license restrictions?

On 2009-09-08 14:21Z, Brecht Sanders wrote:

> So my original question still stands: can the binary LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL
> be distributed or are there license restrictions?

This search:
  http://www.google.com/#q=libstdc%2B%2B+license
leads you to this thread:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/threads.html#01123

2) Thread hijacking

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Danny Smith

Re: distributing LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL

Earnie-3
Quoting Danny Smith <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

Which is to say that you must have a soft copy of the source that
created LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL handy to distribute should someone request
it.  I would suggest that the distribution of a binary that requires
this DLL should also contain the source for the DLL just so that your
obligations to the GPL are met in full.  The GPL places the burden of
distribution of source on the distributor of the binary.  You cannot
use a URL reference to the source unless that URL belongs to you.

2) Thread hijacking