dev strategy question/poll/survey

Thomas Stover
For me (like many, if not most people on this list I would guess)
windows is more of a second tier target platform. Over the years I have
experimented/used/tried many different approaches to the whole issue of
"dealing with windows". After a string a good successes, I'm about to
wholesale jump on the boat that says, "do as much windows development
work as possible on *nix via mingw cross compilers etc". After
reluctantly finding my way to this school of thought, I'm starting to
suspect that it is not only a very popular strategy, but perhapses the
most common. I'm mean both mingw and mingw-64w work just plain awesome
as cross compilers. NSIS works natively on linux, and Inno Setup runs
correctly under wine. You can even run many automated tests with wine
also. A full blown windows targeted *nix continuous integration
environment is easy to imagine.

So my question is, how many people are doing things this way? ...and as
a related follow up question (not just for the cross environment) do
mingw users make windows installers? If so with what tools?

There was also post recently about remote gdb debugging of a linux
program, anyone doing the reverse?

Re: dev strategy question/poll/survey

Vincent Torri

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Thomas Stover wrote:

> For me (like many, if not most people on this list I would guess)
> windows is more of a second tier target platform. Over the years I have
> experimented/used/tried many different approaches to the whole issue of
> "dealing with windows". After a string a good successes, I'm about to
> wholesale jump on the boat that says, "do as much windows development
> work as possible on *nix via mingw cross compilers etc". After
> reluctantly finding my way to this school of thought, I'm starting to
> suspect that it is not only a very popular strategy, but perhapses the
> most common. I'm mean both mingw and mingw-64w work just plain awesome
> as cross compilers. NSIS works natively on linux, and Inno Setup runs
> correctly under wine. You can even run many automated tests with wine
> also. A full blown windows targeted *nix continuous integration
> environment is easy to imagine.
>
> So my question is, how many people are doing things this way? ...and as
> a related follow up question (not just for the cross environment) do
> mingw users make windows installers? If so with what tools?

I use NSIS. It's sufficient for my needs

Vincent Torri

Re: dev strategy question/poll/survey

Derek Hunter
Thomas Stover wrote:

> So my question is, how many people are doing things this way? ...and as
> a related follow up question (not just for the cross environment) do
> mingw users make windows installers? If so with what tools?

Development: MinGW hosted on a native Windows platform. Various DOS
editing tools and command line 'printf' based debugging. GTK+ as a
graphical interface where necessary.

Installations: NSIS.

Derek Hunter.