cross compiler for mingw on linux

whitequill
I am trying to build a cross compiler to build Windows exes on linux,
I have looked for help and found this:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2009-04/msg01029.html

this messages gives a document on "mingw-w64-howto-build" that no
longer exists on sourceforge.net.

This is the error I'm getting:
In file included from ../.././gcc/tm.h:11,
                 from ../../../gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:35:
../../../gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/config/i386/cygming.h:68:19: error:
stdio.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/whitequill/Share/build.gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/libgcc'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/whitequill/Share/build.gcc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Re: cross compiler for mingw on linux

Volker Grabsch
Bj Raz schrieb:
> I am trying to build a cross compiler to build Windows exes on linux,
> I have looked for help and found this:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2009-04/msg01029.html
>
> this messages gives a document on "mingw-w64-howto-build" that no
> longer exists on sourceforge.net.

If 32-bit and static linking are okay for you, you might want to
give the mingw-cross-env project a try:

http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/

Even if the project doesn't suit your needs, its src/gcc.mk source
file demonstrates how to build a GCC 4.6.0 cross compiler for MinGW.
Also note that you should build a suitable Binutils version before
(see src/binutils.mk).

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch
---<<(())>>---

Re: cross compiler for mingw on linux

JonY-3
On 5/4/2011 00:06, Bj Raz wrote:

> I am trying to build a cross compiler to build Windows exes on linux,
> I have looked for help and found this:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2009-04/msg01029.html
>
> this messages gives a document on "mingw-w64-howto-build" that no
> longer exists on sourceforge.net.
>
> This is the error I'm getting:
> In file included from ../.././gcc/tm.h:11,
>                  from ../../../gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:35:
> ../../../gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/config/i386/cygming.h:68:19: error:
> stdio.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/whitequill/Share/build.gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/libgcc'
> make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/whitequill/Share/build.gcc'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

--Moving thread to mingw-w64 public--

Looks like you're missing mingw-w64-headers. GCC 4.3.2 is also way too
old for mingw-w64, time to move on to 4.5.x or 4.6.x.

0xED74C077.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: cross compiler for mingw on linux

Tomi Ollila
On Wed 04 May 2011 01:54, Volker Grabsch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Bj Raz schrieb:
>> I am trying to build a cross compiler to build Windows exes on linux,
>> I have looked for help and found this:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2009-04/msg01029.html
>>
>> this messages gives a document on "mingw-w64-howto-build" that no
>> longer exists on sourceforge.net.
>
> If 32-bit and static linking are okay for you, you might want to
> give the mingw-cross-env project a try:
>
> http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/
>
> Even if the project doesn't suit your needs, its src/gcc.mk source
> file demonstrates how to build a GCC 4.6.0 cross compiler for MinGW.
> Also note that you should build a suitable Binutils version before
> (see src/binutils.mk).

Also, if 32-bit (and static linking) are okay, you could try already-made
binary packages in Linux, at least debian, ubuntu & fedora has those
available (just checked), probably many others too, try

$ apt-cache search mingw
or
$ yum search mingw

To check what packages are available.

> Greets,
> Volker

Tomi

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed 04 May 2011 01:54, Volker Grabsch <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Bj Raz schrieb:
>>> I am trying to build a cross compiler to build Windows exes on linux,
>>> I have looked for help and found this:
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2009-04/msg01029.html
>>>
>>> this messages gives a document on "mingw-w64-howto-build" that no
>>> longer exists on sourceforge.net.
>>
>> If 32-bit and static linking are okay for you, you might want to
>> give the mingw-cross-env project a try:
>>
>> http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/
>>
>> Even if the project doesn't suit your needs, its src/gcc.mk source
>> file demonstrates how to build a GCC 4.6.0 cross compiler for MinGW.
>> Also note that you should build a suitable Binutils version before
>> (see src/binutils.mk).
>
> Also, if 32-bit (and static linking) are okay, you could try already-made
> binary packages in Linux, at least debian, ubuntu & fedora has those
> available (just checked), probably many others too, try
>
> $ apt-cache search mingw
> or
> $ yum search mingw
>
> To check what packages are available.
>
>> Greets,
>> Volker
>
> Tomi

which yum repositories? I don't have a lot of them configured right now. :(

On Thu 05 May 2011 19:41, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Also, if 32-bit (and static linking) are okay, you could try already-made
>> binary packages in Linux, at least debian, ubuntu & fedora has those
>> available (just checked), probably many others too, try
>>
>> $ apt-cache search mingw
>> or
>> $ yum search mingw
>>
>> To check what packages are available.
>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Volker
>>
>> Tomi
>>
> which yum repositories? I don't have a lot of them configured right
> now. :(

The default should be fine -- let's see... On my Fedora 13 I have
configured:

$ ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1144 May  7  2010 fedora.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1105 May  7  2010 fedora-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1163 May  7  2010 fedora-updates-testing.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1301 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1202 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1200 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1260 May 17  2009 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo

Those might be in rpmfusion repo(s) then...

Tomi

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu 05 May 2011 19:41, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, if 32-bit (and static linking) are okay, you could try already-made
>>> binary packages in Linux, at least debian, ubuntu & fedora has those
>>> available (just checked), probably many others too, try
>>>
>>> $ apt-cache search mingw
>>> or
>>> $ yum search mingw
>>>
>>> To check what packages are available.

>>> Tomi
>>>
>> which yum repositories? I don't have a lot of them configured right
>> now. :(
>
> The default should be fine -- let's see... On my Fedora 13 I have
> configured:
>
> $ ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1144 May  7  2010 fedora.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1105 May  7  2010 fedora-updates.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1163 May  7  2010 fedora-updates-testing.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1301 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1202 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1200 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1260 May 17  2009 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
>
> Those might be in rpmfusion repo(s) then...
>
> Tomi

That' is probably why then, I have Suse 11.3.  So I have to add repos manually.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> which yum repositories? I don't have a lot of them configured right
>>> now. :(
>>
>> The default should be fine -- let's see... On my Fedora 13 I have
>> configured:
>>
>> $ ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1144 May  7  2010 fedora.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1105 May  7  2010 fedora-updates.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1163 May  7  2010 fedora-updates-testing.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1301 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1202 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1200 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1260 May 17  2009 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
>>
>> Those might be in rpmfusion repo(s) then...
>>
>> Tomi
>>
> That' is probably why then, I have Suse 11.3.  So I have to add repos manually.

I guess new errors mean progress. :)
I did succeed in getting to glibc before, but I took JonY's noting I'm
suing an older gcc, and decided to pull down the source.
So as of now, I'm getting error:

The directory that should contain system headers does not exist:
  /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-include
In file included from /mnt/network/source/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:44:0,
                 from /mnt/network/source/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:29:
/home/lfs/build.gcc/./gcc/include/stddef.h:1:25: fatal error:
stddef.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

tell me what headers does it want?

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The default should be fine -- let's see... On my Fedora 13 I have
>>> configured:
>>>
>>> $ ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1144 May  7  2010 fedora.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1105 May  7  2010 fedora-updates.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1163 May  7  2010 fedora-updates-testing.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1301 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1202 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1200 Apr 16  2010 rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
>>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1260 May 17  2009 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
>>>
>>> Those might be in rpmfusion repo(s) then...
>>>
>>> Tomi
>>>
>> That' is probably why then, I have Suse 11.3.  So I have to add repos manually.
>
> I guess new errors mean progress. :)
> I did succeed in getting to glibc before, but I took JonY's noting I'm
> suing an older gcc, and decided to pull down the source.
> So as of now, I'm getting error:
>
> The directory that should contain system headers does not exist:
>  /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-include
> In file included from /mnt/network/source/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:44:0,
>                 from /mnt/network/source/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:29:
> /home/lfs/build.gcc/./gcc/include/stddef.h:1:25: fatal error:
> stddef.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
> make[2]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> tell me what headers does it want?

Never mind I think I just answered my own question. It wants the mingw headers.