confused

georg chambert
Hi,

I have now for some time tried to get a new version of gcc on XP.

Because I have an old version, which I thought is satisfied with, it is fast and works well,
but I have a need for a library libstdc++ for vector etc which I have not succeeded in adding to my 2.8 gcc installation.

Now I have deleted the whole istallation tree under c:/mingw  and reloaded using minGW installer util,
and to my surprise

>gcc -v
gives me still the 2.8.1
however i notice that that is actually refering to c:/GNAT

so, 1. now what environment is miss-set ?
2. can I have the old version gcc 2.8.1 in parallell ?
3. will there be any missmatching keeping both ?

 thankful for help

Georg

Re: confused

David Gressett-3
>From: [hidden email] >Hi,   >I have now for some time tried to get a new version >of gcc on XP.   ... snip ...   >Now I have deleted the whole istallation >tree under c:/mingw  and reloaded using minGW installer >util, >and to my surprise   >>gcc -v >gives me still the 2.8.1 >however i notice that that is actually refering to >c:/GNAT   >so, 1. now what environment is miss-set >? PATH >2. can I have the old version gcc 2.8.1 in >parallell ? Yes. >3. will there be any missmatching keeping both >? There are some possible problems if you are using the Ada compiler, but if you are not using it, there will be no problems if only one gcc is in PATH.

Re: confused

georg chambert
Thanks, however,  my most important point, how do I set my PATH ?
in order to run gcc 4.8 (or whatever the latest download will be),
since the  installation using the installation tool has not directed the gcc command to the
new installation. Thanks again.  (there should be some doc describing what is needed for installation ?)

BR georg

Re: confused -- anyone

georg chambert
OK, read your answer more carefully David,
 should I interprete that only ONE of the possible gcc.exe may be found
via the PATH, so if there are several gcc.exe reached via different tree parts of the PATH then trouble.

Whats with ada, I would like to use ada.

BR georg

Re: confused

David Gressett
>From: georg chambert [mailto:[hidden email]]

>Thanks, however,  my most important point, how do I set my PATH ?
>in order to run gcc 4.8 (or whatever the latest download will be),
>since the  installation using the installation tool has not directed the gcc command to the
>new installation. Thanks again.  (there should be some doc describing what is needed for installation ?)

(Please don't top-post.)

In Windows 7 , go to the Control Panel, and open User Accounts,
then choose the "Change my environment variables" item.

Scroll down in the System variables until you find Path, then
click on the Edit button.

I don't have any other versions of Windows available, but something
similar should work for other versions of Windows.

The Windows built-in path editor is not very good. I actually use a 3rd-party
path editor which is much better than the one that comes with Windows.
Google for "Redfern Path Editor" and you should find several sites from
which to download it.

Re: confused

georg chambert
Hi David,

thanks, yes I have ways to set the PATH variable in XP, it is quite simple
in command mode (cmd)
however Im more concered of how the system uses the information in the
PATH, is
that also used to find dynamically linked libraries ?  and then what happens
if there
are to different "paths" using the PATH  var that leads to different files
with same name
(e.g. gcc.exe in one directory, and a gcc.exe in another directory, both
dirs included by the PATH var)

BR georg

>Thanks, however, my most important point, how do I set my PATH ?
>in order to run gcc 4.8 (or whatever the latest download will be),
>since the installation using the installation tool has not directed the gcc
>command to the
>new installation. Thanks again. (there should be some doc describing what
>is needed for installation ?)

(Please don't top-post.)

In Windows 7 , go to the Control Panel, and open User Accounts,
then choose the "Change my environment variables" item.

Scroll down in the System variables until you find Path, then
click on the Edit button.

I don't have any other versions of Windows available, but something
similar should work for other versions of Windows.

The Windows built-in path editor is not very good. I actually use a
3rd-party
path editor which is much better than the one that comes with Windows.
Google for "Redfern Path Editor" and you should find several sites from
which to download it.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: confused

Gisle Vanem-3
"georg chambert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> and then what happens if there are to different "paths" using the
> PATH  var that leads to different files with same name
> (e.g. gcc.exe in one directory, and a gcc.exe in another directory, both
> dirs included by the PATH var)

The Win-loader will only execute the first gcc.exe it finds in the
PATH. But it depends on who "you" are; the SYSTEM user, current user
(HKCU), or whatever. There are different sources for the environment
variables.  See below.

If you're interested in figuring out which path Windows will find
and launch a program in, checkout my envtool program. Here:
  http://watt-32.net/misc/#envtool

Example: 'c:\> envtool --path gcc.exe'

Matches in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment:
 (4)  11 Apr 2012 - 19:23:50: G:\gv\StrawberryPerl\c\bin\gcc.exe
Matches in HKCU\Environment:
 (3)  16 Oct 2012 - 14:45:16: g:\MingW32\bin\gcc.exe
Matches in %PATH:
      16 Oct 2012 - 14:45:16: g:\MingW32\bin\gcc.exe

The 'G:\gv\StrawberryPerl\c\bin\gcc.exe' was bundled with my Perl. I
never use it. But the one in 'g:\MingW32\bin\gcc.exe'.

--gv