configure error

Robert-5-3
Hi, I am following the wiki (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys) to install
msys+mingw,

at the following step i get an error...

"Using MSYS with MinGW
The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well and can't
build DLLs. If you need newer versions of autoconf, automake and libtool
then follow these instructions.
We will install autoconf, automake and libtool.

   * You will need to download updated versions.
         o autoconf <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/>
         o automake <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/>
         o libtool <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/>

   * Unpack autoconf, automake and libtool to a directory of your choice.
   * Install them with the 3 with the following command:

./configure --prefix=/mingw && make && make install"

the error is
"
$ ./configure --prefix=/mingw && make && make install
sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
"

Wondering what i have missed...

Thanks for your time,
                     Robert

Re: configure error

Soren Andersen

> Hi, I am following the wiki (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys) to
> install msys+mingw,
>
> at the following step i get an error...
>
> "Using MSYS with MinGW
> The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well and
> can't build DLLs. If you need newer versions of autoconf, automake
> and libtool then follow these instructions.
> We will install autoconf, automake and libtool.
>
>    * You will need to download updated versions.
>          o autoconf <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/>
>          o automake <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/>
>          o libtool <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/>
>
>    * Unpack autoconf, automake and libtool to a directory of your
> choice.
>    * Install them with the 3 with the following command:
>
> ../configure --prefix=/mingw && make && make install"
>
> the error is
> "
> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw && make && make install
> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
> "
>
> Wondering what i have missed...

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Running-configure-Scripts.html#Running-configure-Scripts

or in case of email evil: http://tinyurl.com/3jyue2

If this is truly the first time that you've encountered a
`configure' script, you have a lot of knowledge to assimilate.

   Regards,
      Soren Andersen

Re: configure error

JonY-2
On 10/9/2008 23:16, Robert wrote:

> Hi, I am following the wiki (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys) to install
> msys+mingw,
>
> at the following step i get an error...
>
> "Using MSYS with MinGW
> The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well and can't
> build DLLs. If you need newer versions of autoconf, automake and libtool
> then follow these instructions.
> We will install autoconf, automake and libtool.
>
>     * You will need to download updated versions.
>           o autoconf<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/>
>           o automake<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/>
>           o libtool<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/>
>
>     * Unpack autoconf, automake and libtool to a directory of your choice.
>     * Install them with the 3 with the following command:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install"
>

> the error is
> "
> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install
> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
> "
>
> Wondering what i have missed...
>
> Thanks for your time,
>                       Robert

Hi,
did you "cd" into the unpacked directories? Sorry if it wasn't obvious
in the guide.

Re: configure error

Robert-5-3
ah, hehe, thanks, knew it was something blatantly obvious, im only a
first year comp sci student, i know i have a lot to learn...

JonY wrote:

> On 10/9/2008 23:16, Robert wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am following the wiki (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys) to install
>> msys+mingw,
>>
>> at the following step i get an error...
>>
>> "Using MSYS with MinGW
>> The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well and can't
>> build DLLs. If you need newer versions of autoconf, automake and libtool
>> then follow these instructions.
>> We will install autoconf, automake and libtool.
>>
>>     * You will need to download updated versions.
>>           o autoconf<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/>
>>           o automake<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/>
>>           o libtool<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/>
>>
>>     * Unpack autoconf, automake and libtool to a directory of your choice.
>>     * Install them with the 3 with the following command:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install"
>>

>> the error is
>> "
>> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install
>> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
>> "
>>
>> Wondering what i have missed...
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>                       Robert
>>

> Hi,
> did you "cd" into the unpacked directories? Sorry if it wasn't obvious
> in the guide.

Re: configure error

Keith Marshall
On Thursday 09 October 2008 17:14:23 Robert wrote:
> ah, hehe, thanks, knew it was something blatantly obvious, im only
> a first year comp sci student, i know i have a lot to learn...

Not least of it being that you shouldn't top post on mailing lists.

> JonY wrote:
> > On 10/9/2008 23:16, Robert wrote:
> >> Hi, I am following the wiki (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys) to
> >> install msys+mingw,
> >>
> >> at the following step i get an error...
> >>
> >> "Using MSYS with MinGW
> >> The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well
> >> and can't build DLLs. If you need newer versions of autoconf,
> >> automake and libtool then follow these instructions.
> >> We will install autoconf, automake and libtool.
> >>
> >>     * You will need to download updated versions.
> >>           o autoconf<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/>
> >>
> >> ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install"
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> > did you "cd" into the unpacked directories? Sorry if it wasn't
> > obvious in the guide.

With recent autoconf, make sure you read the comments attached to that
wiki article -- in particular the one about *not* configuring and
building in the source directory.  If you have updated your MSYS make
to version 3.81, it exposes a bug in autoconf, (which I know afflicts
autoconf-2.61 through 2.63), and which makes it impossible to build
using the above commands.

You should build in a separate directory, outside of the source
hierarchy; that's actually good practice to adopt for *any* package,
unless it absolutely does not support such a building method, (known
as a VPATH build, and supported by any autoconfiscated package).

FTR, here's the sequence of commands I recommend, for building
autoconf-2.63:--

  $ tar xzf autoconf-2.63.tar.gz
  $ mkdir -p build/autoconf-2.63
  $ cd build/autoconf-2.63
  $ ../../autoconf-2.63/configure --prefix=/mingw
  $ make
  $ make check
  $ make install

Do note that the `make check' step is optional; it confirms that the
build has been completed successfully, but it  is rather slow -- it
takes about 7 hours on my MSYS box.  If you don't care for the peace
of mind it affords, you may omit it.

HTH,

Re: configure error

Soren Andersen
Marshall wrote:

> On Thursday 09 October 2008 17:14:23 Robert wrote:
> > ah, hehe, thanks, knew it was something blatantly obvious, im only
> > a first year comp sci student, i know i have a lot to learn...
>
> Not least of it being that you shouldn't top post on mailing lists.

Amen.

>> JonY:
>>> Robert:

>>> did you "cd" into the unpacked directories? Sorry if it wasn't
>>> obvious in the guide.

> (Keith:)
> With recent autoconf, make sure you read the comments attached to
> that wiki article -- in particular the one about *not* configuring
> and building in the source directory.  If you have updated your MSYS
> make to version 3.81, it exposes a bug in autoconf, (which I know
> afflicts autoconf-2.61 through 2.63), and which makes it impossible
> to build using the above commands.
>
> You should build in a separate directory, outside of the source
> hierarchy; that's actually good practice to adopt for *any* package,
> unless it absolutely does not support such a building method, (known
> as a VPATH build, and supported by any autoconfiscated package).

Thank you for clarifying this, Keith.  I am inspired to
elaborate a little further ;-):

For reference, the term "VPATH build" is also known colloquially
as "an out of src build".  Readers may encounter this other
usage from time to time.

> FTR, here's the sequence of commands I recommend, for building
> autoconf-2.63:--
>
>   $ tar xzf autoconf-2.63.tar.gz
>   $ mkdir -p build/autoconf-2.63

It is a very good thing to become aware of the existence of the
"VPATH build" or "out of src build" as early as possible in
one's programming career (whether that career turns out to be
just an adjunct or hobby, or one's main profession).  There's a
reason that some of the central GNU development tools not only
support but *require* out of src building.  One is that they
(GNU developers) wish to emphasize that this is a standard
practice which users ought to be well-aware of.  Another is that
it allows non-priviledged users to build from a readonly source
tree easily.  A third is that it supports the easy production of
binaries for multiple distinct computer architectures from one
source tree on one or many machines (many, if the src tree is
existing on a remote filesystem like NFS or SAMBA which is
mounted by many users' individual boxen).

I've had the unpleasant experience of offering to test-build
project code for people promoting their pet projects, on a
OS/platform that they don't possess, only to be scolded for
"doing something weird" when their build apparatus won't work
for doing an out of src build.  It's these people who are
clueless and don't even _document_ their sub-standard approach
to creating project kits, that make life a little less enjoyable
for the avid developer/hacker.

   Regards,
       Soren 'somian' Andersen

--