compiling qt 4.4

Joachim Schiele
is it possibl to compile qt 4.4 with gcc 4.3 at all yet in mingw?

Re: compiling qt 4.4

John E. / TDM
Joachim Schiele wrote:
> is it possibl to compile qt 4.4 with gcc 4.3 at all yet in mingw?

Since no one else has responded to your original post yet, I'll kick in
a /qualified/ yes: I have successfully built Qt 4.4.0 using one of my
experimental distributions (<http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/>), and as
I type am checking GCC 4.3.2-tdm-1 with Qt 4.4.2 to make sure it can
still be done.

However, building Qt with the GCC 4.3.0 alpha from MinGW may require one
or more fixes or workarounds -- there are several known bugs and
probably quite a few unknown ones. A bug report in MinGW's bug tracker
would be very much appreciated for any of these you encounter.

-John E.

Re: compiling qt 4.4

John E. / TDM
(Resent due to black hole...)

Joachim Schiele wrote:
> is it possibl to compile qt 4.4 with gcc 4.3 at all yet in mingw?

Since no one else has responded to your original post yet, I'll kick in
a /qualified/ yes: I have successfully built Qt 4.4.0 using one of my
experimental distributions (<http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/>), and as
I type am checking GCC 4.3.2-tdm-1 with Qt 4.4.2 to make sure it can
still be done.

However, building Qt with the GCC 4.3.0 alpha from MinGW may require one
or more fixes or workarounds -- there are several known bugs and
probably quite a few unknown ones. A bug report in MinGW's bug tracker
would be very much appreciated for any of these you encounter.

-John E.

Re: compiling qt 4.4

Joachim Schiele
On Sonntag 28 September 2008, John E. / TDM wrote:
that is good to know, thank your for that info. i will try your build
tomorrow...

really, thanks!

> (Resent due to black hole...)
>
> Joachim Schiele wrote:
> > is it possibl to compile qt 4.4 with gcc 4.3 at all yet in mingw?
>
> Since no one else has responded to your original post yet, I'll kick in
> a /qualified/ yes: I have successfully built Qt 4.4.0 using one of my
> experimental distributions (<http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/>), and as
> I type am checking GCC 4.3.2-tdm-1 with Qt 4.4.2 to make sure it can
> still be done.
>
> However, building Qt with the GCC 4.3.0 alpha from MinGW may require one
> or more fixes or workarounds -- there are several known bugs and
> probably quite a few unknown ones. A bug report in MinGW's bug tracker
> would be very much appreciated for any of these you encounter.
>
> -John E.

Re: compiling qt 4.4

John E. / TDM
Joachim Schiele wrote:
> On Sonntag 28 September 2008, John E. / TDM wrote:
> that is good to know, thank your for that info. i will try your build
> tomorrow...

If you do, there is a single change you'll need to make in the Qt
sources (I used Qt 4.4.2).

In src/gui/inputmethod/qwininputcontext_win.cpp, right before line 506
(bool QWinInputContext::endComposition()), I had to add the declaration
of qt_sendSpontaneousEvent:

extern bool qt_sendSpontaneousEvent(QObject *, QEvent *);

Otherwise, it's undeclared before the first use at line 539.

Cheers,
John E.

Re: compiling qt 4.4

John E. / TDM
Joachim Schiele wrote:
> On Sonntag 28 September 2008, John E. / TDM wrote:
> that is good to know, thank your for that info. i will try your build
> tomorrow...

If you do, there is a single change you'll need to make in the Qt
sources (I used Qt 4.4.2).

In src/gui/inputmethod/qwininputcontext_win.cpp, right before line 506
(bool QWinInputContext::endComposition()), I had to add the declaration
of qt_sendSpontaneousEvent:

extern bool qt_sendSpontaneousEvent(QObject *, QEvent *);

Otherwise, it's undeclared before the first use at line 539.

Cheers,
John E.
(2nd sending due to SourceForge issues)

Re: compiling qt 4.4

John E. / TDM
Joachim Schiele wrote:
> On Sonntag 28 September 2008, John E. / TDM wrote:
> that is good to know, thank your for that info. i will try your build
> tomorrow...

If you do, there is a single change you'll need to make in the Qt
sources (I used Qt 4.4.2).

In src/gui/inputmethod/qwininputcontext_win.cpp, right before line 506
(bool QWinInputContext::endComposition()), I had to add the declaration
of qt_sendSpontaneousEvent:

extern bool qt_sendSpontaneousEvent(QObject *, QEvent *);

Otherwise, it's undeclared before the first use at line 539.

Cheers,
John E.
(3rd sending due to SourceForge issues)

Re: compiling qt 4.4

Joachim Schiele
On Montag 29 September 2008, John E. / TDM wrote:
it did not work from scratch. the error is at [1]

a fix for this issue was found on [2]. should i report any error/bug?

i removed c:\mingw and installed 'tdm-mingw-1.808.3-f1.exe'. I really love
this software distribution as it is clean and simple. thanks for that good
work!

[1] http://lastlog.de/misc/error-windows-gcc-4.3.2-tdm-1_-qt-4.4.2.txt
[2]
http://www.nabble.com/Problem-compile-Qt-4.4.2-with-latest-w32api-td19592075.html

Joachim Schiele wrote:
> it did not work from scratch. the error is at [1]
>
> a fix for this issue was found on [2]. should i report any error/bug?

I'm not sure. I didn't encounter this; possibly because I used previous
versions of w32api and mingw-runtime (I don't know whether this was the
case or not). At any rate this isn't a GCC bug, and it seems Chris
Sutcliffe has a good handle on what's happening there.

> i removed c:\mingw and installed 'tdm-mingw-1.808.3-f1.exe'. I really love
> this software distribution as it is clean and simple. thanks for that good
> work!

You're welcome. I'd like to put in a plug for the official MinGW GCC
though; if you have the time and inclination to determine why Qt won't
compile under the 4.3.0 alpha, any information you provide (particularly
in the form of a Qt, MinGW or GCC bug report) would be very welcome.

-John E.

Re: compiling qt 4.4

Uwe R.
Hi!

John E. / TDM wrote
If you do, there is a single change you'll need to make in the Qt
sources (I used Qt 4.4.2).

In src/gui/inputmethod/qwininputcontext_win.cpp, right before line 506
(bool QWinInputContext::endComposition()), I had to add the declaration
of qt_sendSpontaneousEvent:

extern bool qt_sendSpontaneousEvent(QObject *, QEvent *);

I have QT 4.4.3 and using also mingw4.3 alpha.
Inserting the extern code in qwininputcontext_win.cpp brought me nearly through
the whole compilation process (after changing sspi.h and the problem with winapi 3.12).

Now it hangs again
c:\mingw\bin.../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.3.0/include/c++/bits/boost_concept_check.h
l.483 error invalid initialization of not-constant reference of type
WebCore::TimerHeapElement of temporary value of type
WebCore::TimerHeapElement
(german translation of error message)
it appear during compilation of
c:/Qt/src/3rdparty/webkits/WebCore
it also complains about no match for operator (l.62, l.529, l.553)
in __gnu_cxx:_ComparableConcept<WebCore::TimerHeapIterator>*)this-> __gnu_cxx:: ...

Hope you can help again.

Best regards
Uwe

Re: compiling qt 4.4

alpha_one_x86

Uwe R. wrote:

> Hi!
>

> John E. / TDM wrote:
>
>> If you do, there is a single change you'll need to make in the Qt
>> sources (I used Qt 4.4.2).
>>
>> In src/gui/inputmethod/qwininputcontext_win.cpp, right before line 506
>> (bool QWinInputContext::endComposition()), I had to add the declaration
>> of qt_sendSpontaneousEvent:
>>
>> extern bool qt_sendSpontaneousEvent(QObject *, QEvent *);
>>

> I have QT 4.4.3 and using also mingw4.3 alpha.
> Inserting the extern code in qwininputcontext_win.cpp brought me nearly
> through
> the whole compilation process (after changing sspi.h and the problem with
> winapi 3.12).
>
> Now it hangs again
> c:\mingw\bin.../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.3.0/include/c++/bits/boost_concept_check.h
> l.483 error invalid initialization of not-constant reference of type
> WebCore::TimerHeapElement of temporary value of type
> WebCore::TimerHeapElement
> (german translation of error message)
> it appear during compilation of
> c:/Qt/src/3rdparty/webkits/WebCore
> it also complains about no match for operator (l.62, l.529, l.553)
> in __gnu_cxx:_ComparableConcept<WebCore::TimerHeapIterator>*)this->
> __gnu_cxx:: ...
>
> Hope you can help again.
>
> Best regards
> Uwe

Same, I have multiple bug for compil Qt projet with mingw with gcc 4.3.0

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.