Quantcast

compiling against Windows SDK

Mark Hayden
I've been trying to compile against the actual Windows SDK (headers & libraries) with mingw gcc and ran into lots of incompatibilities.  Has anyone done this and had success?  Any pointers for how to make that work?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Re: compiling against Windows SDK

J Decker
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows_with_MinGW#w32api_and_MinGW_runtime_library

No, each compiler has their own specific set of headers which need to
be used... because different compilers use different specific features
(pragma's for instance).

openwatcom has their own, lccwin32 has their own, gcc (mingw) have their own...

a more up to date w32api is found with mingw64

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Mark Hayden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been trying to compile against the actual Windows SDK (headers & libraries) with mingw gcc and ran into lots of incompatibilities.  Has anyone done this and had success?  Any pointers for how to make that work?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

Re: compiling against Windows SDK

J Decker
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Mark Hayden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been trying to compile against the actual Windows SDK (headers & libraries) with mingw gcc and ran into lots of incompatibilities.  Has anyone done this and had success?  Any pointers for how to make that work?

what are you missing from w32api that the windows SDK has definitions for?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

Re: compiling against Windows SDK

Tor Lillqvist
> what are you missing from w32api that the windows SDK has definitions for?

Note: When replying, please be careful to not quote the Microsoft
headers verbatim.

Re: compiling against Windows SDK

Ross Ridge
Mark Hayden writes:
>I've been trying to compile against the actual Windows SDK (headers
>& libraries) with mingw gcc and ran into lots of incompatibilities.
>Has anyone done this and had success?  Any pointers for how to make
>that work?

For the most part the Windows SDK headers aren't incompatible with GCC.
If there one particular header file you need that doesn't exist in
win32api heapers or is missing something you need, then you can try
just using that one header with from the Windows SDK and use win32api
for the rest.

It's also possible to only use Windows SDK headers, and avoid using the
win32api headers entirely, but you need to fix a number of problems in key
header files.  I used to just modify the headers, but the Windows SDK
has actually gotten a bit more compatible and now I use wrappers to fix
the problems.

There are some header files and libraries that are pretty much
fundementally incompatible with GCC, like GDI+.  If you want to use GDI+,
you'll need to use a Microsoft compiler.

                                        Ross Ridge