Quantcast

can someone explain all this unix tools in mingw?

can someone explain all this unix tools in mingw?

Chan Oak
can someone explain to me what these commands or tools do and what its use for?

I know cc and gcc for compiling and gdb for debugging

addr2line
ar
as
c++filt
cpp
dlltool
dllwrap
elfedit
envsubst
gcc-ar
gcc-nm
gcc-ranlib
gcov
gdbserver
gettext
gprof
ld.bfd
ld
ngettext
nm
objcopy
objdump
ranlib
readelf
redir
reimp
res2coff
size
strings
windmc
windres

Re: can someone explain all this unix tools in mingw?

Earnie Boyd
On 2/6/2017 10:09 PM, Chan Oak wrote:
> can someone explain to me what these commands or tools do and what its
> use for?

This question requires the RTFM acronym be applied.

> I know cc and gcc for compiling and gdb for debugging

Google is your friend for finding knowledge.  This list does not welcome
a query that you can easily find an answer via the information
searchable on the world wide web.

Re: can someone explain all this unix tools in mingw?

> From: Chan Oak <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 22:09:24 -0500
>
> can someone explain to me what these commands or tools do and what its use for?

Most of them are from the GNU Binutils package, so you will find them
documented in the Binutils manuals.

cpp and c++filt are from the GCC package.  gcc-ar, gcc-nm, and
gcc-ranlib are also from GCC, and I was never able to understand their
purpose (they are identical to ar, ranlib, and nm, respectively).
gettext and ngettext are from Gettext, and redir is a MinGW utility.

In general, typing "program --help" will show you some usage info
which will go a long way towards giving you an idea what the program
does.