bash 4 for MSYS

Paul J. Hentschel
Hello everyone. I am new to the list. I have been playing around
with building bash 4.1 for MSYS. I have what I think is a working
build, but I was hoping to get some feedback on how to go about
testing it, besides just installing and using it and see if anything
goes wrong.

I have a repository on github here if anyone is interested:
https://github.com/hpmachining/msys-bash-build
You need to checkout branch 4.1 after cloning, master is just a
few scripts. I didn't include the bash source or upstream patches
in the repository, but there is a script, download_sources, that
will download them. Or, of course,  you can download them manually
from here: https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/

BTW, the reason I am doing version 4.1 is because after this
version, there is a problem with command substitution not
working. A simple $(echo ls) or `echo ls` doesn't work.

Paul Hentschel

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: bash 4 for MSYS

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "Paul J. Hentschel" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 19:34:38 -0400
>
> Hello everyone. I am new to the list. I have been playing around
> with building bash 4.1 for MSYS. I have what I think is a working
> build, but I was hoping to get some feedback on how to go about
> testing it, besides just installing and using it and see if anything
> goes wrong.

Thank you for your work.

Does Bash have a test suite?  If it does, I'd start by running it and
making sure all the tests pass.  Maybe you did that already.

The next step I'd recommend is to run the configure and make parts of
building complex packages, and see that this works as well as the
existing MSYS Bash does.

Re: bash 4 for MSYS

> From: "Paul J. Hentschel" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 19:34:38 -0400
>
> BTW, the reason I am doing version 4.1 is because after this
> version, there is a problem with command substitution not
> working. A simple $(echo ls) or `echo ls` doesn't work.

I see that MSYS2 has Bash 4.3, so perhaps you could look in their
patches to see how they solved this.

Re: bash 4 for MSYS

Paul J. Hentschel
> Does Bash have a test suite?  If it does, I'd start by running it and
making sure all
> the tests pass.  Maybe you did that already.

I did run the test suite but there are issues with both the official MSYS
bash package
and my attempt at a port, so I don't really know how to interpret the
results. For one
thing, a few of the tests can't find the msys-1.0.dll. I will provide the
log files if anyone
wants to see them.

> The next step I'd recommend is to run the configure and make parts of
building
> complex packages, and see that this works as well as the existing MSYS
Bash does.

I built a few smaller packages then built gtk2 without any issues, so it's
looking good
so far. Thank you for your suggestions.

Paul

Re: bash 4 for MSYS

Paul J. Hentschel
> > BTW, the reason I am doing version 4.1 is because after this version,
> > there is a problem with command substitution not working. A simple
> > $(echo ls) or `echo ls` doesn't work.
>
> I see that MSYS2 has Bash 4.3, so perhaps you could look in their patches
to see
> how they solved this.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I wanted to get a working bash 4 build to use
for
comparison before trying to figure this out. If anyone knows what specific
files in the bash source I should look at, that would be a big help.

Paul

Re: bash 4 for MSYS

MinGW-users mailing list

On 7/16/2017 7:32 PM, Paul J. Hentschel wrote:

>>> BTW, the reason I am doing version 4.1 is because after this version,
>>> there is a problem with command substitution not working. A simple
>>> $(echo ls) or `echo ls` doesn't work.
>>
>> I see that MSYS2 has Bash 4.3, so perhaps you could look in their patches
> to see
>> how they solved this.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that. I wanted to get a working bash 4 build to use
> for
> comparison before trying to figure this out. If anyone knows what specific
> files in the bash source I should look at, that would be a big help.

As already mentioned in response to another post MSYS is an old (very
old) version of Cygwin.  You may need to build a debugging version of
MSYS itself and use strace to find failures within the MSYS DLL.  I can
imagine that BASH has evolved along with Cygwin and trying to build a
newer BASH using an older version of Cygwin would not work well.

You might try first to build BASH without the readline library to test
just the bash portion.  Readline is bloat that isn't required by bash
but is helpful for keyboard and screen management.