Winsock2.h copyright

anon321
This text is at the top of the winsock2.h file:

 /*
  Definitions for winsock 2
  Contributed by the WINE project.

  Portions Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1988, 1993
  The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

  Portions Copyright (c) 1993 by Digital Equipment Corporation.
 */

-----

What obligations do I have if I use mingw to build a C program that includes "winsock2.h"? It is unclear under what (if any) license I can use this code. Thanks for any help in understanding this issue.

P.S. Not that it matters, but I have no connection with the WINE project, the University of California, or with Digital Equipment Corporation, or even with Microsoft. I'm just an individual wanting to legally use the winsock library without using the Microsoft compilers.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Winsock2.h copyright

Ross Ridge
anon321 writes:
>What obligations do I have if I use mingw to build a C program that
>includes "winsock2.h"?

None.  The resulting program won't include any of the copyrightable
work contained "winsock2.h".  It's the same as if you used Microsoft's
header, none of their licences permit you to redistribute WinSock2.h,
but you can still legally redistribute programs that use it.

                                        Ross Ridge

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Winsock2.h copyright

anon321
> From: Ross Ridge
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Winsock2.h copyright
>
> anon321 writes:
> >What obligations do I have if I use mingw to build a C program that
> >includes "winsock2.h"?
>
> None.  The resulting program won't include any of the copyrightable
> work contained "winsock2.h".  It's the same as if you used Microsoft's
> header, none of their licences permit you to redistribute WinSock2.h,
> but you can still legally redistribute programs that use it.
>
>                                         Ross Ridge

Thanks so much Ross for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

I also found a related post over at http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2001-February/000181.html
that gives a possible legal basis for the use of copyrighted header files.

So, between these two opinions, plus the fact that I can always just create my own header file for the subset of socket.h that is needed, it seems like this won't be an issue.

2) Thread hijacking