Windows c: drive

Haris Bogdanovich
Hi.

Where is Windows c: drive mounted in Mingw ?

Thanks

Re: Windows c: drive

Antoni Jaume

2011/7/6 Haris Bogdanovich <[hidden email]>
Hi.

Where is Windows c: drive mounted in Mingw ?

You edit fstab in /etc

Re: Windows c: drive

Earnie Boyd
Antoni Jaume wrote:
> 2011/7/6 Haris Bogdanovich <[hidden email]>
>
>> **
>> Hi.
>>
>> Where is Windows c: drive mounted in Mingw ?
>>

> You edit fstab in /etc

If the OP means MSYS each drive letter can be accessed simply by /c etc.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Windows c: drive

Haris Bogdanovich

> You edit fstab in /etc

There is no /etc folder when I start Mingw shell.
There is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc\fstab file with the first line:
C:\MinW\ /mingw
but the folder /mingw doesn't appear in Mingw shell ?

Re: Windows c: drive

Antoni Jaume

2011/7/6 Haris Bogdanovich <[hidden email]>
> You edit fstab in /etc

There is no /etc folder when I start Mingw shell.
There is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc\fstab file with the first line:
C:\MinW\ /mingw
but the folder /mingw doesn't appear in Mingw shell ?

In my installation I can do

AJAUME@AJAUME-PC ~

$ cat /etc/fstab

C:\MinGW\ /mingw

AJAUME@AJAUME-PC ~

$ ls /c/mingw

COPYING include

COPYING.LIB info

MinGW-5.1.4.exe installed.ini

MinGW.url lib

bin libexec

binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz man

binutils-2.19.1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz mingw32

d2d_headers.tar.tgz msys

doc share

gcc-core-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz unins000.dat

gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz unins000.exe

gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz uninst.exe

gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz var

gcc-g77-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz w32api-3.11.tar.gz

gcc-g77-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz

gzip-1.3.12-1-setup.exe

AJAUME@AJAUME-PC ~

$

 I think you should see something equivalent.

Re: Windows c: drive

On 06/07/11 19:42, Haris Bogdanovich wrote:
>> You edit fstab in /etc

To mount C drive?  You do no such thing.  As Earnie has already
intimated, it is *automatically* mounted on /c, *irrespective* of the
content, (or lack thereof), of /etc/fstab.

Even for user defined mount points, you don't need to edit /etc/fstab;
indeed, the preferred method is, e.g.:

  $ mount c:/usr/local  /usr/local

to mount the real windows path c:\usr\local on the MSYS mount point at
/usr/local; (if you want /usr/local, it doesn't need to physically live
within the physical directory automatically mounted on /usr).

> There is no /etc folder when I start Mingw shell.

Neither is there any such thing as MinGW shell; do you perhaps mean MSYS
shell in MinGW personality?  If "yes", then there *must* be a /etc
directory, because the shell cannot be started if it is missing...

> There is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc\fstab file with the first line:

...and this is the mount table file within it, for C:\MinGW\msys\1.0
will itself be mounted as the MSYS file system root.

> C:\MinW\ /mingw

Allowing that this is a typo for "C:\MinGW  /mingw", then...

> but the folder /mingw doesn't appear in Mingw shell ?

...yes it does; try "ls /mingw" and you will see its content.  The
physical directory need not exist to support the mount point, but it
will help with tab completion if you create it:

  $ mkdir `cd / && pwd -W`/mingw

should do this for you, IIRC; (I don't have a windows box to check on
right now).