Quantcast

Windows SDK header files question

Georgi Petrov
Hello,

I'm trying to develop a EVR (Vista/7 specific video presentation API)
renderer for MPlayer on MSYS/MinGW. The problem is that I have Windows
SDK v7.1 and I need evr.h from it. If I try to copy it to MinGW's
include directory as well as the 12 header files it includes, the
compilation is close to impossible. I have a TON of errors just by
including evr.h, nothing else. I investigated and found that I can't
use the Windows SDK header files directly with MinGW, because it ships
with its own header files, which are sometimes very, very different.
The problem is that Media Foundation/Enhanced Video Renderer header
files are not part of MinGW's header files.

What should I do?

Re: Windows SDK header files question

JonY-3

0xED74C077.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Windows SDK header files question

Georgi Petrov
I created my own evr.h, which (I hope) works. Right now I'm developing
using it. Should I submit it somewhere in order to be available by
other developers?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Georgi Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to develop a EVR (Vista/7 specific video presentation API)
> renderer for MPlayer on MSYS/MinGW. The problem is that I have Windows
> SDK v7.1 and I need evr.h from it. If I try to copy it to MinGW's
> include directory as well as the 12 header files it includes, the
> compilation is close to impossible. I have a TON of errors just by
> including evr.h, nothing else. I investigated and found that I can't
> use the Windows SDK header files directly with MinGW, because it ships
> with its own header files, which are sometimes very, very different.
> The problem is that Media Foundation/Enhanced Video Renderer header
> files are not part of MinGW's header files.
>
> What should I do?

Re: Windows SDK header files question

Earnie Boyd
Georgi Petrov wrote:
> I created my own evr.h, which (I hope) works. Right now I'm developing
> using it. Should I submit it somewhere in order to be available by
> other developers?

If you've created the header using documentation from MSDN and not
referring to the actual MS supplied source file then you can create a
patch issue at the MinGW project SF page.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Earnie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Georgi Petrov wrote:
>> I created my own evr.h, which (I hope) works. Right now I'm developing
>> using it. Should I submit it somewhere in order to be available by
>> other developers?
>
> If you've created the header using documentation from MSDN and not
> referring to the actual MS supplied source file then you can create a
> patch issue at the MinGW project SF page.

I'm afraid that this is not the case. I modified the evr.h file from
Windows SDK. I suppose this is unacceptable from a license point of
view?

Re: Windows SDK header files question

Georgi Petrov
Update: this evr.h file is generated from the Microsoft IDL compiler
and describes the EVR COM interface. In this case I'm not sure if
there are any licensing issues.

Georgi Petrov wrote:
> Update: this evr.h file is generated from the Microsoft IDL compiler
> and describes the EVR COM interface. In this case I'm not sure if
> there are any licensing issues.

That would depend on the source of the file that was used by the IDL
compiler to generate the evr.h file and any restrictions puts on the
output of their IDL compiler.  I don't have the answer to the questions
nor the time to research it.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Windows SDK header files question

Georgi Petrov
Hello,

We agreed with JonY to improve evr.h from mingw-w64. It's present, but
some interfaces or other stuff is missing, because it was never used.
I will help "from the MS side" and he will improve the clean room
implementation without looking at MS headers.

Are you, mingw guys, positive that when evr.h (and some other headers
around it) become good enough, you are willing to include them in
mingw?

I plan to temporary include evr.h from mingw-w64 into MPlayer while
I'm developing and improving it (with help from JonY) and once it is
good enough, I will submit it in mingw. As far as I understand ZPL and
GPL licenses (mingw-w64 and mingw) are compatible and this wouldn't be
a problem, right?

Greetings,
Georgi

Georgi Petrov wrote:

> I plan to temporary include evr.h from mingw-w64 into MPlayer while
> I'm developing and improving it (with help from JonY) and once it is
> good enough, I will submit it in mingw. As far as I understand ZPL and
> GPL licenses (mingw-w64 and mingw) are compatible and this wouldn't be
> a problem, right?

We cannot include ZPL license with MinGW.  ATM it must be public domain.
 We've discussed changing to a MIT license but we have not been able to
get in touch with the creator of w32api.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Earnie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Georgi Petrov wrote:
>

>> I plan to temporary include evr.h from mingw-w64 into MPlayer while
>> I'm developing and improving it (with help from JonY) and once it is
>> good enough, I will submit it in mingw. As far as I understand ZPL and
>> GPL licenses (mingw-w64 and mingw) are compatible and this wouldn't be
>> a problem, right?
>>

> We cannot include ZPL license with MinGW.  ATM it must be public domain.
>  We've discussed changing to a MIT license but we have not been able to
> get in touch with the creator of w32api.

I understand. It means that MPlayer will have to host this file
externally. Thank you.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Georgi Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Earnie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Georgi Petrov wrote:
>>

>>> I plan to temporary include evr.h from mingw-w64 into MPlayer while
>>> I'm developing and improving it (with help from JonY) and once it is
>>> good enough, I will submit it in mingw. As far as I understand ZPL and
>>> GPL licenses (mingw-w64 and mingw) are compatible and this wouldn't be
>>> a problem, right?
>>>

>> We cannot include ZPL license with MinGW.  ATM it must be public domain.
>>  We've discussed changing to a MIT license but we have not been able to
>> get in touch with the creator of w32api.
>>

> I understand. It means that MPlayer will have to host this file
> externally. Thank you.

Hi, I made a mistake. Mingw-w64 is ZPL itself, but the header files
are public domain. This means that I can take evr.h from mingw-w64 and
submit it later to mingw, is this right? The file is in the public
domain, for sure.

I will contribute and make it better as a part from MPlayer and when
it's good enough, I will submit it to mingw.

I hope this solution is fine?