Quantcast

Windows Defender detects Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe

Windows Defender detects Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe

Jacob Mossberg UK
Hello,

My Windows Defender detects a Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe. The detected item is "Trojan:Win32/Clavior.B!cl" according to Windows Defender. I am running Windows 10.

The following link shows more information from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan:Win32/Clavior.B!cl

Have anyone else experienced this problem with collect2.exe?

Best regards,
Jacob

Re: Windows Defender detects Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe

Earnie Boyd
On 1/26/2017 8:32 AM, Jacob Mossberg UK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My Windows Defender detects a Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe. The detected item is "Trojan:Win32/Clavior.B!cl" according to Windows Defender. I am running Windows 10.
>
> The following link shows more information from Microsoft:
> https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan:Win32/Clavior.B!cl
>
> Have anyone else experienced this problem with collect2.exe?

One of a couple of possibilities:

1) A false positive
2) Your system has become infected

Try reinstalling the gcc package.

Re: Windows Defender detects Trojan in file C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe

Jacob Mossberg UK
Thanks for the answer Earnie,

Some additional information:
A colleague of mine installed MinGW from scratch on a separate computer and Windows Defender
immediately complained about the same file:
C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe

I will try reinstalling the gcc package on my computer and see what happens.

On 1/27/2017 1:14 AM, Jacob Mossberg UK wrote:
> Thanks for the answer Earnie,
>
> Some additional information:
> A colleague of mine installed MinGW from scratch on a separate computer and Windows Defender
> immediately complained about the same file:
> C:\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\5.3.0\collect2.exe
>
> I will try reinstalling the gcc package on my computer and see what happens.

You and your colleague need to report the false positive to Windows
Defender.