Using MinGW beside Open Watcom

lollisoft
Hi,

I am struggling with using two compilers. I don't liked to port all my code thus I tried to start porting only my base library.
The reason for using MinGW is the ability to have a more modern compiler and to enable me using more third party
libraries.

The problem are probably different vtable layouts.

I have identified the problem with the vtable layout by creating a small sample application and DLL.

I have a pure abstract class and a implementing class declaration with it's member functions implemented in a cpp file.
If I keep the order of the methods in the implementing class declaration equal to these in the pure abstract class, then
all is fine. Otherwise I will effectively call wrong methods.

Does anyone have some solution to this problem, or is there a compiler switch (ABI)?

I am using __stdcall for all my methods and __cdecl for all my C functions (the one DLL that is compiled with MinGW).

Currently I run into these problems in my UnitTest code as this requires a more modern compiler due to the UnitTest
class library. But I'll expect similar problems when starting coding stuff using MinGW that is used from Open Watcom
or vica versa.

Thanks

Lothar

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de