Using GCC 4.x?

Qu0ll

I have a project which seems to require GCC 4.x and it appears that MinGW uses GCC 3.x.  Is there a way to install a 4.x version of GCC in MinGW?

Thanks,

-JCT

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Using GCC 4.x?

Greg Chicares
On 2009-05-20 12:47Z, John C. Turnbull wrote:
> I have a project which seems to require GCC 4.x and it appears that MinGW
> uses GCC 3.x.  Is there a way to install a 4.x version of GCC in MinGW?

There's a "testing" release of gcc-4.3.0 here:
Because it's a "testing" release, you'll have to install it manually,
as discussed in the release notes and the mailing-list archives.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Using GCC 4.x?

Qu0ll
> There's a "testing" release of gcc-4.3.0 here:
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
> Because it's a "testing" release, you'll have to install it manually,
> as discussed in the release notes and the mailing-list archives.

Thanks Greg for the prompt response.

Do you know when this version will go into production?  I don't fancy a
manual install at this stage.

Cheers,

John

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Using GCC 4.x?

Greg Chicares
On 2009-05-20 13:18Z, John C. Turnbull wrote:
>> There's a "testing" release of gcc-4.3.0 here:
>>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
>> Because it's a "testing" release, you'll have to install it manually,
>> as discussed in the release notes and the mailing-list archives.
>
> Thanks Greg for the prompt response.
>
> Do you know when this version will go into production?  I don't fancy a
> manual install at this stage.

The alpha release is a year old, and there has been no beta release yet,
so I believe it would be premature to speculate about when a production
release will be available.

Activity continues behind the scenes, but AIUI the focus is on known
issues, e.g.:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/28941
Packaging further intermediate MinGW releases now might yield only
confusion in return for considerable labor. The alpha release drew few
testing reports; perhaps most MinGW users these days want production-
grade tools only, or maybe it's just that the important issues have
already been identified.

You could try tdragon's or Cygwin's gcc-4 in the meantime.

2) Thread hijacking