Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Charles Wilson-2
I'm pleased to announce that msys-perl has been updated from the
10-year-old 5.6.1 (April 9, 2001), to the young and spry 5.8.8 (Feb 2,
2006).

To install or upgrade:
        mingw-get update

        mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-bin
        mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-man   (optional)
        mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-html  (optional)
        mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-doc   (optional)
        mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-lic   (optional)
Obviously, you may need to use 'mingw-get install' instead of 'mingw-get
upgrade' if you do not currently have msys-perl installed.

REQUIREMENTS
==================
This build contains a workaround for a POSIX-allowable but unexpected
msys behavior in MSYS-1.0.16 and earlier.  However, best results will be
obtained using MSYS-1.0.17 or later.  For more information, see:
        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/35771/focus=35793

There are new runtime dependencies:
        msys-libbz2-dll
        msys-libexpat-dll
        msys-libxml2-dll
to go along with the existing ones that perl-5.6.1 had
        msys-zlib-dll
        msys-libgdbm-dll
        msys-libcrypt-dll
        msys-core-bin
These will be installed automatically by mingw-get if you do not already
have them installed.

In addition, the perlrebase script needs the following, but they will
NOT be installed automatically by mingw-get.  If you don't already have
them installed, you'll need to install them manually via 'mingw-get
install':
        msys-findutils-bin
        msys-grep-bin
        msys-sed-bin
        msys-rebase-bin
        EITHER mingw32-binutils-bin OR msys-binutils-bin
Most installations will already have these packages, except perhaps
msys-rebase-bin.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
==================
This updated perl release would not have been possible without the
earlier efforts of the msysgit folks, who have long provided a similar
port of perl-5.8.8 for their fork of the msys environment.

In addition, the efforts of LRN were invaluable: (a) providing an
initial port to OUR version of msys of perl-5.8.8, (b) tracking down and
debugging many newly discovered porting mishaps of the new perl on msys,
in both perl proper, the various extensions, and even in MSYS itself,
(c) providing updated versions of the build script which greatly
simplified package creation, given the issues related to DESTDIR
installs on msys, and (d) prodding me to finally get this release
published for general use.

Finally, Reini Urban, the cygwin-perl maintainer, provided assistance
(and example code, patches, and buildscripts), both on several mailing
lists and via his old cygwin perl-5.8.8-4 package.

CHANGES
==================

The new release provides many improvements over the older version. The
following is a list culled from
        http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2002/07/18/580ann/
and summarizes the changes from the 5.6.x series to the 5.8.x series.
For changes between minor revisions in the 5.8.x series, see
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl581delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl582delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl583delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl584delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl585delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl586delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl587delta.pod
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl588delta.pod

For MSYS-specific changes see the appropriate heading below.

PERL-5.8.x CHANGES
==================

- New IO Implementation:
  the new PerlIO implementation is both a portable stdio implementation
  (at the source code level) and a flexible new framework for richer
  I/O behaviours

- Better Numeric Accuracy:
  previous Perls relied on vendors' string-to-number and back
  routines which in some cases proved to be too much trust
  leading to nonportable and wrong behaviours

- 64-bit support:
  64-bit support is now considered to be mature -- if your platform
  supports 64-bit integers or address space, you can compile Perl to
  use those. (MSYS-PERL is compiled to support 64bit ints)

- Safe Signals:
  in previous versions of Perl signals could corrupt Perl's internal
  state

- Many New Modules:
  Digest::MD5, File::Temp, Filter::Simple, libnet, List::Util,
  Memoize, MIME::Base64, Scalar::Util, Storable, Switch,
  Test::More, Test::Simple, Text::Balanced, Tie::File, ...

- Extensive Regression Testing:
  Perl has now almost six times as many tests as in 5.6,
  and the code is test built daily on several platforms

- Better Unicode Support (NOT APPLICABLE TO MSYS-PERL)
- New Threads Implementation (NOT APPLICABLE TO MSYS-PERL)

Incompatibilities

- BINARY INCOMPATIBLE:
  mainly because of the PerlIO introduction, Perl 5.8 is not
  binary compatible with any earlier Perl release, XS MODULES
  WILL HAVE TO BE RECOMPILED!

- Hashing Order Changed Once Again:
  the function used in the implementation of hashes was changed
  to a better one once again, but your code shouldn't be expecting
  any particular key ordering

- Attributes For my Now Handled At Run-Time:
  the attributes for my() are now run-time, as opposed to compile time

- REF(...) instead of SCALAR(...):
  to be consistent with ref()'s results, references to references
  now stringify as "REF(...)"

Nomenclature Change

- What the "Camel III" book called an "IO discipline"
  is now called an "IO layer"

Deprecations

- dump():
  the functionality of the dump command is now considered obsolete

- Pseudohashes:
  the user-visible implementation of pseudohashes is going to be removed
  and replaced with something cleaner (also, the internal implementation
  will have to go since it was found to slow down the overall hash
  access)

- Use of tainted data in exec LIST and system LIST:
  now gives a warning, but will become fatal error in a future release

- tr///C, tr///U:
  the interface was found to be a mistake, pack("C0", ...) and
  pack("U0", ...) can be used instead

Known Problems

- The Compiler Suite: bytecompiling and compiling still do not work

- Lvalue subroutines: still experimental

- Interaction of local() and tie(): the exact semantics are still in
  flux

- Tied/Magical Array/Hash Elements Do Not Autovivify

- Self-tying arrays and hashes: currently explicitly disallowed

MSYS-PERL CHANGES
==================
Relative to msys-perl-5.6.1_2-2, this new perl release contains a large
number of additional modules. Some, as noted above, were imported into
perl core upstream in the 5.8.x series; others were added to the msys
distribution as necessary prerequisites of a working CPAN.

Due to the increased number of extensions, AND the fact that a good
percentage of them are XS (that is, C-based) extensions and provide
DLLs, msys-perl is now subject to the dreaded 'sync_with_child' problem
long suffered by modern perl on the cygwin platform.  We have adopted a
"solution" similar to theirs.  msys-perl now ships with a 'perlrebase'
script, which can be used to manipulate the ImageBase address of all of
those perl-related DLLs, so that they do not overlap.  This should fix
any "sync_with_child" issues *RELATED TO PERL*.

Other sync_with_child problems must be addressed using the full
'rebaseall' procedure; see the rebase documentation for more info.

Note that if you use CPAN to install additional modules, you may also
need to re-run 'perlrebase' after installing XS extensions. In addition,
the 'test' phase of the CPAN installation may fail.

- This release is compiled using -DDEBUGGING, which allows the use of
  the -D* perl commandline options.  This has a slight runtime
  performance impact, but the added convenience is worth the cost, IMO.
  See `perldoc perlrun'

- msys-perl now supports 64bit wide scalar values

- msys-perl does NOT support multithreaded operation. MSYS's own
  threading support is too primitive for perl's needs.

- Bundled extensions: the following list was adopted from cygwin's
  perl-5.8.8-4 package set.
        Algorithm-Diff-1.1902 Module-Build-0.2808
        Alias-2.32 Module-ScanDeps-0.75
        Archive-Tar-1.32 Module-Signature-0.55
        Archive-Zip-1.20 Net-Telnet-3.03
        B-Generate-1.09 PadWalker-1.5
        Compress-Bzip2-2.09 PAR-Dist-0.23
        Compress-Raw-Bzip2-2.005 Pod-Coverage-0.18
        Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.005 Pod-Escapes-1.04
        Compress-Zlib-2.005 podlators-2.0.5
        Config-Tiny-2.10 Pod-Readme-0.09
        CPAN-1.9102 Pod-Simple-3.05
        CPAN-Reporter-0.44 Probe-Perl-0.01
        Devel-Symdump-2.07 Proc-ProcessTable-0.41
        Digest-SHA-5.45 Regexp-Common-2.120
        ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.19 Tee-0.13
        ExtUtils-ParseXS-2.18 TermReadKey-2.30
        File-Copy-Recursive-0.33 Term-ReadLine-Gnu-1.16
        File-HomeDir-0.65 Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0302
        File-pushd-0.99 Test-Pod-1.26
        File-Temp-0.18 Test-Pod-Coverage-1.08
        Getopt-Long-2.36 Test-Reporter-1.27
        HTML-Parser-3.56 Text-Diff-0.35
        HTML-Tagset-3.10 URI-1.35
        IO-CaptureOutput-1.03 version-0.7203
        IO-Compress-Base-2.005 Win32API-File-0.1001
        IO-Compress-Bzip2-2.005 XML-LibXML-1.63
        IO-Compress-Zlib-2.005 XML-LibXML-Common-0.13
        IO-String-1.08 XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09
        IO-Zlib-1.05 XML-Parser-2.34
        IPC-Run3-0.037 XML-SAX-0.15
        libwww-perl-5.805 YAML-0.62
        Math-BigInt-FastCalc-0.15 YAML-Syck-0.88
        MD5-2.03

- Test results: perl core (after removing 'taint' failures)
        Failed 7/989 test scripts, 99.29% okay. 75/116701 subtests
        failed, 99.94% okay.
  The remaining failures are mostly related to symlinks. See the
  release notes for more information:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/perl/perl-5.8.8-1/

- Test results: extensions
  All tests passed, except for minor failures in five of the bundled
  extensions.

- Internal: msys-perl-5.6.1 was shipped with a giant mega patch.
msysgit's perl-5.8.8 cherry picked portions of that patch, but still
provided it as a monolithic lump, and then shipped a few minor
additional patches on top of that.  This version decomposed these
porting patches into a large number of smaller, fine grained patches,
each with a specific focus (functional: "fix build system", or
'area-related': "msys patches for the FOO extension").  It is hoped that
this will ease any future ports of newer perls by making the task of
forward porting the old patches somewhat less daunting.

As a side effect of this 'split the patches' effort, many pieces were
found to be unnecessary, and were discarded thus simplifying further the
msys port of perl.

ABOUT VERSIONS
===================
Why perl-5.8.8 and not perl-5.8.9? or 5.10.x, or 5.12.x -- or the soon
to be released 5.14.0?  Several reasons:
1) msysgit had already demonstrated that a port of 5.8.8 to msys was
   possible, and suitably reliable for production work.
2) Similarly, msysgit has demonstrated that perl-5.8.8 is sufficiently
   new to support many modern perl scripts, especially those bundled
   with 'git' -- an important short term goal for MinGW/MSYS is to
   provide a working msys port of git (msysgit's port, despite the
   project name, is actually a *native* MinGW version).
3) Walk before you run.  There were enough issues, especially related
   to the sync_with_child problem, simply getting perl-5.8.8 to work.
   All of these issues become more and more complex, with the newer perl
   releases...so, we tackle the problem where it is easier to solve
   (5.8.x) before moving on to the later perl releases.
Now, this is not to say that we do, or do not, plan to release
5.[10|12|14].x perls for msys at some time in the future.  We may, but
the timeline is completely up in the air.  I can say that it probably
won't be very soon.

Why the particular versions of extensions listed above? Isn't
CPAN-1.9102 very old?  Yes.  Yes it is.  However, these versions were
chosen because (a) they were current when cygwin's perl-5.8.8-4 package
was release, so we KNOW they work correctly with 5.8.8 and don't require
features from newer perl, and (b) cygwin-perl-5.8.8-4 already provides
any necessary patches for these versions of the extensions, not other
versions.

You are certainly welcome to update your local install by using CPAN to
d/l, compile, and install newer versions of any of these extensions --
but be aware of the sync_with_child issue related to XS extensions,
described above.

--
Chuck

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

David Gressett

I'm pleased to announce that msys-perl has been updated from the
10-year-old 5.6.1 (April 9, 2001), to the young and spry 5.8.8 (Feb 2,
2006).

To install or upgrade:
mingw-get update

mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-bin
mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-man (optional)
mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-html (optional)
mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-doc (optional)
mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-lic (optional)
Obviously, you may need to use 'mingw-get install' instead of 'mingw-get
upgrade' if you do not currently have msys-perl installed.

... huge snip ...

When I tried the upgrade I got a huge swarm of messages like the one below. I have never seen this before,
all previous mingw and msys upgrades and installs have worked perfectly.
mingw-get: *** WARNING *** c:\mingw\/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.6/unicode/In/IPAExtensions.pl:unlink failed; Permission denied

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Earnie Boyd
David Gressett wrote:
> When I tried the upgrade I got a huge swarm of messages like the one below. I have never seen this before,
> all previous mingw and msys upgrades and installs have worked perfectly.
> mingw-get: *** WARNING *** c:\mingw\/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.6/unicode/In/IPAExtensions.pl:unlink failed; Permission denied

Do you have something using the file?  Windows will not unlink an opened
file.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

a working msys port of git

lrn-2
On 27.04.2011 18:53, Charles Wilson wrote:
> an important short term goal for MinGW/MSYS is to
>     provide a working msys port of git (msysgit's port, despite the
>     project name, is actually a *native* MinGW version).
After poking git for a couple of weeks i can state the following:
1) mingw-git can be built completely from the source (from msysgit.git)
with existing mingw packages and some new ones, which are also built
with mingw (contrary to what msysgit devs do: they're using pre-built
binaries, or ancient mingw/msys binaries half of the time). And it works
well enough, i'm using it right now (although since i'm not a git guru,
my use of git tends to be simple). You can even get a diff for mainline
git by diffing msysgit.git against it (the diff is extensive, but
manageable, especially if generated files and file moves are filtered out).
2) git itself requires very little to build (besides what msys already
has, curl is needed for http access, and tcl/tk/wish - for gitk and
git-gui, unless you only want command-line), but will call external
applications for some things. For example, git-svn requires svn. And
msys-svn would pull the whole lot of dependencies, first of all - Apache
Runtime (apr and apr-util), which is, IMO, ill-suited to be built
against Msys (apr is portable -> to build against Msys you'd have to
patch it considerably to make it "forget" that it can run on Windows and
to force it to use Msys' POSIX compatibility layer instead). So
providing complete git with all the bells and whistles might be too much
for Msys. OTOH, besides svn i haven't found any really difficult
dependencies yet.

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

David Gressett

> When I tried the upgrade I got a huge swarm of messages like the one below. I have never seen this before,
> all previous mingw and msys upgrades and installs have worked perfectly.
> mingw-get: *** WARNING *** c:\mingw\/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.6/unicode/In/IPAExtensions.pl:unlink failed; Permission denied

Do you have something using the file? Windows will not unlink an opened
file.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

 It seems unlikely. I haven't used msys at all since my last reboot, and the msys bin directory is not in my Windows path, The new version seems to have installed. I started msys and tried perl --version and it informed me that 5.8.8 is the installed perl.

I tried the upgrade again. Usually, a duplicate mingw-get upgrade just removes the stuff being upgraded and immediately puts it back again, but this time I got a very similar swarm of error messages, but they all referred to the new 5.8.8 files.

mingw-get remove bug [Was: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1]

Charles Wilson-2
On 4/27/2011 11:12 AM, David Gressett wrote:

> When I tried the upgrade I got a huge swarm of messages like the one
> below. I have never seen this before,
> all previous mingw and msys upgrades and installs have worked perfectly.
> mingw-get: *** WARNING ***
> c:\mingw\/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.6/unicode/In/IPAExtensions.pl:unlink
> failed; Permission denied

It seems this is because both the perl-5.6.1-*-bin tarball AND the new
perl-5.8.8-1-bin tarball have files like this:

5.8.8:
-r-xr-xr-x user/group 7236 2011-04-27 00:23 bin/config_data
-r--r--r-- user/group  838 2011-04-27 00:24 lib/perl5/5.8/abbrev.pl

5.6.1:
-r-xr-xr-x user/group  119 2010-01-30 14:41 bin/cpan
-r--r--r-- user/group  838 2010-01-30 14:35 lib/perl5/5.6/abbrev.pl

That is, inside the tarball the file is listed with no write permission.
 The list of such files with missing write perms is different between
the two releases, but there is some overlap.

When mingw-get unpacks these tarballs, the affected file(s) are created
like this:

cygwin reports:
-r-xr-xr-x+ 1 user group 7.1K Apr 27 10:10 bin/config_data
-r-xr-xr-x+ 1 user group  838 Apr 27 10:10 lib/perl5/5.8/abbrev.pl

msys reports:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 user group 7236 Apr 27 10:10 /bin/config_data
-r--r--r-- 1 user group  838 Apr 27 10:10 /lib/perl5/5.8/abbrev.pl

windows gui properties reports:
config_data: The Read-only attribute is checked.
abbrev.pl:   Ditto.

I think this is a bug in mingw-get's 'remove' operation.  If it can
create the file, when running as user A, then it should be able to
delete the same file, when running as that same user A.

I think mingw-get should be modified to check if a to-be-removed file is
"read only" and remove the read-only attribute before trying to delete
it.  Only if THAT sequence fails should it report a problem to the user.

But...that doesn't help you right now!  A quick and dirty workaround is:

cd /
find bin -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w
find lib/perl5 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w
find share/man -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w
find share/doc -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w

and then

mingw-get upgrade msys-perl-[whatever]

--
Chuck

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

dhoyt
> This build contains a workaround for a POSIX-allowable but unexpected
> msys behavior in MSYS-1.0.16 and earlier.  However, best results will be
> obtained using MSYS-1.0.17 or later.

Is there an updated msys-core available via mingw-get? A fresh install for me still pulls 1.0.16. I see that on sourceforge it's up and available -- just not through mingw-get for some reason.

BTW, you guys deserve a round of applause because I know it was a lot of hard work getting perl whipped into shape for this. It's very welcome, though. Thanks again!

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Charles Wilson-2
On 4/27/2011 3:23 PM, Hoyt, David wrote:
>> This build contains a workaround for a POSIX-allowable but unexpected
>> msys behavior in MSYS-1.0.16 and earlier.  However, best results will be
>> obtained using MSYS-1.0.17 or later.
>
> Is there an updated msys-core available via mingw-get? A fresh
> install for me still pulls 1.0.16. I see that on sourceforge it's up
> and available -- just not through mingw-get for some reason.

Well, in a non-fresh install you need to first do
        mingw-get update
to download the latest package manifest data.

In a "fresh" install **using the mingw-get-inst GUI** you need to check
the "Download latest repository catalogues" box on the "Repository
Catalogues" page.  Otherwise, you're stuck with a snapshot of the
package data as of 20110316 -- as of that date, neither msys-1.0.17 nor
perl-5.8.8 had yet been released, so they don't appear in that old
manifest data.

In a "fresh" install where you manually unpack mingw-get itself, part of
the process is to run 'mingw-get update' first, so that probably doesn't
correspond to your situation.

--
Chuck

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

dhoyt
> Well, in a non-fresh install you need to first do
> mingw-get update
> to download the latest package manifest data.

That's the very first step I do after an install and after doing that, it still wasn't pulling the latest msys-core. Examining http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get/catalogue/msys-core.xml.lzma (and uncompressing it) shows that it also still references 1.0.16. Unless, somehow, a server around here has cached a stale copy of it...

Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

dhoyt
> That's the very first step I do after an install and after doing that, it still wasn't pulling the latest msys-core. Examining http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get/catalogue/msys-core.xml.lzma (and uncompressing it) shows that it also still references 1.0.16. Unless, somehow, a server around here has cached a stale copy of it...
>
> Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?

Sorry -- nevermind -- it appears that the sourceforge mirror I had been assigned had the wrong file cached. I switched to a different mirror and the correct msys-core was referenced. Is there an option/env-var in mingw-get to select a different sourceforge mirror?

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Earnie Boyd
Hoyt, David wrote:
>> That's the very first step I do after an install and after doing that, it still wasn't pulling the latest msys-core. Examining http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get/catalogue/msys-core.xml.lzma (and uncompressing it) shows that it also still references 1.0.16. Unless, somehow, a server around here has cached a stale copy of it...
>>
>> Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?
>
> Sorry -- nevermind -- it appears that the sourceforge mirror I had been assigned had the wrong file cached. I switched to a different mirror and the correct msys-core was referenced. Is there an option/env-var in mingw-get to select a different sourceforge mirror?

You can set a default mirror in SourceForge UI.  I don't know if that'll
help.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Reini Urban
2011/4/27 Charles Wilson <[hidden email]>:
> I'm pleased to announce that msys-perl has been updated from the
> 10-year-old 5.6.1 (April 9, 2001), to the young and spry 5.8.8 (Feb 2,
> 2006).
>
> To install or upgrade:
>        mingw-get update

Which netinet/in.h did you use?

When compiling an extension I get:
d:/MinGW/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.8/msys/CORE/perl.h:925:27: fatal error:
netinet/in.h: No such file or directory

$ grep -2 netinet /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/msys/CORE/config.h
/* I_NETINET_IN:
 *      This symbol, if defined, indicates to the C program that it should
 *      include <netinet/in.h>. Otherwise, you may try <sys/in.h>.
 */
#define I_NETINET_IN    /**/
--
/* I_NETINET_TCP:
 *     This symbol, if defined, indicates to the C program that it should

But I have no netinet subdir in my search path, all my msys packages
are upgraded,,
and the cygwin version includes #include <cygwin/in.h> which perl
should not use, rather winsock2.
mingw also has no arpa/inet.h and sys/times.h, ... but config.h
defines all these.

I undef'd those in config.h
I_NETINET_IN
I_ARPA_INET
I_SYS_TIMES
I_SYS_IOCTL
I_IEEEFP

But furthermore the package misses all
  /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/msys/CORE/win32*.h headers

HAS_SOCKET:
#if defined(HAS_SOCKET) && !defined(VMS) && !defined(WIN32) /*
VMS/WIN32 handle sockets via vmsish.h/win32.h */
# include <sys/socket.h>
but WIN32 is not defined in msys and we have no sys/socket.h
So we should check for some MSYS define.

$ echo|gcc -E -dM -|grep MSYS

$ echo|gcc -E -dM -|grep MING
#define __MINGW32__ 1

Furthermore:
/* undef WIN32 when building on Cygwin (for libwin32) - gph */
#if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__MSYS__)
#   undef WIN32
#   undef _WIN32
#endif

1. __MSYS__ is not defined in gcc
2. MSYS should not undef WIN32

For 5.6 I added arpa/inet.h, sys/socket.h and all win32.h headers to
the CORE dir.

Furthermore gcc/mingw32/4.5.2 does not look like to have sigjmp_buf,
only typedef int jmp_buf[16];
So I undef'd /*#define HAS_SIGSETJMP / **/ also

Then it compiles, but I got two missing syms:
C.o:C.c:(.text+0x55): undefined reference to `_imp__PL_sys_intern'
C.o:C.c:(.text+0x7c): undefined reference to `_imp__win32_async_check'
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/           http://murbreak.at/

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Earnie Boyd
Reini Urban wrote:

> 2011/4/27 Charles Wilson <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm pleased to announce that msys-perl has been updated from the
>> 10-year-old 5.6.1 (April 9, 2001), to the young and spry 5.8.8 (Feb 2,
>> 2006).
>>
>> To install or upgrade:
>>        mingw-get update
>
> Which netinet/in.h did you use?
>
> When compiling an extension I get:
> d:/MinGW/msys/1.0/lib/perl5/5.8/msys/CORE/perl.h:925:27: fatal error:
> netinet/in.h: No such file or directory

This perl is an MSYS dependent package so extensions would need to be
created in the MSYS developer environment.  See the
www.mingw.org/wiki/HOWTO and pay attention to ``MSYS HOWTOs'' section
for setting up an MSYS build environment.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Updated: msys-perl-5.8.8-1

Charles Wilson-2
On 4/28/2011 4:32 AM, Reini Urban wrote:
> 2011/4/27 Charles Wilson <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm pleased to announce that msys-perl has been updated from the
>> 10-year-old 5.6.1 (April 9, 2001), to the young and spry 5.8.8 (Feb 2,
>> 2006).
>>
>> To install or upgrade:
>>        mingw-get update
>
> Which netinet/in.h did you use?

/usr/include/netinet/in.h.  It's part of msys-core-dev.

> /* I_NETINET_TCP:
>  *     This symbol, if defined, indicates to the C program that it should
>  *     include <netinet/tcp.h>.
>  */
> #define   I_NETINET_TCP                /**/

$ ls /usr/include/netinet/
in.h  in_systm.h  ip.h  ip_icmp.h  tcp.h

> But I have no netinet subdir in my search path, all my msys packages
> are upgraded,,
> and the cygwin version includes #include <cygwin/in.h> which perl
> should not use, rather winsock2.

No, this is an *msys* perl. Not a native perl.  That "cygwin/in.h" is
what msys uses. MSYS, as a cygwin fork, still uses "cygwin" in a lot of
places where it probably should use "msys".

1) You probably haven't installed msys-core-dev.  It is not installed by
default.

2) You appear to be attempting to build your extension from within an
regular MINGW32 shell -- e.g. uname returns MINGW32_NT-6.0 or similar.
You MUST build extensions from an MSYSDVLPR shell.

> mingw also has no arpa/inet.h and sys/times.h, ... but config.h
> defines all these.

Right: mingw doesn't have those.  msys does:

$ ls /usr/include/arpa/
ftp.h  inet.h  nameser.h  nameser_compat.h  telnet.h  tftp.h

$ ls /usr/include/sys/t*
/usr/include/sys/termio.h   /usr/include/sys/time.h
/usr/include/sys/times.h    /usr/include/sys/types.h
/usr/include/sys/termios.h  /usr/include/sys/timeb.h
/usr/include/sys/ttychars.h

> I undef'd those in config.h
> I_NETINET_IN
> I_ARPA_INET
> I_SYS_TIMES
> I_SYS_IOCTL
> I_IEEEFP
>
> But furthermore the package misses all
>   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/msys/CORE/win32*.h headers

Ermm...why should it?  Cygwin doesn't have those in
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10/i686-cygwin/CORE/ either.

> HAS_SOCKET:
> #if defined(HAS_SOCKET) && !defined(VMS) && !defined(WIN32) /*
> VMS/WIN32 handle sockets via vmsish.h/win32.h */
> # include <sys/socket.h>
> but WIN32 is not defined in msys and we have no sys/socket.h

$ ls /usr/include/sys/socket.h
/usr/include/sys/socket.h

> So we should check for some MSYS define.
>
> $ echo|gcc -E -dM -|grep MSYS
>
> $ echo|gcc -E -dM -|grep MING
> #define __MINGW32__ 1

Wrong gcc -- that's /mingw/bin/gcc.  In an MSYSDVLPR shell, /usr/bin
will precede in PATH, and /usr/bin/gcc reports:

$ echo|gcc -E -dM - | grep MSYS
#define __MSYS__ 1

$ echo|gcc -E -dM - | grep MING

> Furthermore:
> /* undef WIN32 when building on Cygwin (for libwin32) - gph */
> #if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__MSYS__)
> #   undef WIN32
> #   undef _WIN32
> #endif
>
> 1. __MSYS__ is not defined in gcc

Yes, it is -- when you use the correct one.

> 2. MSYS should not undef WIN32

Yes, it should undef WIN32.  We *want* to use the msys facilities, just
like the cygwin build uses the cygwin ones.  We're not trying to build a
native win32 perl here.

> For 5.6 I added arpa/inet.h, sys/socket.h and all win32.h headers to
> the CORE dir.

URK.

It sounds like you've been "doing it wrong" for a long time.  That seems
to be a very odd way of building native win32 extensions with an MSYS
perl...I'm surprised that ever worked.

> Furthermore gcc/mingw32/4.5.2 does not look like to have sigjmp_buf,
> only typedef int jmp_buf[16];
> So I undef'd /*#define HAS_SIGSETJMP / **/ also
>
> Then it compiles, but I got two missing syms:
> C.o:C.c:(.text+0x55): undefined reference to `_imp__PL_sys_intern'
> C.o:C.c:(.text+0x7c): undefined reference to `_imp__win32_async_check'

See above.

Try again, but enter CPAN from an MSYSDVLPR shell instead. (And make
sure that you have:
        msys-gcc-bin
        msys-binutils-bin
        msys-w32api-dev