The difference between pe and pei ?

Dongsheng Song
Hi,

What's the difference between pe and pei ?

I see:

ld: supported targets: pe-i386 pei-i386 pe-x86-64 pei-x86-64 ...
ld: supported emulations: i386pe i386pep

When I use 'gcc.exe -m32 example.c', which target file format generated ?
i386pe, i386pep, pe-i386 or pei-i386 ?

When I use 'gcc.exe -m64 example.c', which target file format generated ?
pe-x86-64 or pei-x86-64 ?

For mingw-w64 tool chain, which format preferred ?

Regards,
Dongsheng

Re: The difference between pe and pei ?

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Dongsheng Song wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the difference between pe and pei ?
>
> I see:
>
> ld: supported targets: pe-i386 pei-i386 pe-x86-64 pei-x86-64 ...
> ld: supported emulations: i386pe i386pep
>
> When I use 'gcc.exe -m32 example.c', which target file format generated ?
> i386pe, i386pep, pe-i386 or pei-i386 ?
>
> When I use 'gcc.exe -m64 example.c', which target file format generated ?
> pe-x86-64 or pei-x86-64 ?
>
> For mingw-w64 tool chain, which format preferred ?

You might want to ask the mingw-w64-public list.  Though Kai can
answer here if he chooses.

Re: The difference between pe and pei ?

Dieter Verfaillie
On 2012-10-12 05:51, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the difference between pe and pei ?

This nugget of info might be useful. Start reading from line 40:
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/bfd/libpei.h?annotate=1.25&cvsroot=src

mvg,
Dieter

Re: The difference between pe and pei ?

Kai Tietz-2
2012/10/12 Dieter Verfaillie <[hidden email]>:

> On 2012-10-12 05:51, Dongsheng Song wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's the difference between pe and pei ?
>
> This nugget of info might be useful. Start reading from line 40:
> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/bfd/libpei.h?annotate=1.25&cvsroot=src
>
> mvg,
> Dieter

Hmm, not sure if that description is very understandable.  pe-coff is
the PECOFF object file format, and pei-coff is the PECOFF IMAGE
format.  One difference is that within object-files long sections
names are allowed, but in final-image they are not (yes, they get
emulated, but they aren't supported by spec).

Regards,
Kai

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/12 Dieter Verfaillie <[hidden email]>:
> > On 2012-10-12 05:51, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What's the difference between pe and pei ?
> >
> > This nugget of info might be useful. Start reading from line 40:
> > http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/bfd/libpei.h?annotate=1.25&cvsroot=src
> >
> > mvg,
> > Dieter
>
> Hmm, not sure if that description is very understandable.  pe-coff is
> the PECOFF object file format, and pei-coff is the PECOFF IMAGE
> format.  One difference is that within object-files long sections
> names are allowed, but in final-image they are not (yes, they get
> emulated, but they aren't supported by spec).
>
> Regards,
> Kai

In practice, MinGW64 gcc only generate pe-i386 and pe-x86-64 format
exe/dll files ?

2012/10/12 Dongsheng Song <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > This nugget of info might be useful. Start reading from line 40:
>> > http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/bfd/libpei.h?annotate=1.25&cvsroot=src
>> >
>> > mvg,
>> > Dieter
>>
>> Hmm, not sure if that description is very understandable.  pe-coff is
>> the PECOFF object file format, and pei-coff is the PECOFF IMAGE
>> format.  One difference is that within object-files long sections
>> names are allowed, but in final-image they are not (yes, they get
>> emulated, but they aren't supported by spec).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kai
>>

> In practice, MinGW64 gcc only generate pe-i386 and pe-x86-64 format
> exe/dll files ?
>
> Regards,
> Dongsheng

Huh?  What the heck it has to do with MinGW64?  pe-* is object-file
format, pei-* is image-file format.  And this is true for all flavors
of coff using binutils.

Regards,
Kai

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  pe-* is object-file format, pei-* is image-file format.  And this is true for all flavors
> of coff using binutils.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

It's clear now, thank you very much.