System hangs after calling GNU Scientific Library

System hangs after calling GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi everyone,

This is a follow on to an earlier question today.  I am trying to call the GNU Scientific Library.  There are several DLL's the call requires.  The DLL's are located in several directories in Cygwin (which is where I downloaded GSL).  I use the path=%PATH%; <various dll's;:> command to set the search path to find them.  This works..GSL does its thing, including outputting a MessageBox.

However, after GSL completes its computation, the system "hangs" and doesn't return with the c:\ prompt.  The only way I can get out is the old ctrl/alt/delete bit.

I can't figure out what's happening.  If anyone can make a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.

BTW, I am working off the command line, not the shell.

Thanks,
Mark Allyn

Re: System hangs after calling GNU Scientific Library

Keith Marshall
On Tuesday 09 March 2010 03:14:49 Mark Allyn wrote:
> This is a follow on to an earlier question today. I am trying to
> call the GNU Scientific Library.  There are several DLL's the call
> requires.  The DLL's are located in several directories in Cygwin
> (which is where I downloaded GSL).

This is the root cause of your problem.  If you use Cygwin libraries,
then you should also use the Cygwin environment to build and execute
your application.  You appear to be trying to mix Cygwin and MinGW
functionality in a single application, and by sheer luck...

> I use the path=%PATH%;
> <various dll's;:> command to set the search path to find them.
>  This works..GSL does its thing, including outputting a
> MessageBox.

...this much apparently sort of works.  However, by mixing your
Cygwin and MinGW environments in this manner, you are playing with
fire, and here...

> However, after GSL completes its computation, the system "hangs"
> and doesn't return with the c:\ prompt.  The only way I can get
> out is the old ctrl/alt/delete bit.

...you get burned.

> I can't figure out what's happening.  If anyone can make a
> suggestion, it would be much appreciated.

Mixing Cygwin and MinGW, as you are doing, is just asking for
trouble; DON'T DO IT!

FWIW, I found it trivially easy to build a native MinGW GSL, using a
Linux hosted cross-mingw32 tool chain; it should be equally easy to
do the same using the native MinGW-GCC, running under MSYS, (and
possibly, but less likely, even under cmd.exe).  If you must persist
with native (cmd.exe hosted) usage, this is what you should do
too[*].

If you want to continue using the Cygwin builds of GSL, then you must
abandon cmd.exe as your hosting environment; you *must* install and
*use* Cygwin, both to build and run your applications, and you must
require your students/co-workers/clients to do likewise.

> BTW, I am working off the command line, not the shell.

This makes no sense at all; the command line (interpreter) *is* a
shell, whether that shell is cmd.exe or sh.exe.  I guess what you
really mean is that your shell is the former, rather than the
latter.

[*] If it will help, I could make my native MinGW build of GSL
available on MinGW's SourceForge downloads page, but you must then
understand that this is strictly a one-time offer; I have neither
the time nor the motivation to either maintain or to provide any
continuing support for it.  Furthermore, my time availability is
severely limited at present, so I may take some time to prepare a
code bundle for distribution.

Re: System hangs after calling GNU Scientific Library

Uwe R.
Hi!

>This is a follow on to an earlier question today.  I am trying to
>call the GNU Scientific Library.  There are several DLL's the call
>requires.  The DLL's are located in several directories in Cygwin
>(which is where I downloaded GSL).  I use the path=%PATH%; <various
>dll's;:> command to set the search path to find them.  This
>works..GSL does its thing, including outputting a MessageBox.
>
>However, after GSL completes its computation, the system "hangs" and
>doesn't return with the c:\ prompt.  The only way I can get out is
>the old ctrl/alt/delete bit.
>
>I can't figure out what's happening.  If anyone can make a
>suggestion, it would be much appreciated.
>
>BTW, I am working off the command line, not the shell.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Allyn

I am not sure why and what dll are needed. I tried gsl1.12 and
gsl1.13 from the command line (compile option nowin)
and that worked fine with the updated mingw 4.4.0 environment.

I have not used any precompiled gsl packages but instead compiled
that within the msys environment.
For gsl it went just fine. I strongly suggest to do the same and try
again whether your problems remain.

Regards,
Uwe

___________________________
PD Dr. Uwe Rossow
TU Braunschweig
Inst. f. Angewandte Physik
Mendelssohnstr. 2
38106 Braunschweig
Fax: 0531-391 8511
Email: [hidden email]
Tel.: 0531-391 8523 (good luck!)

Mark Allyn wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is a follow on to an earlier question today.  I am trying to call
> the GNU Scientific Library.  There are several DLL's the call
> requires.  The DLL's are located in several directories in Cygwin
> (which is where I downloaded GSL).  I use the path=%PATH%; <various
> dll's;:> command to set the search path to find them.  This works..GSL
> does its thing, including outputting a MessageBox.

Since you are using Cygwin you will need to ask [hidden email].  We
do not support Cygwin.