Stop on first error?

123

Stop on first error?

Josh Klint

I am trying to get MinGW to recognize the -Wfatal-errors the codeblocks IDE uses to make the compiler stop on the first error.  However, the latest version 5.1.6 of MinGW gives this error:

cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"

Has the name of this tag changed?  Is it no longer supported?  If so, what was the last version of MinGW that supported this option?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Josh Klint

Re: Stop on first error?

Greg Chicares
On 2010-08-24 23:51Z, Josh Klint wrote:
> I am trying to get MinGW to recognize the -Wfatal-errors the codeblocks IDE
> uses to make the compiler stop on the first error.  However, the latest
> version 5.1.6 of MinGW gives this error:
>
> cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"

That option is still valid with the latest gcc:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Options

This seems to be a codeblocks problem. Here's a solution in French:
  http://www.siteduzero.com/forum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.html
and here's an English translation:
  http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteduzero.com%2Fforum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.html&sl=fr&tl=en

MinGW GCC version 3.4.5, latest GCC version is 4.5.1?

Josh Klint
This page indicates the latest version of GCC is 4.5.1:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/

This output from mingw32 indicates the GCC version is 3.4.5?  Why don't the
versions match?  Is MinGW outdated?:

C:\MinGW\bin>mingw32-gcc -v
Reading specs from /mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld
--wi
th-gnu-as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads
--dis
able-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32-registry
--d
isable-shared --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt
--with
out-x --enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj-debug --enable-interpreter
--enabl
e-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)

Best Regards,

Josh Klint

> I am trying to get MinGW to recognize the -Wfatal-errors the codeblocks
IDE
> uses to make the compiler stop on the first error.  However, the latest
> version 5.1.6 of MinGW gives this error:
>
> cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"

That option is still valid with the latest gcc:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Opt
ions

This seems to be a codeblocks problem. Here's a solution in French:
  http://www.siteduzero.com/forum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.html
and here's an English translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&e
otf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteduzero.com%2Fforum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.
html&sl=fr&tl=en

Re: Stop on first error?

Josh Klint
The only advice given in that forum thread is to disable the option.  I want
very much for the compiler to stop on the first error.

This is the output from codeblocks:

-------------- Build: Release Win32 in LE3 ---------------

Compiling: ..\LuaJIT-1.1.6\src\lapi.c
cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

Best Regards,

Josh Klint

> I am trying to get MinGW to recognize the -Wfatal-errors the codeblocks
IDE
> uses to make the compiler stop on the first error.  However, the latest
> version 5.1.6 of MinGW gives this error:
>
> cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"

That option is still valid with the latest gcc:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Opt
ions

This seems to be a codeblocks problem. Here's a solution in French:
  http://www.siteduzero.com/forum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.html
and here's an English translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&e
otf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteduzero.com%2Fforum-83-298807-p1-compilation-cb.
html&sl=fr&tl=en

Re: Stop on first error?

Jasper Horn
Greg Chicares wrote:
> That option is still valid with the latest gcc:
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Options

Yeah, wrong page. It's valid for the latest version of gcc indeed, but
the mingw 5.1.6 does not provide the latest gcc, it provides some gcc
3 version. I don't feel like installing it to see which one exactly,
but it doesn't matter really.

Josh Klint wrote:
> I am trying to get MinGW to recognize the -Wfatal-errors the codeblocks IDE
> uses to make the compiler stop on the first error.  However, the latest
> version 5.1.6 of MinGW gives this error:
>
> cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"

As seen here, there is no such an option in gcc 3:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Options

MinGW-5.1.6 is the latest installer and meant to be the last one ever,
yet it is quite old. The intention is being replaced by mingw-get.
Unfortunately, mingw-get isn't done yet and as such, only gets you gcc
3 as well. This means the only official way to install gcc 4 is to do
a manual install.

There are unofficial ways, but they are considered off topic here, so
I can only tell you to search for them yourself. Other projects, like
TDM and mingw64 do offer recent installers, so they could be an
alternative.

To the mingw "crew":

This is the third time in a very short time I have had to tell this
story. It seems to me this message should be (more obviously) on the
site. On top of that, I would like to urge you to do the following:
provide a method to install a recent version of gcc (other than
manual). Perhaps this means that mingw-get should be able to install
gcc 4 real soon, perhaps this means that you should adapt some
temporary install method as "official" until mingw-get is able to
install gcc 4. I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot and
losing users by not doing so. I don't like to have to mention other
mingw projects in order to be able to mention recent mingw installers.

Jasper

Re: MinGW GCC version 3.4.5, latest GCC version is 4.5.1?

Uwe R.
Hi!

>This page indicates the latest version of GCC is 4.5.1:
>http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/
>
>This output from mingw32 indicates the GCC version is 3.4.5?  Why don't the
>versions match?  Is MinGW outdated?:

There is a discussion on this list since a year or so
about the various requests of updates and the last updates made.
In the file list it is easily recognizable that the present version is >4.5.

There have various descriptions how to use mingw-get and the problems with it:

I wondering if it becomes unpopular to read
or if the people loose that ability.
Is that popular (the young generation?) now to just hack into the
keyboard what momentarily
crosses the mind?

Best regards
Uwe

___________________________
PD Dr. Uwe Rossow
TU Braunschweig
Inst. f. Angewandte Physik
Mendelssohnstr. 2
38106 Braunschweig
Fax: 0531-391 8511
Email: [hidden email]
Tel.: 0531-391 8523 (good luck!)

Josh Klint wrote:
> This page indicates the latest version of GCC is 4.5.1:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/
>
> This output from mingw32 indicates the GCC version is 3.4.5?  Why don't the
> versions match?  Is MinGW outdated?:

Yes and no.

Yes, the installer MinGW 5.1.6 is the most recent, but the last of its
line and a as such outdated. However, it was discontinued while its
replacement (mingw-get) was still in development without providing any
alternative in the mean time. Time has passed and mingw-get is still
in development and as such only provides gcc 3, which is quite
outdated.

No, mingw itself is not outdated, though, it's just what the
installers provide. You can do a manual install or try custom
(unsupported) install scripts. Another option is to find another
project that does provide an easy installer (TDM and mingw64 are some
examples).

Jasper

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett

> This is the third time in a very short time I have had to tell this
> story. It seems to me this message should be (more obviously) on the
> site. On top of that, I would like to urge you to do the following:
> provide a method to install a recent version of gcc (other than
> manual). Perhaps this means that mingw-get should be able to install
> gcc 4 real soon, perhaps this means that you should adapt some
> temporary install method as "official" until mingw-get is able to
> install gcc 4. I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot and
> losing users by not doing so. I don't like to have to mention other
> mingw projects in order to be able to mention recent mingw installers.

Unfortunately, have to say I agree! The first item you come to on the SF
downloads page is "Automated MinGW Installer" which one would reasonably
assume to be the THE installer. The user comments on SF mostly run along
the lines of "great toolchain - nightmare install". The 5.1.6 installer
is still getting ~2000 downloads a day.

I was planning to have a look at the code for the old Nullsoft installer
to see how easy this would be to update, if only for my own use, but
haven't got far due to pressures of work. Might an update of the
installer be a good short-term fix until mingw-get is ready (as a GUI)?

Peter

Re: Stop on first error?

Keith Marshall

Isn't http://mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started sufficiently obvious?

>> On top of that, I would like to urge you to do the following:
>> provide a method to install a recent version of gcc (other than
>> manual). Perhaps this means that mingw-get should be able to install
>> gcc 4 real soon,

All that is missing is a fragment -- okay, it's a fairly substantial
fragment -- of XML, to describe the package dependencies.

>> perhaps this means that you should adapt some
>> temporary install method as "official" until mingw-get is able to
>> install gcc 4. I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot and
>> losing users by not doing so. I don't like to have to mention other
>> mingw projects in order to be able to mention recent mingw installers.
>
> Unfortunately, have to say I agree! The first item you come to on the SF
> downloads page is "Automated MinGW Installer" which one would reasonably
> assume to be the THE installer.

And this is now mingw-get; MinGW-5.1.6 is dead, and buried.

> The user comments on SF mostly run along
> the lines of "great toolchain - nightmare install". The 5.1.6 installer
> is still getting ~2000 downloads a day.
>
> I was planning to have a look at the code for the old Nullsoft installer
> to see how easy this would be to update, if only for my own use, but
> haven't got far due to pressures of work.

Right.  That's exactly why mingw-get isn't ready yet -- at this moment in
the development cycle, there are only two developers who are actively
contributing to the effort of generating the needed XML description files;
both of us have constraints on *our* time.

> Might an update of the
> installer be a good short-term fix until mingw-get is ready[?]

If you want to contribute one, be my guest; I will not be wasting even
one more second on development of an NSIS based solution.  Your time
would likely be better spent on helping out with the mingw-get XML.

> (as a GUI)?

So, you think it necessary to provide a GUI installer for a product which
is designated for CLI use?  If a user can't type (at a CLI prompt):

   mingw-get install foo

how do you expect them to manage:

   gcc -o foo.exe foo.c

(or the more complex sequence of commands typical of a real project)?
IMO, a functional CLI capable installer is where the current focus needs
to be; a GUI wrapper can come later.

Re: Stop on first error?

Jasper Horn
Keith Marshall wrote:
> Isn't http://mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started sufficiently obvious?

Apparently not.

(though in combination with burying mingw-5.1.6 it might be)

> If you want to contribute one, be my guest; I will not be wasting even
> one more second on development of an NSIS based solution.

How about not continuing the old type of installer, but simply having
an installer that contains an archive containing the results of a
manual install which it extracts?
As a temporary solution it wouldn't need an option to download it all
first, nor would it have to be updated every time a package is
updated, nor would it have to have options what to install and what
not to install. I don't believe this should take more than one or two
hours (perhaps with NSIS, but there are other options). It needn't be
a fully functional installer, just something that works well enough
for now.
(Note that I have never done a manual install yet, so I would have to
put some more time into it (though I don't think it would be a
problem, a manual install doesn't seem all that complicated; the main
problem is there only being a step by step guide, not just a simple
"you need to extract these packages to a directory"-type of guide). On
top of that, this would have to be done by someone who has an
installation already - so it can't be done for one's own gain, meaning
it won't be done until it is promised it will be "supported"
beforehand)

> Your time
> would likely be better spent on helping out with the mingw-get XML.

If an installer can get done in less time than it would take to get
mingw-get to work with gcc 4, then I would say it isn't better spend
on mingw-get. With a statistic like 2000 users a day previously
downloading mingw-5.1.6, I think one will currently lose at least a
dozen users every hour who give up on mingw(.org) (some of whom gave
up before, some of whom downloaded the old installer previously), so
every hour saved is valuable.

> So, you think it necessary to provide a GUI installer for a product which
> is designated for CLI use?  If a user can't type (at a CLI prompt):
>
>   mingw-get install foo
>
> how do you expect them to manage:
>
>   gcc -o foo.exe foo.c

Through an IDE?

Nevertheless, it is indeed most important to have some installer
working first, not necessary a GUI installer (though I would like to
second a suggestion made elsewhere on this list: having a GUI
installer that installs mingw-get and then runs it with some default
parameters to bridge the gap that exists from the moment the mingw-get
CLI is completed to the moment the mingw-get GUI is).

Jasper

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett

> So, you think it necessary to provide a GUI installer for a product which
> is designated for CLI use?  If a user can't type (at a CLI prompt):
>
>     mingw-get install foo
>
> how do you expect them to manage:
>
>     gcc -o foo.exe foo.c
>
> (or the more complex sequence of commands typical of a real project)?

1) I can honestly say in many years of using various C(++) compilers, I
have never once invoked a compiler from the CLI! (Apart from indirectly
via make files.)  I have only ever used an IDE for my own projects.
Everybody I know uses an IDE. I suppose there must be command-line
warriors left but they're surely a dying breed.

2) Typing mingw-get install foo once isn't the problem. It's the fact
that you have to type mingw-get install umpteen times (for gmp, mpfr,
mpi, etc.) to get the toolchain working. If you want ada or fortran
there's other stuff to type. Of course this could all be usefully
automated in batch files, one for the base C compiler, one for C++,
another for C and fortran, etc., etc.  That gives a 1-from-N choice
where N is a large number. A GUI is an obvious way to solve that
1-from-N problem...

Re: Stop on first error?

Jasper Horn
Peter Rockett wrote:
> I suppose there must be command-line
> warriors left but they're surely a dying breed.

I think that's just plain untrue. Luckily, it's quite irrelevant to
your (our) point.

Jasper

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett

>> I suppose there must be command-line
>> warriors left but they're surely a dying breed.
> I think that's just plain untrue. Luckily, it's quite irrelevant to
> your (our) point.

OK. Happy to stand corrected. But I don't know any...

Peter

Re: Stop on first error?

Geert Depuydt
> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:05:16 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Stop on first error?
>

> Isn't http://mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started sufficiently obvious?

NO, the getting started isn't sufficient. I went through the manual install recently and it is a BIG PITA.

The stuff you need seems scattered all over the damn place.

For people just starting out in this field it just feels like I was doing it wrong or something (but apparently not! back to the 80s).

Detailed information about WHAT i'm installing isn't easily accessible, especially for people without any experience.

So I end up with a lot of questions and the answer to them doesn't seem trivial (not even with google, or reading the webpage top to bottom)

Also, some of the people running this board are so hautain that I wouldn't even want to ask any questions here.

Anyway, i got it all to work, i don't really care about Mingw, as long as it compiles c++ code on my windows box i'm happy.

Carry on.

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett wrote:

>> So, you think it necessary to provide a GUI installer for a product which
>> is designated for CLI use?  If a user can't type (at a CLI prompt):
>>
>>      mingw-get install foo
>>
>> how do you expect them to manage:
>>
>>      gcc -o foo.exe foo.c
>>
>> (or the more complex sequence of commands typical of a real project)?
>
> 1) I can honestly say in many years of using various C(++) compilers, I
> have never once invoked a compiler from the CLI! (Apart from indirectly
> via make files.)  I have only ever used an IDE for my own projects.
> Everybody I know uses an IDE. I suppose there must be command-line
> warriors left but they're surely a dying breed.

I hate IDE as much or more than you dislike CLI.  For one thing the IDE
hides things that you need to know.  You need to think about that
program you're creating and using an IDE hides much of the interaction
of the libraries.  But then I am one of the dying breed who started IT
life with 32K words of memory to execute a program in.  I had to write a
file for the linker to code in what object files to have in memory to
satisfy the dependencies for other object files being used.  Now we need
4G memory just to run the OS and do something productive.  I blame the
lazy ones who use the IDE for this creep of memory usage.

> 2) Typing mingw-get install foo once isn't the problem. It's the fact
> that you have to type mingw-get install umpteen times (for gmp, mpfr,
> mpi, etc.) to get the toolchain working. If you want ada or fortran
> there's other stuff to type. Of course this could all be usefully
> automated in batch files, one for the base C compiler, one for C++,
> another for C and fortran, etc., etc.  That gives a 1-from-N choice
> where N is a large number. A GUI is an obvious way to solve that
> 1-from-N problem...

Actually, you just install the toolchain you want and the dependencies
will be installed for you.  So the meta data for mingw-get could have a
"toolchain" called Fortran and the meta data for the "toolchain" would
know which packages were needed to be installed.  I don't see that as
too much of a hardship.  The problem becomes the creation of the
"toolchain" meta data just like when I was telling the linker what
objects to have in my 64K bytes of memory.  Someone has to type rather
than clicking or dragging and dropping in a GUI.

Anecdote: A GUI is for those without a CLUI.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Stop on first error?

Jasper Horn
Earnie wrote:
> Anecdote: A GUI is for those without a CLUI.

Right.

Now that the irrelevant calling of names* is over, can we get to the
point? There are people that require a GUI, so are we ready to lose
them or are we providing them with one? (at the very least until
mingw-get is done)

Jasper

*alright it was mild, but it's the best term I could come up with

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett

> Anecdote: A GUI is for those without a CLUI.
:-)

Earnie, I'm curious what an IDE "hides" that a CLI invocation tells you?

Re: Helping with mingw-get [WAS: Stop on first error?]

Keith Marshall wrote:
>> Might an update of the
>> installer be a good short-term fix until mingw-get is ready[?]
>
> If you want to contribute one, be my guest; I will not be wasting even
> one more second on development of an NSIS based solution.  Your time
> would likely be better spent on helping out with the mingw-get XML.

Let me reiterate the point about "time would likely be better spent".
Help with creating the meta data XML files would be greatly appreciated.
  You can find examples of what is required at
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/mingw-dist/mingw32/ and
you can submit patches to
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2435&atid=302435 for
consideration.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett wrote:

>> This is the third time in a very short time I have had to tell this
>> story. It seems to me this message should be (more obviously) on the
>> site. On top of that, I would like to urge you to do the following:
>> provide a method to install a recent version of gcc (other than
>> manual). Perhaps this means that mingw-get should be able to install
>> gcc 4 real soon, perhaps this means that you should adapt some
>> temporary install method as "official" until mingw-get is able to
>> install gcc 4. I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot and
>> losing users by not doing so. I don't like to have to mention other
>> mingw projects in order to be able to mention recent mingw installers.
>
> Unfortunately, have to say I agree! The first item you come to on the SF
> downloads page is "Automated MinGW Installer" which one would reasonably
> assume to be the THE installer. The user comments on SF mostly run along
> the lines of "great toolchain - nightmare install". The 5.1.6 installer
> is still getting ~2000 downloads a day.
>
> I was planning to have a look at the code for the old Nullsoft installer
> to see how easy this would be to update, if only for my own use, but
> haven't got far due to pressures of work. Might an update of the
> installer be a good short-term fix until mingw-get is ready (as a GUI)?

It really only requires a patch to
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?view=markup&pathrev=MinGW-5_1_6
so that the correct files are found.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Stop on first error?

Peter Rockett
  On 25/08/10 13:23, Earnie wrote:

> Peter Rockett wrote:
>>> This is the third time in a very short time I have had to tell this
>>> story. It seems to me this message should be (more obviously) on the
>>> site. On top of that, I would like to urge you to do the following:
>>> provide a method to install a recent version of gcc (other than
>>> manual). Perhaps this means that mingw-get should be able to install
>>> gcc 4 real soon, perhaps this means that you should adapt some
>>> temporary install method as "official" until mingw-get is able to
>>> install gcc 4. I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot and
>>> losing users by not doing so. I don't like to have to mention other
>>> mingw projects in order to be able to mention recent mingw installers.
>> Unfortunately, have to say I agree! The first item you come to on the SF
>> downloads page is "Automated MinGW Installer" which one would reasonably
>> assume to be the THE installer. The user comments on SF mostly run along
>> the lines of "great toolchain - nightmare install". The 5.1.6 installer
>> is still getting ~2000 downloads a day.
>>
>> I was planning to have a look at the code for the old Nullsoft installer
>> to see how easy this would be to update, if only for my own use, but
>> haven't got far due to pressures of work. Might an update of the
>> installer be a good short-term fix until mingw-get is ready (as a GUI)?
>>
> It really only requires a patch to
> http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?view=markup&pathrev=MinGW-5_1_6
> so that the correct files are found.

Maybe. The installer also messes with the Windows registry which I
regard as an undesirable feature. It also does not install gdb. I will
try to find some time to have a look, if only for my own amusement.

Peter

123