Status of MSYS2?

12

Status of MSYS2?

Alan W. Irwin
I am tired of dealing with one particular long-standing
MSYS1 bug <http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1950> which
turns attempts to do parallel builds on MinGW/MSYS into
infinite loops.  So I would like to give MSYS2 a try instead.

What is the status of MSYS2?  Is it true it is going to have a close
association with Cygwin so that traditional Cygwin packages will
benefit from MSYS2 package debugging and vice versa?

Is there an automatic installer for MSYS2?  If not,
is there a comprehensive tarball that allows users
to install all of it?

And finally is bug 1950 solved for MSYS2?

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

niXman-2
> What is the status of MSYS2?
stable.

> Is there an automatic installer for MSYS2?
please read:
http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/

> And finally is bug 1950 solved for MSYS2?
yes ;)

--
Regards, niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW-W64 compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alexpux

I am tired of dealing with one particular long-standing
MSYS1 bug <http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1950> which
turns attempts to do parallel builds on MinGW/MSYS into
infinite loops.  So I would like to give MSYS2 a try instead.

What is the status of MSYS2?  Is it true it is going to have a close
association with Cygwin so that traditional Cygwin packages will
benefit from MSYS2 package debugging and vice versa?

MSYS2 is widely used now in many projects.

About install procedure you can read here:  https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation.

MSYS2 not yet integrated with Cygwin but I have plans for adding MSYS-mode as plugin for Cygwin. Then you can use all Cygwin packages.
Just now MSYS2 has it's own package manager PACMAN - ported form Arch Linux. Once installing MSYS2 you can easily get new packages and updates for it.
Also MSYS2 has mingw-w64 repositories - it contains big number of prebuilded packages for mingw-w64 both 32 and 64 bit.

Is there an automatic installer for MSYS2?  If not,
is there a comprehensive tarball that allows users
to install all of it?

MSYS2 is deployed via archive that you can download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/Base/
It contain minimal set of utilities to be able run MSYS2 and package manager. If you are developer then you need install base-deve group of packages or just packages that you want.

And finally is bug 1950 solved for MSYS2?

MSYS2 doesn't have this bug.

Regards,
Alexey.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 03:12:11 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Alan W. Irwin" <[hidden email]>
>
> I am tired of dealing with one particular long-standing
> MSYS1 bug <http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1950> which
> turns attempts to do parallel builds on MinGW/MSYS into
> infinite loops.

It's not an MSYS thing, AFAIK.  It's a Make thing.  There are builds
of a newer MSYS Make out there, and I'm using one of them with MSYS1
with no problems.  I always run "make -j8" on a Core i7 machine with a
64-bit Windows 7 installed on it, and it never hung for me.

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alexpux

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 03:12:11 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Alan W. Irwin" <[hidden email]>
>
> I am tired of dealing with one particular long-standing
> MSYS1 bug <http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1950> which
> turns attempts to do parallel builds on MinGW/MSYS into
> infinite loops.

It's not an MSYS thing, AFAIK.  It's a Make thing.  There are builds
of a newer MSYS Make out there, and I'm using one of them with MSYS1
with no problems.  I always run "make -j8" on a Core i7 machine with a
64-bit Windows 7 installed on it, and it never hung for me.

Yes I maintain some times ago MSYS1 builds. But I don't do it now because I create MSYS2 project.
MSYS1 archives with working MAKE you can find on our site. This is the last archive that I create:

Regards,
Alexey.

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alan W. Irwin
Thanks to everyone who responded.  It really opened my eyes to how
far MSYS2 has proceeded.

My use case is I build and test the multiplatform PLplot software on
both Linux and Windows (Wine-1.6.1 in my case).  The CMake-based
PLplot build and test system tests the software that is built by
running custom targets which run all our standard plot examples in
many different computer languages with the aid of bash scripts. Of
course, PLplot is only as powerful as its dependencies so it includes
the epa_build subproject to build most of the PLplot dependencies
(such as pango, cairo, Qt4, and wxwidgets, Tcl/Tk/Itcl/Itk/Iwidgets)
using cmake's extremely convenient ExternalProject_Add command).

All of epa_build works fine on Linux (which is especially useful for
our Enterprise Linux users who want to try the latest versions of the
PLplot dependencies).

A substantial subset of epa_build works on MinGW/MSYS1 (the versions
of those packages which I downloaded with the automatic installer),
and for that subset I have just completed a 100 per cent successful
comprehensive test of PLplot.  So I am fairly happy with the current
situation (despite bug 1950 :-) ).

However, if MSYS2 contains some/all of the above packages that
epa_build is currently unable to build on Wine-1.6.1, then that would
provide an even more powerful test environment for PLplot on that
platform.  And in any case, it sounds like MSYS2 will provide a good
environment (sans 1950) for epa_build.

So I am going to give MinGW-builds (which apparently includes the
compilers used to build MSYS2 if my so-far superficial reading is
correct) and MSYS2 a try, and see how far I can push epa_build and
PLplot testing on Wine-1.6.1 for that combination.

Is this the right place to report and discuss such results or is
there another mailing list I should be using that is dedicated to
MSYS2?

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alan W. Irwin
On 2014-02-07 15:25+0400 Alexey Pavlov wrote:

> Also MSYS2 has mingw-w64 repositories - it contains big number of
> prebuilded packages for mingw-w64 both 32 and 64 bit.

Hi Alexey:

Is the mingw-w64 version formally documented for those repositories?
I need to use the same mingw-w64 version when building PLplot against
those repositories.  Otherwise, there is a chance of ABI
inconsistencies.

Also, where do I get binary versions of mingw-w64 suitable for a
32-bit Windows system?  The
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/ site appears to say they
have joined https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64, but the latter
site has lots of different results in its file area so I am having
trouble finding what I need.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alan W. Irwin
Another follow up:

I downloaded and unpacked msys2-base-i686-20140205.tar.xz
to create the mingw32 subdirectory which I renamed to
MSYS2-20140205

but how do I start MSYS2 from wine?

For the MSYS1 case, I do that as follows:

nice -19 wineconsole --backend=curses MinGW-4.7.2/msys/1.0/bin/bash.exe

Then after that I source a file to put both MinGW and MSYS on the PATH and
continue with additional MinGW and MSYS commands that become available then.

http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2 installation/ states that
I should run "msys2_shell.bat" before doing anything else.  I tried

nice -19 wineconsole --backend=curses MSYS2-20140205/msys2_shell.bat

but the result is wineconsole comes up momentarily than exits.

Finally, I tried getting into MSYS1 bash (the first nice command
above), setting the PATH to put MSYS2-20140205/bin first on the PATH, then
executing _the MSYS1_ version of cmd.  From there here is what PATH
looked like:

Z:\home\wine\newstart>path
PATH=z:\home\wine\newstart\MSYS2-20140205\bin;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\wbem

I then ran

MSYS2-20140205\msys2_shell.bat

from that environment.  That might have partially worked.  For example, the prompt
was changed from

Z:\home\wine\newstart>

bash.exe-3.1$

but MSYS2 commands like ls simply returned after that without
producing any output so that new prompt might have been a sign of an
abnormal termination of cmd back to the MSYS1 bash environment.
On the other hand, ls is definitely the MSYS2 version since MSYS1
is not on my PATH (as you can see above).

Anyhow, whether I try any command or not type anything after running
msys2_shell.bat, eventually a Wine error box appears, and I have to
exit wineconsole.

So having tried everything I can think of, does someone have a clue
about how to start MSYS2 properly from wine?

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alexpux

[...]

I'm not try to use MSYS2 on wine but you can try to start mintty directly.
If it fail then try run MSYS2 strace with mintty as parameter and send me log.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alan W. Irwin
On 2014-02-07 17:27-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> So having tried everything I can think of, does someone have a clue
> about how to start MSYS2 properly from wine?

To bring this thread to a conclusion, I am now virtually positive this
issue is due to a Wine bug that occurs for both the latest stable
(1.6.1) and development (1.7.12) versions of Wine.  For further
discussion see http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35561.

Until that Wine bug is resolved, I will be forced to continue with
MSYS1 on Wine.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Erwin Waterlander

op 07-02-14 12:18, niXman schreef:

>> What is the status of MSYS2?
> stable.
>
>> Is there an automatic installer for MSYS2?
> please read:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
>
>> And finally is bug 1950 solved for MSYS2?
> yes ;)

Hi,

I changed end of November to MSYS2/MinGW-w64 and I think it is very
good. The support for POSIX style Large File Support (LFS) for the 32
bit compiler helped me solve problems.

best regards,

Erwin

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Paul Moore
On 9 February 2014 22:31, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I changed end of November to MSYS2/MinGW-w64 and I think it is very
> good. The support for POSIX style Large File Support (LFS) for the 32
> bit compiler helped me solve problems.

Can I just clarify - msys2 is a replacement for msys, presumably. As
such, am I right in thinking that it provides a build environment that
will ruin configure scripts, but it *doesn't* provide any difference
in terms of runtime capabilities? Those are provided by the MinGW-W64
side of things? So if I'm already using mingw-w64 with the existing
msys, I won't find that any programs that currently don't build
(without porting effort) will suddenly build simply because msys2 has
"more capabilities"?

I just want to be clear, because some programs (such as chunks of
coreutils) won't build under msys/mingw-w64, and I'm assuming that
switching to msys2 won't change that?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Erwin Waterlander

op 09-02-14 23:48, Paul Moore schreef:

> On 9 February 2014 22:31, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I changed end of November to MSYS2/MinGW-w64 and I think it is very
>> good. The support for POSIX style Large File Support (LFS) for the 32
>> bit compiler helped me solve problems.
> Can I just clarify - msys2 is a replacement for msys, presumably. As
> such, am I right in thinking that it provides a build environment that
> will ruin configure scripts, but it *doesn't* provide any difference
> in terms of runtime capabilities? Those are provided by the MinGW-W64
> side of things? So if I'm already using mingw-w64 with the existing
> msys, I won't find that any programs that currently don't build
> (without porting effort) will suddenly build simply because msys2 has
> "more capabilities"?
>
> I just want to be clear, because some programs (such as chunks of
> coreutils) won't build under msys/mingw-w64, and I'm assuming that
> switching to msys2 won't change that?

It depends what you need. I needed a new perl version for documentation.
Msys perl 5.8.8 is too old for me. In msys2 you have perl 5.18.

regards,
Erwin

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Paul Moore
On 9 February 2014 23:10, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It depends what you need. I needed a new perl version for documentation.
> Msys perl 5.8.8 is too old for me. In msys2 you have perl 5.18.

Fair enough. I tend not to use tools like that from msys, but rather
use native builds, sticking to msys for "core" Unix functionaity like
coreutils, tar, the shell itself, things like that, so I haven't hit
issues like this. But thanks for the clarification.

Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Erwin Waterlander
Paul Moore schreef op 2014-02-10 08:58:

> On 9 February 2014 23:10, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It depends what you need. I needed a new perl version for
>> documentation.
>> Msys perl 5.8.8 is too old for me. In msys2 you have perl 5.18.
>
> Fair enough. I tend not to use tools like that from msys, but rather
> use native builds, sticking to msys for "core" Unix functionaity like
> coreutils, tar, the shell itself, things like that, so I haven't hit
> issues like this. But thanks for the clarification.

I look at the msys2 *project* as a whole. It is more than a replacement
for msys. It is a complete package: msys2 shell with build environment,
compilers for 32 and 64 bit, an installer, lots of extra standard
libraries (like iconv, libintl, ncurses) and utilities.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alexpux

On 9 February 2014 23:10, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It depends what you need. I needed a new perl version for documentation.
> Msys perl 5.8.8 is too old for me. In msys2 you have perl 5.18.

Fair enough. I tend not to use tools like that from msys, but rather
use native builds, sticking to msys for "core" Unix functionaity like
coreutils, tar, the shell itself, things like that, so I haven't hit
issues like this. But thanks for the clarification.

In most cases you can't use Mingw-Perl with autotools. You need msys-perl. Also many packages use other build methods as autotools - gyp, cmake, scons and etc. MSYS2 contains tools needed for building various packages, fetch their sources from repositories (wget,curl,git,subversion,mercurial), create packages/update/install/uninstall and so on. Developing MSYS2 focused on giving users necessary functionality to maintain any kind of software.
Those who need only core functionality can only use msys2-base snapshots.

Regards,
Alexey.

Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Paul Moore
On 10 February 2014 09:15, waterlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I look at the msys2 *project* as a whole. It is more than a replacement
> for msys. It is a complete package: msys2 shell with build environment,
> compilers for 32 and 64 bit, an installer, lots of extra standard
> libraries (like iconv, libintl, ncurses) and utilities.

Cool. Probably not so useful for my requirements, then. The code I'm
building fails with the latest version of mingw64 gcc, so I have to
pin to a specific older version, and I need to force static builds
which I generally find easier if I build my own libiconv etc. But I
might look at it anyway out of curiosity, as it sounds like an
interesting project.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Alexpux

On 10 February 2014 09:15, waterlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I look at the msys2 *project* as a whole. It is more than a replacement
> for msys. It is a complete package: msys2 shell with build environment,
> compilers for 32 and 64 bit, an installer, lots of extra standard
> libraries (like iconv, libintl, ncurses) and utilities.

Cool. Probably not so useful for my requirements, then. The code I'm
building fails with the latest version of mingw64 gcc, so I have to
pin to a specific older version, and I need to force static builds
which I generally find easier if I build my own libiconv etc. But I
might look at it anyway out of curiosity, as it sounds like an
interesting project.

Maybe you paste bin your error to see what happen on your build?

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

Paul Moore
On 10 February 2014 09:36, Alexey Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe you paste bin your error to see what happen on your build?

I'll see if I can get the time, but (a) it's a pretty long and tedious
process to generate the error, and (b) I did find a confirmation that
it's a known bug in gcc 4.8.0 compared to 4.6.3 (gcc 4.8.0 and gnulib
have incompatible stat64 #defines for Windows, IIRC). So I just
dropped back to 4.6.3 rather than worrying about trying to fix/patch
gnulib as I don't really need the latest and greatest gcc anyway...

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Status of MSYS2?

> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 07:58:33 +0000
> From: Paul Moore <[hidden email]>
>
> On 9 February 2014 23:10, Erwin Waterlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It depends what you need. I needed a new perl version for documentation.
> > Msys perl 5.8.8 is too old for me. In msys2 you have perl 5.18.
>
> Fair enough. I tend not to use tools like that from msys, but rather
> use native builds, sticking to msys for "core" Unix functionaity like
> coreutils, tar, the shell itself, things like that, so I haven't hit
> issues like this. But thanks for the clarification.

Beware: unless you build natively with special-purpose patches, the
resulting binaries might not be suitable for running as part of
MSYS-based environment used to build other native MinGW programs.
E.g., native builds generally use text mode I/O by default, thus
producing Windows-style CRLF end-of-line format, while Posix build
environments will generally want Unix-style LF-only newlines.

12